Name the "Beast/HT4"

Mr_Superstar

Re: Name the "Beast/HT4"
« Reply #180 on: 24 May 2009, 03:16 pm »
I don't know if it's been suggested before, but: Salk Tradition

Mudslide

« Reply #181 on: 25 May 2009, 09:55 pm »
Well...since I seem to have blundered on the earlier presentation of my humble name suggestion....I once again try stumble into winning circle with (for many of the right reasons)....Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the....

Salk AUDACITY

aa

Pirate

« Reply #182 on: 26 May 2009, 03:30 am »
SALK VERACITY MASTERS aa

turkey

« Reply #183 on: 26 May 2009, 02:57 pm »

You obviously heard wrong.

George

My cousin's a big Yankees fan, and he said the old stadium had become a real dump.

AndrewA

« Reply #184 on: 26 May 2009, 07:12 pm »
SALK Fortississimo.

fff  Form follows function.  Clearly the best way to go.  Is anyone else just the slightest bit reminded of the design of the original B&W 801s?

Rapt

« Reply #185 on: 26 May 2009, 08:24 pm »
Jim..

Here is the name for your speakers .. ready..  aa

SALK SOUND BARRIERS This has been a quest for mankind to break in flight, your speaker has brought this chase to the audio world  :thumb:

EDIT looks like this would be a trademark violation.. damn.

other ideas

Salk Soundscapes
  Salk eScapes

dlneubec

« Reply #186 on: 31 May 2009, 11:58 pm »
Hi Jim,

Congratulations to you, Dennis, Jeff, Paul and John and your staff for your accomplishmet.  That is one heck of a team.  I wish you could have brought these to inDIYana this year.  What a treat it would have been to hear them!  The look is simply stunning.  They are a work of art and I'm sure the sound is simply amazing.  To top it off you have done it in an impressively small cabinet. 

Maybe you should call them the Salk Applause, because I suspect you are in for a lot of that when people hear and see them.  I hope you sell a ton of them.... wait, that is only about 6 pairs, so lets make that a few tons of them.

All the best,

Dan Neubecker

bryede

« Reply #187 on: 1 Jun 2009, 12:32 am »
Salk Lumen
Salk Lumina
Salk Luminance

The word has roots in both pipe organs and light measurement

...or maybe the Murphinator.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #188 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:26 am »
Salk Lumen
Salk Lumina
Salk Luminance

The word has roots in both pipe organs and light measurement

...or maybe the Murphinator.

Weird coincidence.  I've been doing copy tests on consumers all week to see whether they understand what "lumen" means on light bulb packages (really).  They don't.  As for Murphinator--that's the worst name Evvvverrr.  But keep them coming. 

bryede

« Reply #189 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:33 am »
Weird coincidence.  I've been doing copy tests on consumers all week to see whether they understand what "lumen" means on light bulb packages (really).  They don't.  As for Murphinator--that's the worst name Evvvverrr.  But keep them coming.

Dennis,

In this case you'd need to restrict your subjects to people who might be in a position to buy $10K+ speakers. I bet the numbers would go up. IMHO, it sounds pretty either way. :)

-Bry

funkmonkey

« Reply #190 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:38 am »
I like the Lumen reference, how about:

Salk Sound Illuminator

bryede

« Reply #191 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:47 am »
That dye really does look nice on those. They look almost like candy apples. Maybe a name having to do with candy or dessert....

What is the material between the upper and lower cabinet?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #192 on: 1 Jun 2009, 02:46 am »

Salk Sound Illuminator

I'm afraid Scan Speak already has that one spoken for.  It's a new line of drivers even more expensive than their Revelators.  I tried out the 5" Illuminator for the HT4, Beast, whatever,  and it just wasn't sensitive enough. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #193 on: 1 Jun 2009, 02:48 am »
Salk Dominators

Alex aa

PMAT

« Reply #194 on: 1 Jun 2009, 03:00 am »
Dominatrix if used in 5.1 system.  :icon_twisted:

funkmonkey

« Reply #195 on: 1 Jun 2009, 03:43 am »

Salk Sound Illuminator

I'm afraid Scan Speak already has that one spoken for.  It's a new line of drivers even more expensive than their Revelators.  I tried out the 5" Illuminator for the HT4, Beast, whatever,  and it just wasn't sensitive enough.

Shoot, this is tuff stuff coming up with an original name...

the tweeter section reminds me a bit of:

Salk Bel Air

Or how about:

Polysynthesis

(Pol`y*syn"the*sis\, n. [Poly- + synthesis.]
1. The act or process of combining many separate elements into a whole.)

maxwalrath

« Reply #196 on: 1 Jun 2009, 03:18 pm »
I know it was a huge group effort to make the speaker happen, but I like the name "Dennis Murphy Statements".  I've never met Dennis or anything, but I like the idea of reminding the general public that there's an art to making great crossovers.  This gives the prospective purchaser the chance to google Dennis (probably a really unattractive option for Dennis  :lol:) and look into other solid speakers he's been involved in.  It is kind of a subtle dig to the rest of the $10k+ speaker market that says "just because A or B's speaker has extra-fancy parts, that doesn't mean they've been put together or utilized properly, like Dennis Murphy does"

rydenfan

« Reply #197 on: 1 Jun 2009, 03:26 pm »
Statement has been used by Martin Logan. They are not going to re-use a name another manufacturer has already used.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #198 on: 1 Jun 2009, 04:42 pm »
I know it was a huge group effort to make the speaker happen, but I like the name "Dennis Murphy Statements".  I've never met Dennis or anything, but I like the idea of reminding the general public that there's an art to making great crossovers.  This gives the prospective purchaser the chance to google Dennis (probably a really unattractive option for Dennis  :lol:) and look into other solid speakers he's been involved in.  It is kind of a subtle dig to the rest of the $10k+ speaker market that says "just because A or B's speaker has extra-fancy parts, that doesn't mean they've been put together or utilized properly, like Dennis Murphy does"

Thanks very much for the vote of confidence, but that would really be a misnomer.   I'm only responsible for the crossover design and the idea of using some backwave information.  Jim found the drivers and came up with a cabinet design that would preserve my insane demands, and Jeff Bagby developed the bass loading system.  In any event, Googling names can be dangerous.  A fellow economist here at the FTC decided to see whether any of his pathbreaking articles had received due recognition, and typed his name into the google search bar.   3 billion cites.  Not bad for an FTC economist.  The name?  Roger Boner.

bryede

« Reply #199 on: 1 Jun 2009, 05:10 pm »

Thanks very much for the vote of confidence, but that would really be a misnomer.   I'm only responsible for the crossover design and the idea of using some backwave information.  Jim found the drivers and came up with a cabinet design that would preserve my insane demands, and Jeff Bagby developed the bass loading system.  In any event, Googling names can be dangerous.  A fellow economist here at the FTC decided to see whether any of his pathbreaking articles had received due recognition, and typed his name into the google search bar.   3 billion cites.  Not bad for an FTC economist.  The name?  Roger Boner.
You can't have a very easy childhood with a name like that.

Maybe we should name the speakers after him. :P :P