Name the "Beast/HT4"

OgOgilby

Re: Name the "Beast/HT4"
« Reply #360 on: 7 Oct 2009, 05:00 pm »
How about Soundscape or even Soundscape 12!

Had to beat Oneinthepipe  :wink:

markie

« Reply #361 on: 9 Oct 2009, 03:18 pm »

Brilliant name! Isn't it amazing how such inspirations just come to you?  :wink:

OgOgilby

« Reply #362 on: 9 Oct 2009, 04:30 pm »

Brilliant name! Isn't it amazing how such inspirations just come to you?  :wink:

Yes, it's almost like I read it somewhere :lol:

jackass

« Reply #363 on: 21 Oct 2009, 07:38 pm »
Jim,

Is "soundscape" official? (Actually I'm just shamelessly prodding for an update)

jsalk

« Reply #364 on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:02 pm »
Jim,

Is "soundscape" official? (Actually I'm just shamelessly prodding for an update)

Not "official" yet.  I have to do a search to make sure we don't infringe on anyone.  Hope to get to that this week-end.

- Jim

Paul K.

« Reply #365 on: 21 Oct 2009, 09:08 pm »
I could be completely wrong but in the back of my mind I seem to remember Sony using the name Soundscape for their products sometime in the past.
Paul

Not "official" yet.  I have to do a search to make sure we don't infringe on anyone.  Hope to get to that this week-end.

- Jim
[/quote]

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #366 on: 21 Oct 2009, 10:49 pm »
I don't recall the Sony products.  Of course it used to be Sony-Superscope, but I assume that's not what you're recalling.  Anyhow, I've done a search twice, and the only conflct I've found is with audio dealerships.  There is at least one large dealer called Soundscape.  I don't know whether that's a problem or not. 

Paul K.

« Reply #367 on: 21 Oct 2009, 10:54 pm »
Actually it was Superscope I was confusing with Soundscape, I guess.   Just goes to show you how screwed up our memory gets as we age! :oops:
Paul

I don't recall the Sony products.  Of course it used to be Sony-Superscope, but I assume that's not what you're recalling.  Anyhow, I've done a search twice, and the only conflct I've found is with audio dealerships.  There is at least one large dealer called Soundscape.  I don't know whether that's a problem or not.

Carl V

« Reply #368 on: 21 Oct 2009, 11:03 pm »

change it to Soundskape or SoundSkape.....tying into SalK

once again nice speaker. 
I've heard it at AK & RMAF.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #369 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:07 am »
Jim:

I don't know if you found this yet.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4001:hjfn0r.2.1

Creative includes speakers in their wordmark/trademark (except outdoor speakers, for which another company had a trademark that has since expired.)   The name, however, seems to have been used by Ensoniq, a company that Creative acquired, which used the Soundscape name in PC sound cards. 

Creative does not appear to have ever had a Soundscape speaker. Also, soundscape is defined in Wikipedia as "a sound or combination of sounds that forms or arises from an immersive environment" and might be a term in common usage to the extent that a manufacturer wouldn't be prevented from using the name for a speaker when another manufacturer hasn't previously used the name for a speaker.  (But I don't practice in this area of law.)

sfox7076

« Reply #370 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:09 am »
http://tmportal.uspto.gov/external/portal/tow?SRCH=Y&isSubmitted=true&details=&SELECT=US+Serial+No&TEXT=74565438

SoundScape is registered to a FLA company that makes outdoor speakers and sells them under that name.  They got a 10 year renewal on their mark in 2007.  Looks like that is a worse issue.  I am a bankruptcy lawyer, but have dealt with some of these issues before.  They are not fun.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #371 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:25 am »
http://tmportal.uspto.gov/external/portal/tow?SRCH=Y&isSubmitted=true&details=&SELECT=US+Serial+No&TEXT=74565438

SoundScape is registered to a FLA company that makes outdoor speakers and sells them under that name.  Looks like that is a worse issue.

If Jim wanted to name them Mushroom Speakers, I would say forget it, obviously.  However, that mark is specifically for outdoor speakers, and those speakers have such a distinct appearance that the HT4 could hardly be confused with a Mushroom speaker.  Since "soundscape" is such a common word in audio, I am not certain that either registration is an impediment.  If so, I think that the Soundscape Mushroom speaker people would have sued Creative, the deep pocket, long ago, if the name were that exclusive.  (I will look to see if there has been an action, nevertheless.)

Since we are both attorneys, maybe we could ask our patent/intellectual property attorney friends.  Regardless, I agree that these issues are not fun, especially if the entity ends up as your client, as a result.  :o

sfox7076

« Reply #372 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:53 am »
I will ask a Trademark guy in my office tomorrow.  That likelihood of confusion stuff tends to be really hard to ascertain until you get to an actual decision...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #373 on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:23 pm »

change it to Soundskape or SoundSkape.....tying into SalK

once again nice speaker. 
I've heard it at AK & RMAF.

SalkSkape

Wayner

« Reply #374 on: 22 Oct 2009, 01:26 pm »
Doesn't Soundscape 12, or Soundscape 10 differentiate the term from others that may have used the same name phrase, or hyphenating it as such: Soundscape-12, or Soundscape-10?

Wayner

sfox7076

« Reply #375 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:13 pm »
Wayner,

That is what litigation is for...

Shawn

funkmonkey

« Reply #376 on: 23 Oct 2009, 12:38 am »
10% difference, right?

Nuance

« Reply #377 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:09 am »
10% difference, right?

10% is still a difference, right?  :) 

T6902wf

« Reply #378 on: 23 Oct 2009, 10:37 am »
I think Jim had a good idea in the first few posts.

The Salk NC 1, No Compromise 1.  You can go places from there.  The NC Subwoofer,  surround speaker..... 

Good Luck

Jeff B.

« Reply #379 on: 24 Oct 2009, 01:05 am »
Here was a suggestion I came up with. Since the word is public domain I don't think there would be any problem in using it as a name.....although I know it's not really Jim's kind of name.....what do you guys think? - Jeff B.

Renaissance  1. A rebirth, a revival, especially in the arts. From the Old French, renaistre, meaning ?to be born again?. 

The SalkSound Renaissance10 and Renaissance12 loudspeakers represent a rebirth of the art of musical reproduction and loudspeaker design that must be heard to be appreciated. Hear a loudspeaker whose accuracy, detail, and timbre are so close to lifelike that it is uncanny. The Renaissance series loudspeakers produce a panorama of sound that is detailed and stunningly accurate from the deepest bass to well beyond the range of human hearing, yet the illusion is that there is absolutely nothing coming out of the speaker cabinets. People always talk about the illusion of being there. With these speakers you simply are there. On a good recording, the illusion is more perfect than anything you have ever heard outside of the performance itself. Experience a revival of musical pleasure, a rebirth of the musical experience complete with the excitement that will keep you up half the night hearing your favorite music again for the first time.

It is time for the Renaissance Experience. It is time to experience the Renaissance.

SalkSound Renaissance10 and Renaissance12 Loudspeakers

Contact SalkSound for details.