New subwoofer offerings from RAD...feedback please

Brian Bunge

New subwoofer offerings from RAD...feedback please
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2004, 01:23 am »
Jack,

Those Emeralds are nice.  I've still got a pair that I built from kits approx. 3-4 years ago.  I had the kits sitting around for a few months and as soon as ACI released the Sapphire III LE's I decided that I'd finish my Emeralds the same way.  When I showed Mike Dzurko the picture he told me that they were almost exactly like the Emeralds, which I hadn't even seen yet.  Mike's truly a class act.  In many ways he's responsible for my being in business for myself now.  If I hadn't known about his speakers and kits I probably wouldn't have started building speakers.

Anyway, onto the sub.  We usually stain/dye red oak black but I think that using a semi-gloss black paint might be the best way to go.  It's much quicker than the 2 step stain/dye process and doesn't need to have a top coat applied so it's less labor intensive, and therefore, less costly to the customer.

I'm more than likely going to use a round grill.  I think it will be easier to stretch the grill cloth over the frame and will look better than your typical rectangular/square frame.  I've thought about using magnets.  I've got a bunch in the shop so I could definitely try it out.  Now that I think about it, one of Mike's guys contacted me earlier this year asking me where we were getting our magnets from. :)

If you've got any more questions feel free to PM me or email me.  Also, I'll be in the shop tomorrow from 9:00am until probably 2:00-3:00pm EST tomorrow if you want to speak over the phone.  The shop number is 706-557-8694.