Another Dyna FM-3 rebuild

rlee8394

Another Dyna FM-3 rebuild
« on: 2 Jul 2009, 02:32 am »
I thought I would share my progress on rebuilding my Dyna FM-3. I used the new motherboard supplied by Chauncey Epperson at FM3 Zone. You can find him here:
http://home.comcast.net/~netminer/FM3ZONE.html

Here is the chassis, stripped and cleaned.

New motherboard placed on chassis.

Begin to stuff motherboard.

More parts stuffing.

Stuffed board less tubes and transformers.

Including the tubes and transformers.

Close-up of RF section.

Close-up of multiplex section.

With new faceplate from Front Panel Express. I tried the blue in-fill for the engraving to match the blue from the FM-3 dial and indicator tube. It rests upon my Audio by Van Alstine Super PAS 3 with custom faceplate from Front Panel Express, no in-fill coloring for the engraving here.

Finally in the system with Audio by Van Alstine Super PAS 3 and Ultimate 70.

All in all this was quite a fun project. Chauncey includes a nice BOM for all parts from Mouser. I can recommend this product to rebuild any FM-3 out there, as well as the excellent work that Bill Thomas is currently doing reproducing new individual boards for the FM-3. Kudos to both of these two gentlemen for keeping the FM-3 alive!!

Ron

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Another Dyna FM-3 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2009, 03:09 am »
Very nice, Ron!

Beautiful work. :thumb:    How does it sound?

Have fun,
Jerry

rlee8394

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2009, 03:29 am »
Jerry,

It sounds great. I will take to a local audio clinic so they can set the IF transformers to exactly 10.7 MHz. May as well get it as close to perfect as I can.

Ron

Bill Thomas

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2009, 05:20 pm »
That is simply OUTSTANDING work, Ron!  The "single board solution" sure cuts down on the wiring clutter!  The front panel is a beautiful touch too!  All I can say is

WOW!

MOST Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

Pathologymd

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2009, 08:34 pm »
Hi Ron,

Really fine work!  I just received my motherboard and have ordered parts.  After completing your project, any caveats or suggestions for me before I begin?

Thanks,

William