Grandeur

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Grandeur
« Reply #40 on: 29 Aug 2009, 03:02 pm »
Even though Rick has never offered upgrade kits (at least not that I know of), a RAAL and new x-over would seem to have a ready market from SSR and Galena owners.  I'm guessing it would have to sell in the neighborhood of, say $800? So it would have to be a big improvement.

Upgrades are always possible but often not practical. With the Galena and SSR you would need to alter the tweeter cutout and modify the crossover.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
Re: Grandeur Update
« Reply #41 on: 23 Sep 2009, 06:24 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to keep the Grandeur thread towards the top, so I thought I would post a photo of how I have them set up in our living room.  :D

After a couple weeks of listening now, I am still impressed at the sound. Smooth and detailed. Last night I listened to Jethro Tull's Aqualung playing though the Squeezebox. If you know the record, you know it isn't the greatest of recordings, but sill the sound of the acoustic guitar was so natural, you could hear the pick on the strings and the breath of air surrounding the flute made it sound just real.

I think these speakers really are remarkable on the price to performance ratio. I'd love to hear them on the same system as other highly regarded 2 ways (Anybody have a pair of Magico Mini's?) to see how they stack up.

OK, gushing over, now back to our regularly scheduled forum.

Oh, in case anyone is interested, the stands are from Core Audio Designs, they are their BC-1 Center channel stands turned sideways.

Chuck

sunandmoon

« Reply #42 on: 1 Feb 2010, 03:22 pm »
Rick - is there anything to be gained by using the larger 140 RAAL (like you used in the Mejor) over the 70-20 RAAL? 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #43 on: 1 Feb 2010, 04:08 pm »
Rick - is there anything to be gained by using the larger 140 RAAL (like you used in the Mejor) over the 70-20 RAAL?

The Mejor is a DSP design using the DEQX so we had more flexibility than possible with a passive crossover. The longer ribbon presents more of a challenge with a passive design because the center-to-center spacing is increased. The 140-15D does have wider dispersion in the top octave but the 70-20 is the equivalent of a 3/4" dome in width so it already outperforms all of the 1" domes.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #44 on: 1 Feb 2010, 05:43 pm »
The Mejor is a DSP design using the DEQX so we had more flexibility than possible with a passive crossover. The longer ribbon presents more of a challenge with a passive design because the center-to-center spacing is increased. The 140-15D does have wider dispersion in the top octave but the 70-20 is the equivalent of a 3/4" dome in width so it already outperforms all of the 1" domes.

Does center to center spacing really apply that strictly with ribbons/planars? Isn't the whole surface radiating sound, so measuring to the edge is all that's necessary? I'd love to see/hear a definitive answer on that....

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #45 on: 1 Feb 2010, 07:32 pm »
Does center to center spacing really apply that strictly with ribbons/planars? Isn't the whole surface radiating sound, so measuring to the edge is all that's necessary? I'd love to see/hear a definitive answer on that....

The 140-15 is different from ribbons of similar length because of the foam pads. The foam helps shape the response and works very well to control the vertical dispersion. The physics of the spacing still apply whether it's a point source (dome) or ribbon (approaching a point source in this case). You can alter the crossover point as needed for the spacing you have to meet your goals for the vertical coverage. In my case I like to avoid a narrow vertical window which is why I use the 70-20XR with the Grandeur.

hertz

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jul 2010, 08:40 am »
A silly question.
Do the speakers come with grilles? Not that I like grilles when I am listening. But for protection when you have playfull kids around  :D

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #47 on: 21 Jul 2010, 12:53 pm »
My wife wouldn't have let them in the door if they didn't have covers.  :lol:

They are magnetically attached, the magnets cling to the 4 bolts you see in the corners, and mine stay on pretty much all the time.

Chuck