getting hiss with hi-rez files?

Art_Chicago

getting hiss with hi-rez files?
« on: 2 Jun 2009, 03:43 pm »
Here is what I did.
Got MacBookPro yesterday. Set the audio output at 96kHz/24 bit, maximum volume. Using a miniToslinlk to Toslink cable from monoprice, connected the MacBook to the Beresford 96/24 DAC. Downloaded Raising Sand Plant/Krauss/ 96/24 FLAC file from HDtracks. Downloaded Fluke plugin, open the files with Fluke in iTunes; but got weird noise, no music. Downloaded  X lossless Decoder per recommendation on this circle; got WAV files and an OK sound , but noticable hiss at medium volume level. The audio setup is quiet when using a CD from a non Mac transport. Have not tried playing CD or radio through Mac loud yet (it was already 1 am). Would appreciate any suggestions, no matter what. It is my second Mac after a long PC period, so could have done something stupid.
Thanks.

Update: I am running Salk's demo CD right now on the Mac, it sounds great, would not tell the difference between it and a CDP transport. mp3 files do not have hiss, either. Is it a converter --X lossless Decoder?
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2009, 06:58 pm by Art_Chicago »

Crimson

Re: getting hiss with hi-rez files?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2009, 07:55 pm »
You may want to try Max for the conversion and see what happens. Click here to download.

Art_Chicago

Re: getting hiss with hi-rez files?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2009, 08:13 pm »
Thank you! I will try Max.  Just got an email from HDtracks that pointed that there is an added hiss track on Raising Sand! They sent me this link also:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/raising-sand-hiss-purpose-285419/
Man, I was just going to get a hi-fi record, cause i did  not realy care about the music, although I like what I heard so far. The CD version has it as well.
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2009, 02:21 am by Art_Chicago »