ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!

cwt108

Re: ModWright Modified Oppo BDP-83!
« Reply #120 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:41 am »
That being said, I am an owner of Dan's Sony 9100ES Modification and very happy with it.

Anyone has compared 9100ES and Oppo modified yet? I will be interested in your opinion. I am thinking to have an all-one solution in my main living system (Oppo modified?) and potentailly move my 9100ES to the bedroom as the second unit.

Any feedback (especially from Dan) will be great.

frkuhn

« Reply #121 on: 23 Nov 2009, 01:57 pm »
Unfortunately, I've never heard a Modwright modded machine. But I'm very curious about what they can achieve in terms of sound improvement.

My question, put simply, is: is it worth it?

The final price of the BDP-83 + mod is +- U$ 1800,00, and the BDP-83 SE + mod +- U$ 2200,00.

Is the result of the mod better than a Denon 4010, as a example, or other Blu-Ray player costing around U$ 2000,00?

Please don't think I'm trying to say Dan's mods are not worthwhile, I'm just genuinely curious about how a modded player compares to a stock one of higher value.

ncblue

« Reply #122 on: 23 Nov 2009, 07:10 pm »
It is my experience that you must get into the $5,000+ range to get anywhere near the quality of Dan's mods (of which I've owned 3). Nothing that Sony or Denon makes will come close (unless you are only using hdmi).
Just my own personal experience. As always, use you own ears and decide for yourself.
Nat

roconnor

« Reply #123 on: 24 Nov 2009, 09:09 pm »
I was wondering about the BDP-83's support for FLAC files via USB and Ethernet. I received these answers from Oppo's customer support:

1. Does the USB interface support FLAC (16 bit and 24bit) playback from HD?
Unfortunately FLAC, APE, and other lossless audio formats are not supported. They are being investigated as possible firmware integrations, but we have no announcements at this time.

2. Do you have any plans to support playback of media (FLAC in particular) from a NAS via the ethernet connection?
UDnP and DLNA support is being investigated as a firmware upgrade.

I certainly hope the investigation ends up as a firmware upgrade. It would make a Modwright modified unit a great single front end for me!

Rodric.

maikeldepotter

« Reply #124 on: 25 Nov 2009, 09:28 am »
It is my experience that you must get into the $5,000+ range to get anywhere near the quality of Dan's mods (of which I've owned 3). Nothing that Sony or Denon makes will come close (unless you are only using hdmi).
Just my own personal experience. As always, use you own ears and decide for yourself.
Nat

I will soon report my personal experience in comparing the SQ of a Modwright Oppo BDP-83 with a Denon DVD-5910CI (in Europe called DVD-A1xva) for CD, SACD, DVD-A and DVD. As I don't expect the differences to be huge, I probably have some carefull listening to do before I draw any conclusions. Please feel free to make some predictions...  :wink:

frkuhn

« Reply #125 on: 25 Nov 2009, 10:30 am »
I will soon report my personal experience in comparing the SQ of a Modwright Oppo BDP-83 with a Denon DVD-5910CI (in Europe called DVD-A1xva) for CD, SACD, DVD-A and DVD. As I don't expect the differences to be huge, I probably have some carefull listening to do before I draw any conclusions. Please feel free to make some predictions...  :wink:

VERY curious about your test!!! I own a Denon DVD-5900 and I'm considering replacing it with a Dan modded BDP-83. aa

Please report your impressions here! :thumb:

maikeldepotter

« Reply #126 on: 25 Nov 2009, 01:14 pm »
VERY curious about your test!!! I own a Denon DVD-5900 and I'm considering replacing it with a Dan modded BDP-83.

Please report your impressions here! :thumb:

Mmm.. still have an 5900 (A11) as well, stocked away waiting to be put on sale. Maybe I will include it in the comparison. Will cost more... time that is.

talk2me

« Reply #127 on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:03 pm »
The 5910 are now selling new for $800. Maybe comapre a modded 5910 vs. modded 83? aa

dkuster

« Reply #128 on: 7 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm »

I have one of the new "SE" versions of the BDP-83, and I'm interested in having the modwright mods done.

