Headphone amp?

Marco Prozzo

Re: Headphone amp?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm »
I would add, clarify, my input on crossfeed: The material it actually benefits in my music library is few and far between.  But those recordings, like the two I mentioned, are not very enjoyable on cans without crossfeed.  For all other material, I'd definitely turn it off as I have no problems with more normal positional cues.  Sgt. Pepper and DSOM sound pretty silly and do give me a headache on headphones....love the same effects via speakers. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #41 on: 28 Jan 2010, 01:57 am »
I pretty much side with everybody else about cross-feed.  Occasionally nice to have, but not essential and perhaps not worth the extra cost.  Judging by some of your recent comments, Dan, it sounds like some sort of Modwright headphone amp might become a reality in the semi-near future.   :thumb: 

I have been thinking that a built in DAC (via mini usb) would make a lot of sense in terms of flexibility.  People could use the amp right out of their computer or plug their iPod into it as a stand alone semi-compact rig.  Or via use of analog inputs use just the amp section for integration with a MW transporter or something.  If it were portable enough, I am sure that I would use it in both capacities.

I am very much looking forward to what you come up with!

Still, my first choice would simply be a headphone out on my 36.5  :wink:

modwright

« Reply #42 on: 28 Jan 2010, 03:16 am »
Hi and thanks for the feedback and support.

I am first going to see how our LS 36.5 sounds directly driving Senn's via balanced signal.  The impedance out of the LS 36.5 is low enough to handle this, but not Grado's without additional circuitry or specific transformer tap.

I will share my results soon!

Agreed, an integral DAC and/or ipod dock is a VERY good idea!

Sincerely,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #43 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:17 am »
Just recently had the wonderful opportunity to attend my first Headphone Meet in Centralia, thanks to the HeadFi guys.

Here is a link to their forum and info about the get together:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/seattle-portland-meet-middle-27-feb-2010-impressions-474990/

I experienced a broad range of headphones and amps.  I heard SS, hybrid and tube designs that were all exceptional!  It gave me a lot to think about.

I have already found that our LS 36.5 CAN directly drive 600 ohms cans.  I had to wire up some female XLR outs in order to use Senn 650's with XLR balanced cables.  It worked well and sounded very good, but not as good as the Wu Audio WA22.

I am seriously considering including either as stock or as option, a headphone output with our new LS 100 preamp due out in early April.

I have a lot of projects going on, but I am continuing to consider headphone amp designs, because once you have heard a truly exceptional headphone setup, it WILL change you!

Thanks,

Dan

funkmonkey

« Reply #44 on: 3 Mar 2010, 09:54 pm »
Very cool, Dan.  Those head-fi meets can be enlightening.  What's the LS 100 all about?  Any more thought to making a dedicated headphone out available as a mod for existing 36.5 owners?  Also very curious to see if you can beat the Wu with a standalone.

Cheers,
Greg

jopagi

« Reply #45 on: 4 Mar 2010, 10:36 pm »
Glad to hear you enjoyed the head-fi meet, Dan.  It was a pleasure talking to you.
There are a lot of good dedicated headphone amps out there as you know, and truly besting the likes of the Woo WA22 or RWA Isabellina HPA is a tall order.  But something on equal footing with them, with a different sound flavor, perhaps different or unusual tubes, either standalone or integrated into an outstanding preamp, with the Modwright mark of quality -- that would be a very compelling beast.   I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with.
Regards,
Jonathan

modwright

« Reply #46 on: 12 Mar 2010, 07:47 am »
Thank you.  The LS 100 is our new $3300 tube linestage that will be the complement to the KWA 100 amp.  I am seriously considering adding a headphone output to this unit.  I am also planning to allow upgrade 'sockets' on the main board for future DAC and/or phono upgrades.

I am still considering a dedicated headphone amp too.  I am also looking at a LOT of design work scheduled for this year, so no promises as to when.

Thanks,

Dan