A must try free demo!

vinyl_lady

Re: A must try free demo!
« Reply #200 on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:54 pm »
Hey, Laura.  Did you find the source of the cartridge hum in your system?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I'm curious, as is Kevin, whose email I forwarded to you.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Maybe. I say maybe because in the course of putting the system back together and checking the system per Kevin's email there was no hum at the amp or pre amp stage until I plugged the tonearm cable into the pre amp and the TT motor into the back of the PPP. I first tried lifting the ground on the PPP by removing the ground pin from the PS Audio power cable--that made maters worse so I reinstalled the ground pin. I then checked the headshell leads and in the course of checking the connections, the left channel headshell lead came loose from the headshell pin connector and then fell from the cartridge pin connector. I have ordered new headshell leads and, hopefully, that will solve the noise problem. If not, I still have the TT ground to check and I'll try replacing the tubes in my pre amp. I also have an SUT Mark loaned me to try with the MM inputs.

I appreciate the help Dave.

Laura

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #201 on: 25 Mar 2010, 01:53 am »
Hi Dave,

Maybe. I say maybe because in the course of putting the system back together and checking the system per Kevin's email there was no hum at the amp or pre amp stage until I plugged the tonearm cable into the pre amp and the TT motor into the back of the PPP. I first tried lifting the ground on the PPP by removing the ground pin from the PS Audio power cable--that made maters worse so I reinstalled the ground pin. I then checked the headshell leads and in the course of checking the connections, the left channel headshell lead came loose from the headshell pin connector and then fell from the cartridge pin connector. I have ordered new headshell leads and, hopefully, that will solve the noise problem. If not, I still have the TT ground to check and I'll try replacing the tubes in my pre amp. I also have an SUT Mark loaned me to try with the MM inputs.

I appreciate the help Dave.

Laura
I didn't do much except to alert the troops.  Keep me posted.

Later,

Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #202 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:06 am »
Wait a minute. So Laura is not only an audiophile, and just as eat up with this as the rest of us, but also likes watching basketball games. Laura, are you really female?  :o

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #203 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:07 am »
Ahhh.  At the source.  I was wrong......

Yes, but only to a point.  You would be amazed as to how much RFI and EMI can be picked up on the way, even in home runs.  If the circuit is in properly grounded EMT or rigid then no problem.  If it is just Romex there is a potential (pun?) for noise induction.

Dave

I use Shakti On-Lines on all my Romex circuit lines, I got a good deal on a bunch of used ones so instead of using them on my system, I used them in the cellar on all 4 circuit lines.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #204 on: 25 Mar 2010, 11:31 am »
Wait a minute. So Laura is not only an audiophile, and just as eat up with this as the rest of us, but also likes watching basketball games. Laura, are you really female?  :o

:inlove:     :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #205 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:11 pm »
All that and we get to meet her at RMAF, too.  That will be a very good thing, methinks.

Dave

ctviggen

« Reply #206 on: 25 Mar 2010, 04:05 pm »

My wife played in the band at college, and they played all the basketball games.  She knows more about basketball than I do and would love to watch the games (with our schedule, we don't have time to watch sports).

trekker

« Reply #207 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:31 pm »
Yippee received my (2) MajikBUss rev.B's! Currently have them burning-in at work. My computer and monitor works much better now, even my fan :lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #208 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:35 pm »
Yippee received my (2) MajikBUss rev.B's! Currently have them burning-in at work. My computer and monitor works much better now, even my fan :lol:

That's better then nothing but you need more draw then that.

trekker

« Reply #209 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:11 pm »
That's better then nothing but you need more draw then that.

I didn't want to hook it up to some of the industrial equipment on the manufacturing floor as they may get damaged. Atleast it's safe in my office. Once I get home, they'll be plugged into the refrigerator until this weekend for some listening. Then back to the refrigerator M-F.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #210 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:13 pm »
I didn't want to hook it up to some of the industrial equipment on the manufacturing floor as they may get damaged. Atleast it's safe in my office. Once I get home, they'll be plugged into the refrigerator until this weekend for some listening. Then back to the refrigerator M-F.

If you mean damaged as in bumped and scratched then yes.  If you mean damaged as too much current or not being able to handle the draw, then no.  These can handle (30A) if I'm not mistaken.  If you can hook them up to some machinery that has a high amperage cyclic draw, DO IT!   

