First Tubes - Onix SP3 MkII vs. Yaqin MC-100B

mhconley

First Tubes - Onix SP3 MkII vs. Yaqin MC-100B
« on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:28 am »
I am planning to purchase my first tube gear - my goals are simple - under $500 (if at all possible) and good sound for my first dive into tubes.  I've done a lot of reading and have narrowed my choices to two - the Onix Melody SP3 MkII or the Yaqin MC-100B.  Everything I have seen on the two amps seems to indicate they sound way better than their price point would lead would lead one to expect.

Any recommendations between these two?  Any others I should consider?

Thanks,

Martin

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: First Tubes - Onix SP3 MkII vs. Yaqin MC-100B
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2009, 03:06 am »
Any recommendations between these two?  Any others I should consider?
Consider the PrimaLuna/Mystere twin brands, both have integrated amps and pre/power amps set. The PrimaLuna 3 preamp cost only 1600 dollars at http://www.upscaleaudio.com/bPrimaLuna-Hi-fib_c_36.html
Regards,

bunnyma357

Re: First Tubes - Onix SP3 MkII vs. Yaqin MC-100B
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:39 am »
I've got both a Onix SP3 and the slightly Lower End Yaqin MC-10L, I'm really happy with both. Some general observations - the Onix/Melody amp seems to be better built, there is a lot of info on what people prefer for tube rolling and bias levels. However it only has 2 inputs.

Some of the Yaqin materials are more cosmetic than functional, and the chasis isn't as beefy as the Onix. You do get the ability to switch between triode and ultra-linear, and you also get the ability to bypass the pre-amp section and run it as a power amp.

Lately they've had a few SP3's at AV123 for around $399 at that price I would go for it. Otherwise I'd probably go for the Yaqin, but new they usually go for around $699. You could probably get a better deal on the Yaqin used, since they probably don't hold their value as well.

The other factor is how big a deal is having a warranty and service to you - the Onix is way better in that aspect. Although supposedly AV123 is switching from Melody amps to Xindak amps, so support may be more spotty in the future with Onix.

Either way I think it would be hard to make a mistake with either of these.

Jim C