the DEAD 5-5-09 Chicago (Rosemont)

martyo

the DEAD 5-5-09 Chicago (Rosemont)
« on: 7 May 2009, 05:22 pm »
My 1st show was in 1970 at the Fillmore West, I was at the last 2 shows of the Grateful Dead, and around 90 in between. I was at the 1st "Other Ones" at Alpine and one show of the DEAD's 03' tour.  Didn't bother with the '04 tour after the '03 tour. I hadn't planned on seeing this version until my 22 year old daughter asked if WE could go together. I never pass up "hangin" with my daughter. I went to the show with the perspective of being "in the moment" with THIS band. There was a possibility that some good music could happen.
We had an outstanding time and THIS band was on. There was even a  couple of those magical moments.
Set lists:
Set I: Dancin in the Street > Tennessee Jed, Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion, Mr. Charlie, They Love Each Other, Touch Of Grey, Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow
Set II: Truckin > Throwing Stones, Unbroken Chain > Drums > Space > Come Together > Hell in a Bucket > I Know You Rider(Finished out the China Cat they opened with the on the 4th)
Encore: Brokedown Palace

Thanks guys.....

mcullinan

Re: the DEAD 5-5-09 Chicago (Rosemont)
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2009, 05:37 pm »
Jesus I cant see Bob that old... He was the yungin of the group now hes prostate central!
I dont like it being called the Dead since it aint the Dead without Jerry. Though it was the Dead w/o Pigpen.
Anyhow glad you enjoyed it! Looks like a great set!
Mike

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2009, 05:57 pm »
Jesus I cant see Bob that old... He was the yungin of the group now hes prostate central!
I dont like it being called the Dead since it aint the Dead without Jerry. Though it was the Dead w/o Pigpen.
Anyhow glad you enjoyed it! Looks like a great set!
Mike

Thanks Mike, the whole place acted as if they enjoyed it. Set lists with this group really don't tell the story. I thought Golden Road was the best cut, all depends where they decide to hook up. And hey, I'm 58, Bob's 61.... :lol:

Warren wouldn't have been my first choice but it works.

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2009, 06:34 pm »
I have yet to see a show that equals the Dead... someday perhaps...
I have seen some great Blues shows though.

Coming together was the Deads speciality in the day! OF course the shows I saw in the late 80s early 90s werent the equal of earlier shows, but if you didnt start out not knowing that Jerrys voice was so much purer pre coma in 85.. you would believe it was sooper Awesome!! And it was!
Mike

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2009, 07:02 pm »
Coming together was the Deads speciality in the day! OF course the shows I saw in the late 80s early 90s werent the equal of earlier shows, but if you didnt start out not knowing that Jerrys voice was so much purer pre coma in 85.. you would believe it was sooper Awesome!! And it was!

Hey, there were plenty of GREAT shows in the late '80's, and there were off/lame shows in the old days too. Sometimes "we" just like to put things in our own boxes, including the current band, instead of leaving everything out of the box. I even had the 77 Dartmouth or Cornell tape, whatever it was, considered by many as the best show ever, I taped over it. So much depends on one's own perspective........

bregez

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2009, 07:33 pm »
Great Update Martyo.  I always liked the acoustics of the Dead at the Rosemont Horizon.  I missed out this year due to some work commitments and travel.  I am hoping they are planning an Alpine Valley show in the future, possibly 2010?  Now that’s a party!  :P

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2009, 07:48 pm »
Great Update Martyo.  I always liked the acoustics of the Dead at the Rosemont Horizon.  I missed out this year due to some work commitments and travel.  I am hoping they are planning an Alpine Valley show in the future, possibly 2010?  Now that’s a party!  :P

Alpine was the best.....Univ of North Carolina had a course in the '80's named DEAD 101. They made a road trip to Alpine every year.

The sound was very good. My daughter who attends a lot of different shows said the sound was "so" much better than any concert she has been too, somethings don't change......

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2009, 08:11 pm »

Hey, there were plenty of GREAT shows in the late '80's, and there were off/lame shows in the old days too. Sometimes "we" just like to put things in our own boxes, including the current band, instead of leaving everything out of the box. I even had the 77 Dartmouth or Cornell tape, whatever it was, considered by many as the best show ever, I taped over it. So much depends on one's own perspective........
The late 80s had great shows, his voice just had a different quality, which I knew nothing about until I really started to listening to earlier stuff!
And Im not boxing it, just think Jerry was a central figure in making the Dead the Dead. I mean you can use the same name, but its not the same. Ill call them the Ead. hehe...
Or the Ateful Dead.

tvyankee

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2009, 08:15 pm »
hey

glad you had a great time, i was in philly and long island and it was great.  i know if one of them kicked the bucket jerry would keep on groving. im glad there doing there thing.

keep on keeping on.

martyo

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2009, 08:33 pm »
And Im not boxing it

Not you Mike, you have no box. :thumb:

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2009, 08:50 pm »
And Im not boxing it

Not you Mike, you have no box. :thumb:
Awe that brings a nonboxy tear to my eye!
:)
Mike

bprice2

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2009, 09:26 pm »

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2009, 02:40 pm »
Actually I listened to The Dead from May of this year in California.. somewhere and it sounded pretty good! Sans Jerry.. but Ill stop my bitching. Warren is pretty good, and in the Dead vein it was always about adding someone to the mix and letting the flow go and see what they could do. I heard an audience recording, hopefully will be able to hear the soundboards soon!
M

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2009, 02:22 am »
Went to the 5/14 Shoreline show with my wife and youngest son.  It was a great 4 hour show, featuring some early Dead music. Warren & Jeff were both very good, along with the rest of the gang. Phil was incredible.