A must try free demo!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: A must try free demo!
« Reply #100 on: 5 Feb 2010, 02:42 pm »
I'm not sure what you went for, but I would do an Uber at least.

I am very seriously considering discontinuing the MajikBUSS since 75% of my sales are Ubers.  I am thinking of replacing the MajikBUSS with a SubBUSS... a unit dedicated to power amps with the same EMI/RFI unit as a Majik, but the PFC network from the Uber.  It will be a better performer all around and sell for $695.00.  It would fit in a Majik enclosure.

I have been doing a lot of research and listening and I think this is the way to go.  High current devices like amps like the more robust PFC that the Uber provides.  Digital sources like the enhanced EMI/RFI treatment that the Uber provides.

What did you go with, BTW?

Dave

Dave, 

I have my subs and such plugged into the AM stuff which is then plugged into the Uber.  Is there a better way? 

Philistine

« Reply #101 on: 5 Feb 2010, 03:18 pm »
I have a question related to power cords:

Is the power cord that feeds the uber/magik critica or not?  I seem to recall reading that you can use a 'standard' power cord to feed them, but the power cord from the uber/magik to the equipment is more critical......

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #102 on: 5 Feb 2010, 03:43 pm »
I have a question related to power cords:

Is the power cord that feeds the uber/magik critica or not?  I seem to recall reading that you can use a 'standard' power cord to feed them, but the power cord from the uber/magik to the equipment is more critical......

Phil,

I found that there is indeed a difference in terms of which power cord is used to connect the UberBUSS to the wall.

Of course, YMMV.

George

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #103 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:42 pm »
I've had my UberBuss running since last friday.  Dave did do a partial break-in for me.  Mine has Furutech gold all around.

It is pretty much the same as when Satfrat brought his over, extreamly clear vocals and instruments and their position on the soundstage is more apparent.  The video colors are more vibrant.

I have my BPT power conditioner, Reval 15 Sub, AVA Insight+ Dac, and D-Sonic Magnum 2000 Amp plugged into it.  My Sony 60" TV, Anthem D2v, OPPO BD83, Squeezebox, Tivo 3 and Sony Pearl projector are plugged into the BPT.  I have all Morrow MA4 interconnects all around and Black Sand Silver Ref MKV power cords on most everything.

I never tried the MajikBuss but the Uber isn't going anywhere.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #104 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:54 pm »
Dave,

What's the difference between the SubBuss and Uber?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #105 on: 10 Feb 2010, 07:21 pm »
Phil,

I found that there is indeed a difference in terms of which power cord is used to connect the UberBUSS to the wall.

Of course, YMMV.

George

+1 (I seem to be doing that a lot today,. Phil.  :)  )   Unaware of this thread's latest discussions I changed out my pc from UberbBuss to wall (went from Black Sand Silver Ref Mk V to Kaplan Conditioner) and experienced a subtle but definite change (for the good in my system).  It seems to be quite sensitive to power cords, yes.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #106 on: 10 Feb 2010, 07:23 pm »
+1 (I seem to be doing that a lot today,. Phil.  :)  )   Unaware of this thread's latest discussions I changed out my pc from UberbBuss to wall (went from Black Sand Silver Ref Mk V to Kaplan Conditioner) and experienced a subtle but definite change (for the good in my system).  It seems to be quite sensitive to power cords, yes.

+1 on the PC change Ted.

That's what I use.

George

Philistine

« Reply #107 on: 10 Feb 2010, 07:26 pm »
I've got my PC's all lined up: Lessloss, Kaplan and a Grover Huffman  :eyebrows:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #108 on: 10 Feb 2010, 09:51 pm »
Dave,

What's the difference between the SubBuss and Uber?
I see the cat is out of the bag  :lol:

I have been toying with the idea of discontinuing the MajikBUSS and replacing it.  I built a prototype unit and sent it to Mr. Dodd for his evaluation and I think that I will indeed be adding it to the line as the MajikBUSS, RevB priced @ $749.00 and keep the MajikBUSS in the lineup as well as an entry level unit.

The primary difference is that the RevB will have the PFC section of the Uber and the EMI/RFI core from the Majik.  A lot of power amps, especially subwoofer amps need more efficient transformers and this unit will help TX efficiency.  Power amps need less EMI/RFI treatment than low level units like phono pres and digital front ends.  This unit will just add the choice for the buyer to tailor his treatment for the application.

