Name the "Beast/HT4"

BrianM

Re: Name the "Beast/HT4"
« Reply #140 on: 19 May 2009, 04:16 pm »
I see some of my prize-winning suggestions were deleted during the great downage. Ah well.

Nuance

« Reply #141 on: 19 May 2009, 04:50 pm »
^ Yes, that is a shame.  It's good to be back, though.  Hopefully that never happens again. 

turkey

« Reply #142 on: 19 May 2009, 05:54 pm »
^ Yes, that is a shame.  It's good to be back, though.  Hopefully that never happens again.

It was funny to see some of the idiots over at AA getting their rocks off about it though. They were so happy you'd have thought they just won the lottery or something.

randybessinger

« Reply #143 on: 19 May 2009, 06:26 pm »
Salk Tsunami
Salk Solstice (has this one been mentioned)

turkey

« Reply #144 on: 19 May 2009, 07:45 pm »

Salk Celebration

Toka

« Reply #145 on: 19 May 2009, 08:21 pm »
Salk Avatar...

"an incarnation, embodiment, or manifestation of a person or idea".

Rapt

« Reply #146 on: 19 May 2009, 10:35 pm »
Salk sound Statements  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #147 on: 20 May 2009, 12:27 am »
'fraid that one's taken.  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=197616&highlight=Holtz+Statements

And it uses an open mid arrangement like the HT4's. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #148 on: 20 May 2009, 01:47 am »
Holtz may have never registered the name as a trademark. I don't know if statement can even be registered as a trademark or used as an exclusive brand name.  "Statement" is common language, unlike iPod, Tostitos, and Pepsi Cola. I don't think anyone would confuse the Holtz Statement speaker with the Salk Signature Sound Statement TL-12 speaker (or whatever inclusive name).

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #149 on: 20 May 2009, 01:57 am »
It's not a matter of law--it's a matter of common courtesy.

Nuance

« Reply #150 on: 20 May 2009, 05:14 am »
^ Good point.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #151 on: 20 May 2009, 11:16 am »
'fraid that one's taken.  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=197616&highlight=Holtz+Statements

And it uses an open mid arrangement like the HT4's.
so?  m-l took it first, and it didn't stop holtz from using the name.   :lol:  if originality of the name is an issue, a lot of the suggestions are no good...

doug s.

turkey

« Reply #152 on: 20 May 2009, 02:11 pm »
I'm going to cast a vote for "Salk Melody," although it was sort of mentioned by someone else previously.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #153 on: 20 May 2009, 02:24 pm »
I don't think that it is discourteous to name a speaker Salk Statement when there is an existing speaker named Holtz Statement.  They are clearly not going to be confused as the same speaker, but I am not Mr. or Mrs. Holtz, and perhaps he or she would feel differently.  If there had been a Holtz SongTower prior to a Salk SongTower, that would obviously be discourteous in addition to a brand name infringement.  As a lawyer, perhaps I am better at law than courtesy, although I hope that is not the case, because I attempt to treat everyone kindly.  My apology to those who believed that my analysis suggested that any discourtesy is appropriate.

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #154 on: 20 May 2009, 02:52 pm »
So I'm a big fan of dark music and I happen to like dark sounding names as well.. so what about something like:

Salk Nightmare

I've already mentioned "Salk Demon". Then again, the opposite might be a better name, "Salk Angel" (assuming that the opposite of Demon is Angel).

turkey

« Reply #155 on: 20 May 2009, 03:30 pm »
You could stick with "The Beast."

Then you could build addon subs for home theater use and call them "The BeastBoost."

Addon surround speakers would be "Beasties."

Or the full name could be the Salk Wildebeest. After all, it's your gnu design. :)

martyo

« Reply #156 on: 20 May 2009, 03:35 pm »
You could stick with "The Beast."

Then you could build addon subs for home theater use and call them "The BeastBoost."

Addon surround speakers would be "Beasties."

Or the full name could be the Salk Wildebeest. After all, it's your gnu design.

My vote for the most entertaining post of this thread. 8)

Nuance

« Reply #157 on: 20 May 2009, 03:36 pm »
I don't think that it is discourteous to name a speaker Salk Statement when there is an existing speaker named Holtz Statement.  They are clearly not going to be confused as the same speaker, but I am not Mr. or Mrs. Holtz, and perhaps he or she would feel differently.  If there had been a Holtz SongTower prior to a Salk SongTower, that would obviously be discourteous in addition to a brand name infringement.  As a lawyer, perhaps I am better at law than courtesy, although I hope that is not the case, because I attempt to treat everyone kindly.  My apology to those who believed that my analysis suggested that any discourtesy is appropriate.
I doubt anyone thinks you were being discourteous.  I certainly don't.  And as far as I can tell, you do treat everyone kindly. 

So I'm a big fan of dark music and I happen to like dark sounding names as well.. so what about something like:

Salk Nightmare

I've already mentioned "Salk Demon". Then again, the opposite might be a better name, "Salk Angel" (assuming that the opposite of Demon is Angel).
Dark as in spooky sounding, or dark as in death/black metal?

Jeff B.

« Reply #158 on: 20 May 2009, 04:07 pm »

The speaker designed by Jim H. and Curt C. named the "Statement" is a DIYer speaker and not a commercial product. Also, "Statement" is a generic term, different than something like "Songtower". So, I don't see it as an issue if this name was chosen.

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #159 on: 20 May 2009, 06:19 pm »
Dark as in spooky sounding, or dark as in death/black metal?

Both, actually. I really dig Tool (not always dark.. but mostly..), Cradle of Filth, In Flames, Black Sabbath, and many others on the metal side.

On the opposite side, I recently found a composer named Arvo Part (with an umlaut above the 'a', this board doesn't seem to render it) who composes modern classical music (sorry if that's not the 'exact' genre). It's pretty minimal, but definitely sounds "dark" but very beautiful. I'd highly recommend checking him out.

Edit: I also can't forget about the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Bach, this is a magnificent piece and I'd definitely say it's "dark". Perhaps my mind is warped?