TrungT

« Reply #211 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:23 pm »
Trekker
"plugged into the refrigerator"
Your beverage will be nice cold and Your ice will be crystal clear.  :wink:
If there are the way I plugged the whole house into it.  :thumb:

trekker

« Reply #212 on: 25 Mar 2010, 07:01 pm »
I'm trying to convince my IT person to let me have the servers plugged into the MajikBuss. That room gets pretty darn warm that it has a dedicated AC unit. For some odd reason, he won't take the servers offline so I can plugged the units.  :(

JT, I didn't want the units to be scratched near the machinery.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #213 on: 25 Mar 2010, 07:02 pm »
I'm trying to convince my IT person to let me have the servers plugged into the MajikBuss. That room gets pretty darn warm that it has a dedicated AC unit. For some odd reason, he won't take the servers offline so I can plugged the units.  :(

JT, I didn't want the units to be scratched near the machinery.

meh.  Just plug your stereo into them and enjoy them then.  It's an interesting experience...

vinyl_lady

« Reply #214 on: 26 Mar 2010, 06:30 am »

:lol:
I just returned from a business trip and caught up with this thread. It must be in the genes. My mother is 92 1/2 and is the biggest sports fan I know. Last year she missed her first University of Colorado home football game in 25 years (she and Dad bought season tickets in 1953). Her TV is either on a football, basketball or baseball game or Fox News. I saw my first college football game when I was 5. My brother, sister and I grew up going to college football and basketball games. My younger sister's husband played and coached college basketball and is a scout with the New Orleans Hornets. She watches enough basketball in a year to last 3 life times. She's also a music freak and has introduced me to lots of music I might have otherwise missed. I must have passed it on because my oldest daughter has U of O season tickets and my youngest daughter is a sports fan, into music and audio, and has her eye on my vinyl collection. I have always been puzzled why more women aren't into high end audio. As I told Jason, I have always liked listening to music and was satisfied with a Magnovox record player that had attached speakers until I was in my late 20's and we had dinner one night at a friend's house in KC who had Martin Logan speakers, a Garrard TT, Nakamichi tape decks and Marantz equipment. I had no idea records and tapes could sound that good and I was hooked. The Magnavox just wouldn't cut it anymore. I have several female friends who have had the same experience after they listen to music on my system. It is fun helping them pick out a system.

See you at RMAF

Laura

« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2010, 01:05 am by vinyl_lady »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #215 on: 27 Mar 2010, 12:55 am »
:lol:
I just returned from a business trip and caught up with this thread. It must be in the genes. My mother is 92 1/2 and is the biggest sports fan I know. Last year she missed her first University of Colorado home football game in 25 years (she and Dad bought season tickets in 1953). Her TV is either on a football, basketball or baseball game or Fox News. I saw my first college football game when I was 5. My brother, sister and I grew up going to college football and basketball games. My younger sister's husband played and coached college basketball and is a scout with the New Orleans Hornets. She watches enough basketball in a year to last 3 life times. She's also a music freak and has introduced me to lots of music I might have other wise missed. I must have passed it on because my oldest daughter has U of O season tickets and my youngest daughter is a sports fan, in to music and audio, and has her eye on my vinyl collection. I have always been puzzled why more women aren't into high end audio. As I told Jason, I have always liked listening to music and was satisfied with a Magnovox record player that had attached speakers until I was in my late 20's and we had dinner one night at a friend's house in KC who had Martin Logan speakers, a Garrard TT, Nakamichi tape decks and Marantz equipment. I had no idea records and tapes could sound that good and I was hooked. The Magnavox just wouldn't cut it anymore. I have several female friends who have had the same experience after they listen to music on my system. It is fun helping them pick out a system.

See you at RMAF

Laura
I'm looking forward to a big dinner with Danny, Gary, Jason, me and Gayle, Eric, my buddies, Jim, Kevin, Colin and George and a whole bunch more of the geekoids...  It will be a great time.  There mis a lot of great places to eat close to the Tech Center.  It'll be fun.

Dave

vinyl_lady

« Reply #216 on: 27 Mar 2010, 01:07 am »
I'm looking forward to a big dinner with Danny, Gary, Jason, me and Gayle, Eric, my buddies, Jim, Kevin, Colin and George and a whole bunch more of the geekoids...  It will be a great time.  There mis a lot of great places to eat close to the Tech Center.  It'll be fun.
Dave

I used to live less than a mile east of the Marriott and know the area pretty well. Lots of good restaurants nearby.  :drool:

Laura

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #217 on: 27 Mar 2010, 02:19 am »
Ok, you folks are already making me wish it was October 2010. 

I need to retire!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #218 on: 27 Mar 2010, 02:27 am »
Ok, you folks are already making me wish it was October 2010. 

I need to retire!

Only 6 1/2 months to go :green:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #219 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:20 am »
Just thought I would take a moment to praise the/my Uber.  Been about seven or eight weeks now.  All my recordings sound the better for it.  Modified this ole post two clicks down.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2010, 06:42 am by jimdgoulding »