Question about room treatments

arthurs

Question about room treatments
« on: 9 May 2009, 01:05 am »
I'll try to keep this short...we're adding on a room and have found a fantastic contractor so I'm thinking of doing some upgrading of my audio room.  The room is pretty darn good as is, but needs a makeover and I'd like to get away from the giant pillars if possible...

Here's my first question.  If I did the triangle cuts of rigid fiberglass to stack floor to ceiling in the corners, which I have read is an effective treatment, would it change the effectiveness of it if I drywalled it in after stacking it from floor to ceiling?

Second question, any change in the effectiveness of a diffusor if I have them mounted into the drywall so they sit flush? 

Question just for Ethan, can I paint my Real Traps Diffusors?

I'm thinking of going with a 3' hardwood floor around the perimeter of the room, with carpeting in the middle, uplighting installed in the hardwood along the walls.

Thanks, and feel free to add anything else at all you'd be thinking about if upgrading a dedicated listening room....

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Question about room treatments
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2009, 04:25 pm »
would it change the effectiveness of it if I drywalled it in after stacking it from floor to ceiling?

Putting drywall in front of bass traps completely negates their effect. Do not do that!

any change in the effectiveness of a diffusor if I have them mounted into the drywall so they sit flush?

That's fine.

can I paint my Real Traps Diffusors?

Sure. That will have no effect at all.

--Ethan

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2009, 09:09 pm »
Thanks Ethan, I will proceed with your counsel in mind....  I guess I'd like to come up with something creative for the corners (as well as they work I am growing weary of looking at the massive tube traps, BUT maybe I shouldn't try to fix what's not broken in that instance) open to any ideas...maybe I just need to do an 8 or 9' tall 4 or 6" panel that covers the corner and get creative on how that is finished....or painted....

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2009, 05:34 pm »
We have designed studios with flush mounted diffusors, and also have a painted one in a high end listening room.  Please consider adding me to your resources!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2009, 06:39 pm »
Just understand that if you recess a diffuser into a wall, some of the reflected waves will hit the sides of the cavity recess and reflect at a different angle than the original design would have had them at.  We want a good polar dispersion pattern at a multitude of frequencies and this can change the ability to do that.  They'll still provide some good diffusion - just not potentially as good.

Now, if you were to build large false areas with grilles on them to hide the diffusers, you can accomplish both with minimal impact to performance.

Bryan

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2009, 07:04 pm »
Hmmm

arthurs

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2009, 07:05 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys.  In retrospect, I'm not certain the diffusors on side walls is viable in any event, so I'll put off that until I get some inputs from an expert. 

I appreciate your offer Allen and will keep SRL in mind.  That said, I have decided to work with someone on this project, no offense to you or Ethan (who my experiences with have been nothing but great) or anyone else, but I have had great interactions with this company and these guys in the past and their technical expertise is sound.  The biggest key for me is having a proven process already in place that gives me the ability to customize the coverings for everything we do, for this project the aesthetic finish has to be there as well as the acoustic solution.  Tomorrow we'll begin to have initial discussions for planning, and to determine what is the optimal approach for the room.

Talk to you tomorrow Bryan...   :wink: