What would you compare to a 3.0?

MarkgM

What would you compare to a 3.0?
« on: 29 Jun 2009, 12:40 pm »
Hi,
I am in the process of combining a new pair of speakers with my dad's subwoofer, in his place, God bless the octogenarian, and I think my spell checker finally has that right.

The budget for this is around $300, and I bought a pair of Aperion 4B's, and they're set up now.  They are flat, and very resolute, but at 84 dB to start with, they also don't seem to have much range, and while they provide really great "house sound", it has occurred to me that dad just won't be happy without dynamics.  Meanwhile, I'm just trying to up the quality of the dialog, so he makes out more words than he used to.  The 4B's give a great deal of energy to dialog, and good focus.

Honestly, at half volume on his Yamaha HT unit, they're at their ends.  I would say this - they play at such a consistent output, it could turn out to be quite handy in some circumstances.  Really, very flat and resolute little fellahs.

So, what would you say about the Norh 3.0s?  I know, from reading here that folks will say the 3.0 is the least dynamic of the Norh line, but if dynamics were what you were looking for at this price, what would you do?

Cheers, and thanks -
Mark

MarkgM

Re: What would you compare to a 3.0?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2009, 03:30 pm »
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-4B-Satellite-Speaker,113,20,261.aspx

I should correct that reference to "half volume".  That's not a realistic figure with music.  I'm playing Bob Marley right now, and at 1/4 volume, its nice, and at 1/3 volume, its loud, and its within its range, and at 1/2 volume it isn't. 

At 1/3 volume, they work the way that they do.  They provide a consistent output, and that's as loud as anybody here would want.  Just looking for some oomph when it happens.

The other equipment: Yamaha YST-SW100 sub, and Yamaha RX-V670 amp.  1500 cubic ft room.

MarkgM

Reasearch has produced....
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2009, 05:33 pm »
Here's a link to a 3" TB driver in action, in a nice homemade cabinet.  Wait until about 40 seconds in... Does that remind you of the 3.0s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_CVc0yB718

:D