USA just beat Spain 2- 0. Biggest football upset ever?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Spain, ranked #1, has not lost in 35 matches.  US got blown away by Brazil and Italy like they did not belong on the same stage.  Then some how they beat Egypt by 3 goals to advance thanks to Italy losing to Brazil by the same score. 

Now this.

Most amazing.  Tim Howard and Landon Donovan were huge!  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Bemopti123

Re: USA just beat Spain 2- 0. Biggest football upset ever?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2009, 09:33 pm »
Futbol is such as ranking sometimes mean squat.  "La f?ria espa?ola" or "Spanish Fury" as the national team is known can be ranked#1 and usually performs against highly ranked teams but sometimes or very often it is beaten down by teams that are un ranked or weak.  Perhaps I would call the team the "Spanish curse" because of this. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:34 pm »
Spain clearly was technically superior.  So they can take solace in the fact that they are a better team, but that's why we play the game.  Isn't it?  Better teams don't always win.  Winner is a winner is a winner.  :D It will give us some confidence going into the World Cup.  Go USA!  I hope we don't get embarrassed in the final, probably against Brazil.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:58 pm »
It is just unfortunate that futbol is not well practiced or well followed in the US.  I once went to a US Soccer league game and the biggest fans were Hispanic and or other Immigrant fans.  It was ridiculous how the stadium managers and also the MCs of the game had to use their billboards to tell people to "Get UP" and "Cheer" and even write "GOOOOOOOOAAALLL."  Meanwhile there was a Brazilian cheering squad with all the drums and other instruments as if you were in a "Carnaval." I hope the futbol catches some popularity sooner rather than later.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2009, 12:36 am »
I am very happy to see the US looking better, and what a way to get some attention.

I hope that somehow the media and fans will begin to push soccer more consistently this time around.

I have seen a lot more soccer lately on my friends satellite tv.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2009, 12:41 am »
REBROADCAST - 11PM on ESPN2

Dave G

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2009, 12:43 am »
Quote from: woodsyi
Tim Howard and Landon Donovan were huge!

Yes, Howard stopped everything and Donovan played as well as I've ever seen him play.  But the back four (Spector, Demerit, Gooch, and Bocanegra) was (were?) also outstanding.  Time and time, it looked like Spain was finally going to score, but one of these guys got in the way.

I recorded the game and watched it after I got home from work.  When Dempsey scored the insurance goal, I screamed so loud I scared my whole family, including the dog.  Heck, I probably scared the whole neighborhood!

I think we'll do OK in the final, but it will hurt not having Michael Bradley (yet another harsh red card).  If it's Brazil, we couldn't play worse than the group stage game against them, right?  Right?

Go USA!

Dave

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2009, 02:32 am »
So the US will play Brazil on Sunday for the championship. Who would have expected this a few weeks ago?

Actually South Africa played very well as was indicated by the 1-0 loss in the last minutes ( I was able to watch the first 60 minutes). I think the US can play the same way they did against Spain and South Africa played against Brazil. With a little luck they could pull off an upset!

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2009, 12:54 pm »
If it was a World Cup qualifier then yes biggest upset.  This no not even close.  was the whole Spanish team there?