Heads up---Tonian Labs TL-D1

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
Heads up---Tonian Labs TL-D1
« on: 6 Jul 2009, 05:34 am »
Just wanted to give a big heads up on the Tonian Labs TL-D1 speakers.
In a word, breathtaking. In another word, the price is going up Aug 1st.
I've been lusting after these speakers since I first heard a version of them
some 6 years ago. These are an improved version and due to costs and the
devaluing dollar, the price is due for an increase of some $400 or so. I got mine for $2150 (before taxes). I've never heard any speaker like them: they are so revealing and natural sounding. I spent a good 3 hours listening to them and just had to get them. They are the best  speaker I've heard, period.  No other speaker sounds so right as these. Just google the name and read the reviews. The Tonian site is down but if you are in the L.A. area, you owe yourself a favor to go and audition these beauties. You can contact Elliot at Acoustic Image at 1-818-762-1501 and audition them. Be prepared to be WOWED. I can't wait to hear them through my 30.2.

pardales

Re: Heads up---Tonian Labs TL-D1
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2009, 01:05 pm »
I owned these speaker for about 4 months last year. Enjoyed them very much. If you have a chance to hear a pair, it is worth it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2009, 01:58 pm »
Interesting...  It seems as if nonoise replaced his Horn Shoppe Horns with Tonian Labs TL-D1 and pardales replaced his Tonian Labs TL-D1 ) with Horn Shoppe Horns. 

R Browne

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2009, 04:59 pm »
Good recommendation. You're in for a real treat with these speakers. I've owned a pair for the past year after I had an in home demo of the TL-D1's provided by Tony Minasian, the designer/builder. They sound great with RWA amplification. I've also used them with an Audio Note M1 pre and P2SE amp combo and a 47 Labs Shigaraki 4717 integrated and the speakers reveal the differences in amplification. I've no desire to look any further regarding speakers. They are very musically satisfying.

I don't know what recent improvements have been made but I do know a change in the crossover was made from the original design. Tony told me my pair was the first to implement the new crossover. They take awhile to break-in with the results being a smoother frequency response, better imaging and improved soundstage. 

Did you get a chance to hear any of Tony's personal recordings? He has developed some innovations in recording music with amazingly good results.

Let us know how the TL-D1's work out for you. I have a Sig 30, but I suspect that knowing the speakers and reading descriptions of the 30.2 improvements, that the 30.2 will be a great match for them.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2009, 12:50 am »
Hi Nonoise,

Thanks for the post - I've always wanted to hear a pair of Tonian Labs speakers (hopefully one of these days). 

Your 30.2 should drive them with ease!

Enjoy,

Vinnie

nonoise

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2009, 06:49 am »
Thanks all!
Yes, R. Browne, Tony did play some of his recordings and my jaw did hit the floor. The drum kit was displayed right in front of me. I also brought in some of my discs and it turned out that Tony was a big fan of one of the artists and things took a turn for the better after that. I've never had someone let Tony (almonduck) and I play tracks for the better part of 3 hours and it was pure bliss.
Vinnie: I know you have the WLM line, but yes, you do have to find some time to hear these. The usual audiofool descriptions do and don't apply as these speakers kind of transcend any meaningful terms. They simply sing like nothing else I've heard.
I've got a about a week to go as he builds them but I will keep you guys posted.

Happy listening,
Tim

bluemike

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2009, 05:17 pm »
I had a pair of Tonian TL NFSM monitors a while back
They are very good speakers and have since been replaced with far more expensive speakers
Tony M is a genius and a great guy to talk to

I'm glad to hear others feel the same and his speakers are getting recognition they deserve

I haven't heard the TL D1 though but would love to at sometime  :D
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 02:27 pm by bluemike »

almonduck

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2009, 10:10 pm »
I was there with nonoise, Tony M, and Elliot of Acoustic Image listening to the TL-D1.  Thank you Tony M and Elliot for letting us stay so long.  I also have Horn Shoppe Horns (after a demo at nonoise's last year) and agree with everything that's being said about the TL-D1.  Open, relaxed, enough bottom end, great balance and something extra with the tone--maybe the way the cabinets are constructed.  Bottom line: I was excited and a bit jelous as nonoise wrote a check for his new pair.  Worth to check out now before the price increase, but even afterwards too.  My guess is that it will sound great with the Sig 30.2's black background.

tailspinrex

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2009, 04:09 am »
Have any of you with the Tonian Labs TL-D1 had the chance to compare it to the Zu Audio Druid Mk4 that I have? We have adopted a little girl, now two years old, and the Druids are a little top heavy and may be easy to topple over.

R Browne

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2009, 02:24 pm »
Have any of you with the Tonian Labs TL-D1 had the chance to compare it to the Zu Audio Druid Mk4 that I have? We have adopted a little girl, now two years old, and the Druids are a little top heavy and may be easy to topple over.

The Tonian Labs TL-D1 cabinets are relatively light weight for the size and could be subject to knocking over by a determined child. I'd also be concerned by the Fostex driver and its exposed whizzer cone being within reach of a curious two year old. Perhaps you could find a way to secure your Zu speakers to the floor.

pardales

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2009, 03:23 pm »
Interesting...  It seems as if nonoise replaced his Horn Shoppe Horns with Tonian Labs TL-D1 and pardales replaced his Tonian Labs TL-D1 ) with Horn Shoppe Horns.

:lol::lol: Indeed, synergy is everything.... :D

almonduck

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2009, 11:37 pm »
A friend with a large pair of ACI speakers used blue tape on his hardwood floor to create a boarder around his speakers and to remind his young son to stay behind the line.  As a toddler, the little guy would "walk the line" in defiance, but he rarely crossed over.   

RioTubes

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2009, 05:54 pm »
I wouldn't be concerned about the TL-D1s top heaviness because of the footprint being relatively deep. But my 1 year old twins have their eyes on those whizzers !!!

Rio

nonoise

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:12 am »
Well, here is what I have to say about the Tonian Labs TL-D1 now that I've had them for a week and a half:
My goodness.
Oh my.
I'm done searching. Just as everyone has their own opinion but no one can have their own facts, every speaker can have its own sound but can it have its own truth? I believe these do. To call them 'speakers' would do them an injustice. They are more like finely crafted instruments that convey what the designer feels is a musical truth (in spades mind you). I refuse to be analytical about them as it would be silly to try such a thing. They simply compel one to listen and enjoy. I couldn't ask for more. And to think that they require about 100 hours to break in and I'm enchanted from the start. 
To say that Tony Minasian is a genius would be an understatement. His speakers 'give' a little, just like a oud or cello would, which gives tone, body and a huge dose of reality that lets one suspend belief that what you are listening to is a recording.
I haven't had the pleasure (is it?) of owning lots of speakers but what I've had, and what I've heard at shows sound like speakers. They are not what I wanted. Again, these are like instruments that play their hearts out in front of you. After listening, you'd swear you are hearing the truth.
Thank you, Tony, for creating such an instrument.

keepingtime

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2009, 09:36 pm »
nonoise, it certainly sounds as though these are special speakers. May I ask you what types of music you listen to, or if you can name any specific titles that have been especially magical through them? Are there any types of music that you could picture would not sound as good through these speakers, or for which they'd not be well suited?

Thanks