Are the same mod levels available for the SE as the stock unit?  Is the pricing the same?

In the SE version the Sabre DACs run off their own internal clock source, not the master clock.  Does this mean that the the Burson clock upgrade can be skipped, or does it still result in an audible improvement in the SE?

My goal is to not only enhance 2ch performance but also multichannel.  This is why I'm looking at modwright instead of nuforce. 

Thanks.

modwright

« Reply #129 on: 8 Dec 2009, 01:54 am »
I will post feedback from our customers here once I compile some more.  It is very busy around here.

The SE mods are the same price - for now - as for the non-SE and the same options are available.  For now we are still installing the Burson clock as the clock for the DAC is still derived from this clock.  The DAC also has a small crystal (clock) RIGHT near the DAC chip (2CH DAC).

The SE sounds exceptional, as does the non-SE and I would GLADLY compare our modified SE - even 2CH only - to the Nuforce mod.  What we are doing is simply different. No disrespect to Nuforce or what they are doing.  We are not just replacing components.  We are REDESIGNING the analog stage and the different is HUGE.

Thanks,

Dan W.

dkuster

« Reply #130 on: 8 Dec 2009, 02:29 am »

Thanks for the quick reply, Dan.

It's your redesigned analog stages for both the stereo and multichannel outputs that are of the most interest to me. 

Do you consider your 83SE mods "mature" at this point?  I would hate to spend the money and go through the separation anxiety now, only to find that in 6 months you've discovered how to take the 83SE to the next level.

Are you able to upgrade the SE now, or are you still in development?  Do you think your work schedule will ease up in January or February?

Thanks!

dkuster

« Reply #131 on: 8 Dec 2009, 02:39 pm »

Another question for Dan:  Do you offer (or would you ever consider offering) a version of your 83SE mod package as a DIY kit?  That would be a great option for those of us with electronics/prototyping/DIY skills!

We could save some money on shipping and labor, and we wouldn't have to deal with the turn-around time.

Of course, the customer would have to take responsibility should anything go wrong during installation.

(My current reference player for CD/2CH-SACD is a Sony 777ES that I modded with several kits that Richard Kern used to provide.  It was a lot of fun modding that player!)

Thanks.

modwright

« Reply #132 on: 8 Dec 2009, 07:12 pm »
The SE mods are mature, as they are really the same mods as we offer for the non-SE unit, but are simply adapted to the new DAC board.  We do make a few changes and upgrades to the DAC board also, to accomodate our mod board.

I am afraid that we simply don't offer any of our mods as kits.  We have done this a couple of times with distributors and it just proves to be too difficult as there are too many questions and the implementation is not that simple.

We are booking into the third week of January right now for new mods.

Thanks,

Dan

dkuster

« Reply #133 on: 9 Dec 2009, 02:00 pm »

Thanks, Dan.  So I should just call to schedule once I'm ready?

One more thing:  Can you clarify the warranty situation for me?  Upgrading my 83 to the 83SE has "reset the clock" on the Oppo warranty, so it's essentially as if I just purchased a new unit.

I'm sure you offer some kind of warranty on your modifications, but what happens if, say, the transport mechanism fails?  That would have nothing to do with the work you did, so you wouldn't cover it, and Oppo would no doubt say the unit has been altered so the warranty is voided.

It seems like I'd be out of luck(?)

Thanks.

modwright

« Reply #134 on: 10 Dec 2009, 05:30 pm »
Our warranty is one year parts and labor that covers our work.

If the drive fails or there is another issue that would otherwise be covered by Oppo, we agree to repair the unit for parts cost, provided the repair is within our means.  Replacing a drive is not difficult and we have always been able to source replacement parts for units that we have modified in the past.  Bottom line is that we take care of our customers and I believe that our reputation speaks for itself here.

