video from miniDV camcoder to a Mac

Art_Chicago

video from miniDV camcoder to a Mac
« on: 17 Jun 2009, 02:44 pm »
I know it is not an "audio circle" question, but do I need to download anything to ripp DVD (for playback on DVD players) on MacBookPro? Also, to connect miniDV camcoder, is a Belkin F3N401-06-ICE IEEE 1394 4-Pin/6-Pin 400 Mbps FireWire Cable (6 Feet) going to work?  is it all I need?
It is an urgent matter as my 3-year old  DVD recorder stopped recording last night, and I need to produce DVD tonight! Thanks much!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: video from miniDV camcoder to a Mac
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2009, 02:58 pm »
that cable should work if it worked for your DVD recorder

I think the MacBookPro has the necessary basic software, but a trip to a Chicago area Apple store may be your best bet

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2009, 03:17 pm »
What painting is your avatar from?

Art_Chicago

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2009, 03:22 pm »
thank you. I do not own the cable yet, so cannot tell.
the avatar is a portrait of the french baroque composer Marais, I do not know who the author is  :oops: Got it from wikipedia

bunnyma357

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2009, 03:31 pm »
I think your Macbook probably came with the iLife package which gives you iMovie and iDVD which are basic video editing and dvd authoring applications.

If you don't have it the package is $79, and also includes Garage Band, which is a nice little audio program.

Jim C

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:13 am »
Hey, the 6-pin Firewire (400) is no good, the newer MacBooks take 9-pin Firewire 800 only . Hope it is useful for somebody.