Can the 4BSST...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Can the 4BSST...
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2009, 05:34 pm »
Yeah, I bet they will! Ok cool. To be honest, I'm happy with my JBLs, but the Cerwins seem to offer more; particularly in the bass.

We'll see what happens. Eventually, I'll make a decision! lol.

Mag

« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2009, 07:14 pm »
It's hard for me to be fair to Cerwin Vega speakers. When I had then in my starter system, they sure can hit hard when you give 'em the juice. But as soon as I was able to upgrade to a better speaker they came out, without really having compared them to what I assume are better speakers.

As for the sub, my Velodyne CHT-10 clearly and instantly out classed my 10" Cerwin Vega sub as soon as it was powered up. It was a clean sonic boom in comparison without the boominess in my present audio room.

I really should connect my CV LS-8 to my 3B SST just to hear how they really can perform with steroid juice.

vegasdave

« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2009, 09:48 pm »
Right, I hear ya...but this CLS series is supposed to be different. I can't say, since I haven't heard them. The Cerwin-Vega store offers a 30 day money back guarantee. So, that's a plus.

Also, my JBLs do go loud, but they are pretty refined also. It's hard to get both of those qualities in a speaker. The Cerwins might be a little too much for my small-ish living room. I live in an apartment.
So, there's gonna be a lot of thinking and research before I pull the trigger on the Cerwins.

Sure, go ahead. Let us know the results, please. How old are the LS-8's?

gtaphile

« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2009, 10:16 pm »
What model JBL's do you have?

vegasdave

« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2009, 10:46 pm »
Studio L890s

Mag

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2009, 04:26 am »
I swapped the CV LS-8 for my Paradigm Studio 100's. The LS-8 are about 6 yrs old and cost $300.00. First I played them in 2 channel stereo mode. They filled the room quite nicely with sound given the juice from the 3B SST.
Then I played them in MC stereo mode in place of the Studio 100, where they again did an admiral job filling in the gap.

Hooking the Studio's back up it was apparent that the LS-8 are not as transparent and the tweeter smooths the highs over a bit.

The CV bass was not grossly outclassed compared to the Studio 100's, so I decided to leave 'em in my setup. Now I have 12 speakers!

One can't have too many speakers as long as you have amps to power 'em. :rock:

Anyway powered with a good amp the CV LS 8 proved to be a very capable speaker that can rock. I would think the new line is certainly worth a listen if in the market for a good rock speaker in their comparable price range.

vegasdave

« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2009, 09:12 am »
Thanks for your report! Not bad for a $300 speaker, true?