Tube pre-amps

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Tube pre-amps
« Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 2009, 05:10 pm »
Hey Tony,
The rest of the products will appear on the website next week! 
Seth

Cheerwino

« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2009, 07:36 pm »
Here's what was posted earlier on the new stuff:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71115.0

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2009, 04:51 am »
Here's what was posted earlier on the new stuff:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71115.0

ah, thanks for that link... VERY helpful to me.

panomaniac

« Reply #23 on: 28 Sep 2009, 04:18 am »
Right!  The ICEBlock is shown here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71115.msg674621#msg674621

As shown with the light color wood top.  There are other colors, most of them darker.
It's a real brute of an amp.

ojof00l

« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2009, 07:05 am »
in a few days, i'll get back my diy 12sn7 preamp to drive my babies. for now, they're hooked up to my avr- yamaha rxv596 preouts. i also put some RAM heatsinks atop the V1s (tho its unnecessary coz they hardly get warm)

PSB Guy

« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:08 pm »
Not a pre-amp, just a tube buffer. Anyone tried one? The price seems right.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/catalog/52/tube_processors

maxwalrath

« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:14 pm »

Never tried that one, but used a Musical Fidelity x-10d in the past.  Found the sound to be improved in most cases until the total retail value of the system increased to a few thousand $$.  Basically, if your cdp and amp don't cost too much, this thing might improve the sound, IMO. 

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:09 pm »
I just "unhid" the ICEBlock...  It's quite similar internally to others you will find using the ASP-500 module from B&O.  Candidly, the ASP-500 is a fine part and there's not a whole lot of magic to putting it in a box.  Of course, ours looks MORE AWESOME on account of the fully customizable Melissa enclosure.

doorman

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:53 pm »
I had (briefly) a MF x10-d. A number of us listened with it in and out of the system, and could detect no difference. YMMV, of course.
Don

panomaniac

« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:53 pm »
I have not used the Grant line stage, but I do know Mr. Grant and his lovely wife.  They make very nice gear at great prices.   :thumb:

Have listened to the MF X-10 thingy years ago and found no difference.  May be system dependent.

PSB Guy

« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:28 pm »

Never tried that one, but used a Musical Fidelity x-10d in the past.  Found the sound to be improved in most cases until the total retail value of the system increased to a few thousand $$.  Basically, if your cdp and amp don't cost too much, this thing might improve the sound, IMO. 
Gonna try one, nothing to lose. Always been fascinated by tubes, never tried 'em, this is a cheap way to experiment. My "cd player" is my computer (uncompressed AIFFs ripped from cd), and my amp is a Virtue One, so I don't know what effect, if any, it will have. I love my system, have absolutely no complaints with it, especially my One. Just curious...I'll report back when I've had a chance to play...
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2009, 07:39 pm by PSB Guy »

rbello

« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:48 pm »
in a few days, i'll get back my diy 12sn7 preamp to drive my babies. for now, they're hooked up to my avr- yamaha rxv596 preouts. i also put some RAM heatsinks atop the V1s (tho its unnecessary coz they hardly get warm)

Love those "crystals" in the middle. Surely they add to the energy created by these wonderful amps and the music. :thumb:

Seriously though, I too have tried using my 6SN7 based pre-amp with the Virtues and find that while they do bring in a bit more depth, I seem to prefer the Virtues more as stand-alones for their uncanny ability to make one forget about the technical stuff and simply just focus on enjoying the music. But it's just me... aa

ojof00l

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:17 am »

Love those "crystals" in the middle. Surely they add to the energy created by these wonderful amps and the music. :thumb:

Seriously though, I too have tried using my 6SN7 based pre-amp with the Virtues and find that while they do bring in a bit more depth, I seem to prefer the Virtues more as stand-alones for their uncanny ability to make one forget about the technical stuff and simply just focus on enjoying the music. But it's just me... aa

you're right. pure and simple unadulterated Virtue juice oozing & spewing sweet music.

the long and winding road to my never-ending quest for audio nirvana............... :roll: :roll: :roll:

this is it!!!  :D :D :D

(you've got the best avatar bro. !)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2009, 04:33 am »

They are interesting pieces of equipment.  I found that they add warmth to the bass and mid presentation and seemed to take a bit of detail from the highs.  Like Maxwalrath suggested, I bet it is a very good addition to non tube systems up to a certain $ level.  I really couldn't tell you where that level is.  The unit I tried is connecting a low end cd player and a 1980'ish receiver used in a high school physics class.  In that setting it is very effective.

