I wish more athletes were like Mariano Rivera...

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I wish more athletes were like Mariano Rivera...
« on: 1 Jul 2009, 12:32 am »
Not because he is the best closer in the history or baseball...

Not because he now has 500 career saves...

Not because he has the most saves ever in the post season (34)...

Not because his lifetime era in the post season is 0.77...

Not because since April 21, 2007, he has converted 87 of 91 save opportunities, the best rate in the majors...

I wish more athletes were like Mariano due to his humble and unassuming nature.  He acts this way while displaying a consistent level of excellence that is unmatched in the 100+ years of baseball.

For the past 14 seasons, Mariano simply saves games (rarely failing).  He doesn't yell or scream.  He doesn't flaunt or brag about his success.  He doesn't make claims about his greatness or brag in any way.  When he does fail, he takes responsibility for it and doesn't point the blame elsewhere.

I can't think of a better example in baseball (and maybe all of sports) of sportsmanship, class, and dignity.  While I don't generally consider athletes role models, I would be quite happy to have my two boys grow up and exhibit the qualities Mariano has displayed over the last 14 years.

Thank you Mariano.

George

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: I wish more athletes were like Mariano Rivera...
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2009, 12:45 am »
Not being a baseball fan, I had never heard of this guy.  It's nice to know that they aren't all steroid junkies.

whubbard

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2009, 12:53 am »
Mariano got his 500th against my Mets.
Sad series for us (we have plenty of good excuses) but a great moment for him.

-West

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:26 am »
I can't think of a better example in baseball (and maybe all of sports) of sportsmanship, class, and dignity.  While I don't generally consider athletes role models, I would be quite happy to have my two boys grow up and exhibit the qualities Mariano has displayed over the last 14 years.

Thank you Mariano.

George

Agreed completely. Not a bad role model at all.

I felt the same about Mike Piazza. Mike is arguably the greatest catcher of all time, and certainly the greatest hitting catcher ever. The whole time he was here in LA he was gracious, professional, accessible, and won games. My then young son and I were at the Park a lot in those days. He learned how to field pretending he was catching a Mike Piazza hit. He once was on a live remote for the local ABC Eyewitness News prior to the game. He was fully decked-out in Mike gear. The next day Mike was traded.

Then Mike played the same roll with the Met's.

Class Acts are just that. Mariano is certainly one, and I'm sure a blueprint exists showing his spot in Cooperstown.

Have fun,
Jerry