Perhaps Gary can fill in on the performance of the unit as a third party user.

Any more questions, just let me know.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #109 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:04 pm »
Dave, 

I have my subs and such plugged into the AM stuff which is then plugged into the Uber.  Is there a better way?
Jason, I'm not sure, frankly.  I have not tried the Audio Magic conditioners so I can make a wise estimation.  I would just swap it around a see what works.  I'll give you a 'gut feeling' answer, though:  I think that the subs will benefit from see the Uber as the last unit, ie,  AM > Uber > sub amps for the most punch and dynamics.  I have nothing to stand on here other than my intuition.  It may make zero difference.

I can built a unit specifically for subs that "should" be much better than even the Uber, but that will be dependent upon the actual line impedance and current draw of the sub amps, themselves. 

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #110 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:34 pm »
I see the cat is out of the bag  :lol:

Dave

Please see your post #98 in this thread.  You let it out...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:49 pm »
Jason, I'm not sure, frankly.  I have not tried the Audio Magic conditioners so I can make a wise estimation.  I would just swap it around a see what works.  I'll give you a 'gut feeling' answer, though:  I think that the subs will benefit from see the Uber as the last unit, ie,  AM > Uber > sub amps for the most punch and dynamics.  I have nothing to stand on here other than my intuition.  It may make zero difference.

I can built a unit specifically for subs that "should" be much better than even the Uber, but that will be dependent upon the actual line impedance and current draw of the sub amps, themselves. 

Dave

Hmm.  What about an uber before the AM stuff and after?  Would that accomplish the same thing?  I have too much equipment for an Uber...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #112 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:52 pm »
Please see your post #98 in this thread.  You let it out...
Oh, I know that... I was just joshin'.  It did give me an opportunity to make a committment to myself just before I posted that I am going to keep the Majik, though.

Thanks for the opportunity to officially name it the RevB.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #113 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:53 pm »
Oh, I know that... I was just joshin'.  It did give me an opportunity to make a committment to myself just before I posted that I am going to keep the Majik, though.

Thanks for the opportunity to officially name it the RevB.

Dave

Oh ok.  I live in a confidential world so I take that stuff very seriously.   :)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #114 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:57 pm »
Hmm.  What about an uber before the AM stuff and after?  Would that accomplish the same thing?  I have too much equipment for an Uber...
I also build filtered extensions for when there is too much gear.  You have to remember that there is only a 15A input on a standard Uber, though.  If you need more outlets for low level gear we should talk about a quad extension(s) or if you have quite a few high current pieces you really do need another unit of some sort.  Before and after the AM would be an interesting thing to try, though.  It all seems to be cumulative.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #115 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:58 pm »
I also build filtered extensions for when there is too much gear.  You have to remember that there is only a 15A input on a standard Uber, though.  If you need more outlets for low level gear we should talk about a quad extension(s) or if you have quite a few high current pieces you really do need another unit of some sort.  Before and after the AM would be an interesting thing to try, though.  It all seems to be cumulative.

Dave

Hmm.   :scratch:      I will send you my idea....:thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #116 on: 10 Feb 2010, 11:06 pm »
Hmm.   :scratch:      I will send you my idea....:thumb:

You have mail

jimdgoulding

« Reply #117 on: 10 Feb 2010, 11:18 pm »
Mr. UberBUSS arrived today for audition.  Thanks, Danny.  I've plugged it in to warm up.  Is that sufficient or should it have some current running thru and out of it?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #118 on: 10 Feb 2010, 11:21 pm »
Mr. UberBUSS arrived today for audition.  Thanks, Danny.  I've plugged it in to warm up.  Is that sufficient or should it have some current running thru and out of it?

Nothing to really "warm up".  The best is to just use it.  Yes, having something that uses high current will help but IMO just use it and start the process. 

Enjoy!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #119 on: 10 Feb 2010, 11:56 pm »

Yep, what he said, use all the outlets you can Jim. Even tho I'm only using 1 outlet, I ran 150watt lighbulbs thru the other 3 outlet 24/7 for a week just to burn the whole unit in real good. But basically you should hear the improvement in the 1st moment you use the Buss, I did. Have fun Jim & let the jazz flow.  8)

Cheers,
Robin