If you want to schedule a mod, please feel free to call or email.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Chris_B

« Reply #135 on: 12 Dec 2009, 02:16 pm »
I will post feedback from our customers here once I compile some more.  It is very busy around here.

The SE mods are the same price - for now - as for the non-SE and the same options are available.  For now we are still installing the Burson clock as the clock for the DAC is still derived from this clock.  The DAC also has a small crystal (clock) RIGHT near the DAC chip (2CH DAC).

The SE sounds exceptional, as does the non-SE and I would GLADLY compare our modified SE - even 2CH only - to the Nuforce mod.  What we are doing is simply different. No disrespect to Nuforce or what they are doing.  We are not just replacing components.  We are REDESIGNING the analog stage and the different is HUGE.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Hi Dan.  How would you compare your modded Oppo to some of your other players like the  999ES with Signature Truth modifications?  I guess we'll have to wait a few months to see how your modd'd Oppo 83SE turns out.

The 83SE is a great player for people looking for very good audio (CD/SACD/DVD-A) plus Bluray audio/video.  In my opinion, this player is a fantastic swiss army knife.  If you can help us get world class audio from it, then it would be about perfect.

thanks,

Chris

modwright

« Reply #136 on: 28 Dec 2009, 06:18 pm »
Comparing the modified Oppo BDP-83 and Oppo BDP-83SE, I would have to say that it is ON PAR with our tube-modified units.  There is a slightly different sonic character as it is SS and not tube, but it is a circuit that is more tube-like than SS in its presentation and the bass response is better defined!

BDP-83SE MODS NOW AVAILABLE.

PLEASE NOTE: All mods offered for the BDP-83SE are the same as for the BDP-83, with the exception that the clock is NOT upgraded for the SE model. The new SABRE DACs offer exceptional jitter reduction and the SE has its own DAC-dedicated clock directly adjacent to the SABRE DAC! Additional parts and labor are required to upgrade the SE unit due to the increased sophistication of the DACs and how our mod interfaces with the SABRE DAC. To keep things simple, we decided to delete the unneccessary DAC from the SE mod and thus keep the price of the mod THE SAME for both BDP-83 and BDP-83SE!

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

dkuster

« Reply #137 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:20 pm »

Hi Dan,

I presume you meant to say:

"... we decided to delete the unneccessary clock upgrade from the SE mod..."

instead of:

"... we decided to delete the unneccessary DAC from the SE mod..."

And the price of the full multichannel mod minus master clock upgrade for the SE is the same as the full multichannel mod plus master clock upgrade for the non-SE?

Comparing the modified Oppo BDP-83 and Oppo BDP-83SE, I would have to say that it is ON PAR with our tube-modified units.  There is a slightly different sonic character as it is SS and not tube, but it is a circuit that is more tube-like than SS in its presentation and the bass response is better defined!

BDP-83SE MODS NOW AVAILABLE.

PLEASE NOTE: All mods offered for the BDP-83SE are the same as for the BDP-83, with the exception that the clock is NOT upgraded for the SE model. The new SABRE DACs offer exceptional jitter reduction and the SE has its own DAC-dedicated clock directly adjacent to the SABRE DAC! Additional parts and labor are required to upgrade the SE unit due to the increased sophistication of the DACs and how our mod interfaces with the SABRE DAC. To keep things simple, we decided to delete the unneccessary DAC from the SE mod and thus keep the price of the mod THE SAME for both BDP-83 and BDP-83SE!

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #138 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:23 pm »
I ping'd him on that as soon as he posted his other thread.  Yes, he fixed it there, but not this thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75692.0

dkuster

« Reply #139 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:28 pm »
I ping'd him on that as soon as he posted his other thread.  Yes, he fixed it there, but not this thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75692.0

Got it.  Thanks for the link!