New Squeezebox Touch

Philistine

New Squeezebox Touch
« on: 20 Jun 2009, 03:12 pm »
I see details of the new SqueezeBox Touch have leaked out:

http://www.btsc.lv/apraksts/logitech-squeezebox-touch-2

More mainstream and a nice 4.3" touch screen, looks great.

ratso

Re: New Squeezebox Touch
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:25 pm »
it does look nice, not sure of the convenience of a device you have to walk across the room and 'touch' to use though. i know, use the remote but then why have a 'touch' feature in the first place?

TomW16

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:04 pm »
It seems to me to be a natural progression from the original squeezebox with the fluorescent screen to the Duet with the cool controller remote and now the better display on the Touch so that everyone can see details of the music being played.  I believe that the remote is the most important form factor though.

Cheers,
Tom

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2009, 06:43 pm »
Looks like 24bit/96khz support too...

rydenfan

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2009, 08:30 pm »
Looks very cool!! 24/96 is a great feature to add.

On the flip side though, with Sean leaving and everything now in the control of Logitech, I do expect to see more products like this in comparison to say a Transporter 2.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2009, 09:18 pm »
Wow!  If it truly offers 24/96 playback (that I can stream to my Benchmark DAC), at a price point under $500, my prayers have been answered!  Can't wait to hear the official specs.

Rashiki

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2009, 06:13 am »

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:02 pm »
Looks interesting, sort of like one of those home automation screens.

I assume that it still comes with the controller style remote, and that the touch screen functionality is additional, rather than replacing the touch screen remote?

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:53 pm »

Here is a small picture of it.

Lots of speculation about it's capabilities.

No word on release date,yet.

With 24/96 playback, it should generate a lot of interest.

I'll try to get one, once the release becomes official.

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2009, 03:24 pm »
I assume that it still comes with the controller style remote, and that the touch screen functionality is additional, rather than replacing the touch screen remote?

I wouldn't assume it comes with one, but it's likely a controller would be able to control it.  Since they already sell the controller separately, there's no reason to package it with something that has its own interface.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:25 pm »
I see.

Not so useful then, for a guy like me, who uses the SB3 as the preamp, and the source/DAC etc.  No way I am giving up my remote, regardless how cool the UI over there on the system is!

Looking forward to what folks who end up with them say, and what Wayne's magic wand might produce too!

Philistine

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:33 pm »
I have a couple of Boom's in the house, in addition to a TP, Duet and Controller.  I've found the Boom's to be the most robust and trouble free devices out of the Slim Devices stable, on this basis the Touch has the potential to be a great addition to the product range.

Hopefully the firmware upgrades coming out with 7.4 will fix connection and network stability issues with the Duet and Controller.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2009, 07:50 pm »
I'm quite certain the Touch would be fully compatible with any of the Squeezebox remotes, if the touchscreen controller portion is fixed.  I'd still buy it for it's native handling of 24/96 tracks, plus the album art display.  I'm just waiting (with baited breath) to read the specs, praying that Logitech hasn't skimped on the components (from an audiophile perspective).

I see.

Not so useful then, for a guy like me, who uses the SB3 as the preamp, and the source/DAC etc.  No way I am giving up my remote, regardless how cool the UI over there on the system is!

Looking forward to what folks who end up with them say, and what Wayne's magic wand might produce too!