Which hardwire cable for Transporter to source?

Big Red Machine

Which hardwire cable for Transporter to source?
« on: 31 May 2009, 05:51 pm »
Some of you have hardwired your Transporters to your computers instead of using the wireless.  I'm curious if you have found a "better" cable than just a network cable?

Big Red Machine

Re: Which hardwire cable for Transporter to source?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2009, 07:25 pm »
I did find this:

Cat 5: Out of the three types of cable we?ll be discussing, Category 5 is the most basic. Cat 5 cable is available in two varieties: Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP), the type widely used in the United States, and Screened Twisted Pair (SCTP), which has shielding to provide a measure of extra protection against interference, but is rarely used outside of Europe. Cables belonging to Category 5 are either solid or stranded: Solid Cat 5 is more rigid, and the better choice if data needs to be transmitted over a long distance, while Stranded Cat 5 is very flexible and most likely to be used as patch cable. Cat 5 cable can support 10 or 100 Mbps Ethernet, and has a capability of up to 100MHz.

Cat 5e: Cat 5e (which stands for Category 5, enhanced) cable goes along the same lines as basic Cat 5, except that it fulfills higher standards of data transmission. While Cat 5 is common in existing cabling systems, Category 5e has almost entirely replaced it in new installations. Cat 5e can handle data transfer at 1000 Mbps, is suitable for Gigabit Ethernet, and experiences much lower levels of near-end crosstalk (NEXT) than Cat 5.

Cat 6: Of the three cable categories we?re discussing, Category 6 is the most advanced and provides the best performance. Just like Cat 5 and Cat 5e, Category 6 cable is typically made up of four twisted pairs of copper wire, but its capabilities far exceed those of other cable types because of one particular structural difference: a longitudinal separator. This separator isolates each of the four pairs of twisted wire from the others, which reduces crosstalk, allows for faster data transfer, and gives Category 6 cable twice the bandwidth of Cat 5! Cat 6 cable is ideal for supporting 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and is able to operate at up to 250 MHz. Since technology and standards are constantly evolving, Cat 6 is the wisest choice of cable when taking any possible future updates to your network into consideration. Not only is Category 6 cable future-safe, it is also backward-compatible with any previously-existing Cat 5 and Cat 5e cabling found in older installations.

Whether your cable needs revolve around a telecommunications network or a home theater application, visit CableOrganizer.com for the cables, hand tools, testers and how-to tips that will make your installation the best it can possibly be!

Rasta

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2009, 12:41 am »
My understanding of the reason for 'hardwiring' the Transporter is that the benefit is inherent in the Transporter itself.  Meaning it really has nothing to do with the cable.

As long as your computer and network are fast enough to create an adequate buffer, the cable (or wireless) transmission is not an issue.  If a network packet is not %100 accurate your network will request a re-transmission.  So, data-wise you will always be getting data %100 bit accurate.  If this were not the case, your data files would be a mess.

Unless you are experiencing dropouts, don't worry about it.  What we don't need are audiophile network cables at $10 foot.  :roll:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:24 am »
So all I did was order a shielded cable and spent $6 instead $3 for a 15 footer.  I like the wireless and it worked well with the SB, but wanted to inquire as some folks prefer it hardwired.

NewBuyer

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:34 am »
Shielded ethernet cable can conduct ground loops through the shield - I recommend against using that type unless you absolutely need it (special purpose).  Standard ethernet ports are pulse-transformer isolated, so you won't have ground loops using non-shielded cable.  For hardwiring a Transporter, Cat5 or Cat5e are all you need.

Rasta

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:53 am »
BRM,

I think what is going on, is not the fact that the transporter is network hardwired, rather something in the transporter is responding well to having the wireless transmission turned off.  Maybe, a device is causing noise/hash and/or bad stuff in the unit.

The modders of these devices would be the ones to consult if you want to dig deeper.

I usually buy Cat5e and I like Home Depot for the best deal.

Best!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2009, 06:37 am »
I don't think the actual network cable makes a difference, but rather, it is about disabling the WI-FI receiver in the TP that probably improves things.

George

rahimlee54

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2009, 11:57 am »
Unless you have a gigbit router port there is no point to get Cat6 unless you plan on getting one sometime in the future, but at the price paid it doesnt really matter to much either way.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2009, 03:31 pm »
I wired much of my house with Cat5E.  That is what I use.  Cat6 was hard to find/expensive.  I do have gigabit ethernet switches but I doubt I am pushing the speed limits on my usage.

MerlinWerks

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2009, 05:11 pm »
FWIW, Cat 5 is the minimum spec for gigabit cabling...