PSB Guy

« Reply #34 on: 21 Oct 2009, 05:20 pm »

Got the tube buffer, Ive been playing with it for a while. The soundstage seems to have opened up quite a bit, and now the mid and lower bass notes seem to give me a nice "thump" in the chest. It's a neat effect, what ever some may think of tube buffers (I've heard some people refer to them as distortion generators, effects boxes, etc.). I have some JAN 5654W NOS tubes on order, they're supposed to be better than the stock 6J1s that came with the unit. The tubes are only $4.95 a piece! Highly recommended to anyone wanting to play around with tubes for little cost ($200 Canadian). Back to the music...
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 11:02 pm by PSB Guy »

stevekr

« Reply #35 on: 9 Nov 2009, 01:21 pm »
      Hi guys, just wanted to share my thoughts on the tube buffer. I did a bit of research on the net and found a device called Yaquin tube buffer, turns out that Grant is using this model (B 283) and updating it from stock to a high level especially for you lucky guys in the good ol' US of A.

Anyway the buffer turned up this morning (I bought the stock version directly from HK). I'm using a NVA P50 passive pre-amp with holco stepped attenuator feeding my Virtue One which I've by-passed the volume pot with the jumpers inside the amp, and am using the 30v supply. The tube buffer cost me ?70 GBP delivered so I wasn't expecting much.

I'm sat here now listening to 'A Meeting by the River' and I think I've just wet my pants! This is the best upgrade I've ever made to my system, barring the Virtue One of course. If you're using a passive pre-amp this is a no brainer, get one! If you live in the states get the Grant 283 as it's modded for 110v. I'm off now, audio paradise has arrived at last!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #36 on: 9 Nov 2009, 03:54 pm »
Great post Steve!  Thanks for the tip.

PSB Guy

« Reply #37 on: 9 Nov 2009, 06:27 pm »
Yeah, I have to agree that the B-283 is a great product, especially in my set up. I've been collecting CDs since early 1984, so a lot of the ones I have ripped to my computer are from the days before anyone knew how to properly master for digital playback. Harsh is the only way to describe the sound. Getting the Virtue One helped a lot, as it has a very "tubey" personality. Putting the B-283 in the chain was just the icing on the cake, it removes the last bit of edginess, without leaving out any of the music. Highly recommended and like I said before, you can't beat the price...

PSB Guy

« Reply #38 on: 9 Nov 2009, 06:32 pm »
BTW Steve, try replacing the stock tubes with something better. I replaced mine with some JAN 5654W's and the difference is not subtle on my system...

stevekr

« Reply #39 on: 9 Nov 2009, 06:53 pm »
       Thanks for the tip PSB guy, I'll look into those valves you mentioned. It'll be good to get back into tube rolling again. Hi Seth hope you and yours are well. I forgot to mention in my post that I'm using the buffer between my pre and the Virtue, in case that wasn't clear.

Just a quick update, as the day has wore on the buffer has really started to do it's mojo with my music. I haven't blasted it yet as I thought I'd let it bed-in gently for a few days but what I'm hearing already is some serious improvement in soundstage and musicality, like going from 2D to 3D. I think there's some real magic going on with the Virtue like they were made for each other. It has brought a big smile to my face and I've been scrabbling through my cd's all afternoon playing one after the other. I'm so glad I'm off this week and as we've had our first frost here in Bonny Scotland it's nice to see those glowing valves on a cold winters night. Now where's that 'Raising Sand' cd got to....