VDA-2/VAC-1 causing wireless interference?

dekaliber

VDA-2/VAC-1 causing wireless interference?
« on: 12 May 2009, 07:51 pm »
After reading very positive reviews, I bought a Channel Islands VDA-2/VAC-1 (external DAC + power supply) combo to try on my SB3.  However, I suspect this addition might be causing some sort of network interference.  Shortly after hooking everything up and plugging in the VAC-1, my SB3 reported trouble connecting to my music server.  I tried to troubleshoot the problem by rebooting my router, restarting Squeezecenter, and rebooting the Squeezebox, but to no avail.  However, I found that unplugging the CI stuff or moving it around on the shelf above the SB3, I was able to get it to work again.

Haven't really had any issues with the SB3 before this so either it's the CI stuff causing interference or just a crazy coincidence...  Just curious if anyone else using this combo has experienced any problems?  Is the VAC-1 power supply known to wreak havoc on wireless signals?

CIAudio

Re: VDA-2/VAC-1 causing wireless interference?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2009, 08:22 pm »
I doubt it's the VDA-2/VAC-1 causing a problem...we have 2 Squeezebox  systems in our showroom (1 Duet, 1 Classic), I have another in my home, and 1000's of customers using the same with great results.

-Dusty-

CSI

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2009, 09:19 pm »
I don't own a Squeezebox so can't address that specific combo but I do use my VDA-2/VAC-1 combo with a Sonos wireless system. At one time or another both the DAC and the VAC-1 have resided directly on top of the Sonos Zone player. No sign of interference in my system. Also had the VAC-1 sitting on top of a Mac Mini for awhile with no issues. I guess I would have to conclude there is no interference issues inherent with the CIA stuff - at least in my experience. Could it be a grounding problem? Does the Squeezebox have an optical output? You might try using a toslink connection for an experiment. That will eliminate any metal to metal electrical connection between the two if that is the problem.

rockit

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2009, 09:58 pm »
I guess since the VDA and power supply are made of steel they can cause wifi interferences. Like anything made of steel.
Depending on many factors it may cause more interference in your situation than in others...
The only way to troubleshoot the issue is either to remove the VDA or put your squeezebox in a different position... or just change your wifi channel... Sometimes wifi works  like magic...

dekaliber

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2009, 03:20 am »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I'll continue my observations.  I've also noted some interference before with my HD antenna in certain positions, which might lend some credence to the steel thing.  I wasn't able to find anything about this when I Googled, so I suspected that it's not a common issue.

dekaliber

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2009, 05:17 am »
So I played around with the setup a bit more and determined that it is definitely the VAC-1 that's causing the interference.

The two CI units are located on top of my TV stand -- temporary place for them for the audition.  My SB3 is located on the first shelf under them.

If I move the VAC-1 towards the back of the stand and keep the SB in the front, connectivity issues arise -- remote becomes less responsive, eventually connection drops.  If I move the VAC-1 towards the front, and push the SB back, everything works beautifully.

So it would appear that the SB needs to be essentially "behind" the VAC-1 if it's under it.  I haven't tested what would happen if the SB were on the top shelf above the CI stuff, which I suspect is by far a more common/logical configuration.  I'll probably reconnect things tomorrow like that and see what happens.

I moved them back and forth several times to confirm that I'm not completely insane.  I'm willing to make a video of this happening if you still think I am.

Could it be that this VAC-1 in question is defective?

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2009, 10:09 am »
Have you tried using the wall wart instead, leaving the VAC in the location that causes problems and unplugging it?