N2X model on demo tour...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: N2X model on demo tour...
« Reply #240 on: 8 Dec 2010, 01:29 am »
Your gonna enjoy them!!! The packing they've been shipped all around the country in is classic, Alot of miles on them!!! :thumb:

jr1414

« Reply #241 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:14 am »
Finally received these today. Just got them setup in my system for a preliminary listen tonight, sound good so far. Lots more listening to do, so no verdict yet. My everyday speakers are also in PE curved cabinets, so it was easy to place these right in there place. I've noticed they seem to like a very slight toe in, where my other speakers like a slight toe out. Interesting.

The boxes have certainly seen their share of miles, but still holding up fairly well. I half expected to see bumper stickers on the boxes, like you might see on a musicians guitar case.

Just curious, and too lazy to search the posts, are these the stock kits, or are they upgraded kits (sonicaps, mills, no res)?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #242 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:33 am »
I think they are upgraded caps etc. and no rez, the dent on the top of one was already there so don't worry about it when you finally see it. I was a bit freaked...LOL. Enjoy!!!

jr1414

« Reply #243 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:44 am »
I noticed a ding on one corner, and a veneer crack on the top of one speaker. Didn't really look at them thoroughly. Overall I think they've travelled well, considering all the miles.

Ron

« Reply #244 on: 11 Dec 2010, 10:32 am »
 If I am not mistaken they have Sonicap capacitors, Mills resistors and No-Rez performance upgrade options but do not have the Platinum bypass caps.

Danny Richie

« Reply #245 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:39 pm »
If I am not mistaken they have Sonicap capacitors, Mills resistors and No-Rez performance upgrade options but do not have the Platinum bypass caps.

This is correct. I could have added the Platinum by-pass caps and taken them up a notch.

jr1414

« Reply #246 on: 21 Dec 2010, 10:24 pm »
Been enjoying these immensly, but as with all things, my time with these will be coming to an end soon.  With the holidays, schedules get crazy, but I'll be looking to move these on to the next potential customer shortly after New Years.  Danny asked me to post if there was anyone in the NY area that wanted to hear these before they move on to another area.  Feel free to post here and contact Danny to get on the list.  The only regret you'll have is that you'll want a set for yourself....

dheming

« Reply #247 on: 28 Dec 2010, 07:22 am »
I'd be interested in trying these out when they make it out to the west coast.  I'm in the Bay Area specifically.  I want to compare these to my Decware DM944s which use the HiVi RT1C magneplanar tweeter.  I've read that the Neo3 tweeters are quite an upgrade over the HiVi stuff so I'm interested in hearing what they can do.  Also the Deccie's are almost 10dB more sensitive (94dB 1watt/1M) and have only a single cap so it should be interesting to see how they compare in low level detail retrieval.

jr1414

« Reply #248 on: 4 Jan 2011, 06:39 pm »
All good things eventually come to an end...  So, if you're in the NY,NJ.CT area, let Danny know now.  I'll be packing these up tonight or tomorrow.

The time has come to move these along to the next waiting potential customer.  I have enjoyed my time immensely with these speakers.   They are so smooth and such a balanced speaker, that you forget you're listening to a speaker and just enjoy the music.  Here's my thoughts on them.

1.  I've never heard such resolution from a tweeter before without being fatiguing.  Just beautiful natural sounds, without the harshness I've noticed in so many other high end offerings.  There's no wonder that Danny likes these tweeters for so many of his designs.  My current speakers offer great detail and resolution also, but inject a harshness into the sound that many will perceive as increased air around instruments, vocals, etc.  But deeper listening reveals that there is just as much "air" around instruments, just no harshness whatsoever.  A short listening session almost always turns into a longer session, you just want to continue listening.

2.  These speakers definitely sound a lot larger than they are.  You forget you're listening to a monitor at all.  I believe these speakers handle the midrange much better than anything in this size can.  It may be the most endearing quality about this speaker overal.  Often times listening to monitors you're constantly reminding yourself what your missing in these areas. 

3.  What no one talks about with these is the smoothness and detail from the mid range and bass regions.  Great detail and resolution.  I can hear the wood in pianos and acoustic guitars.  Hard to explain, but you know what I'm talking about if you like to listen to live music.  I can even hear the strings of the bass, that's how much these pull out from the recordings.  Personally, I think I'm going to go with one of Danny's other designs when I do build my speakers, but I really don't need any more than what these have to offer. 

I was originally considering doing an OB5 or OB7, but with what I've heard from these, I may end up doing an N3 instead.  They really are that good.

Danny, thanks again for the opportunity to try out these speakers, I truly enjoyed it.

jr1414

« Reply #249 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:12 am »
These should be with the next happy demo'er in Iowa right now.  Enjoy them, Mr. Harris, and post your thoughts for all.

tesseract

« Reply #250 on: 8 Apr 2011, 08:34 am »
These should be with the next happy demo'er in Iowa right now.  Enjoy them, Mr. Harris, and post your thoughts for all.

Since they are that close to me, I better give Danny a call and get on the list. I really need to hear these.

tesseract

« Reply #251 on: 8 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm »
Alrighty then! Just got off the phone with Danny and I am signed up for these bad boys.

Ron

« Reply #252 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:11 am »
  You are in for a musical treat Tesseract. The N2X are remarkably good sounding speakers. Very smooth and natural. I have built quite a few pairs of them for other people and everyone seems to be very happy with there performance. Danny designs great sounding speakers. They are one of my personal favorites.

cujobob

« Reply #253 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:18 am »
Alrighty then! Just got off the phone with Danny and I am signed up for these bad boys.

About time  :lol:

tesseract

« Reply #254 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:38 am »
  You are in for a musical treat Tesseract. The N2X are remarkably good sounding speakers. Very smooth and natural. I have built quite a few pairs of them for other people and everyone seems to be very happy with there performance. Danny designs great sounding speakers. They are one of my personal favorites.

Thanks Ron.

I am interested in the N3 TL, hoping to get a glimpse of the GR Research sound.

tesseract

« Reply #255 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:43 am »
About time  :lol:

How you doing, Cujo?

It will be nice to be able to finally hear the N2X's.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #256 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:51 am »
Wonderful speakers, unbelieveable price !

Ron

« Reply #257 on: 9 Apr 2011, 10:55 pm »
 Tesseract, I have built both the N3TL's and the N3S. In comparison to the N2X, the sound is very similar except that the N3TL and N3S both have higher sensitivity and greater dynamic range. The N3TL has excellent bass response down to 40 hz. The N3S and the N2X being  sealed type systems have good bass down to between 65-70 hz. Therefore, a good subwoofer like the GR Research  12" Servo Sub for example is needed to extend the low bass.

tesseract

« Reply #258 on: 10 Apr 2011, 12:43 am »
Thanks, Ron. I have seen some of your work, beautiful. Cujo had a pair of N2X's that I really wanted, but it was not to be at the time.   :(

I am looking at what would be a good fit for me and my room. Considering waveguided controlled directivity and MTM. So much to look at, lots of great designs out here. GR Research is certainly at the top of my list and I consider Danny's work a must hear.

Upon reflection, the N3S would work better for me than the N3 TL, should I go that route. I have dual 18" subs to pick up the bottom end. Ron or Danny, could you tell me the sensitivity rating of the N3S?

Danny Richie

« Reply #259 on: 10 Apr 2011, 01:08 am »
Danny, could you tell me the sensitivity rating of the N3S?

It is 91db.

And the bigger your subs are the lower you'll want to cross them over to your main speakers. With a sub as big as 18" i'd definitely go with the N3 (transmission line version) so you can play the subs no higher then 40Hz.