N2X model on demo tour...

dpd

Re: N2X model on demo tour...
« Reply #200 on: 8 Sep 2010, 01:38 am »
N2X's arrived Fort Wayne, IN today (7 Sep 10).  Now, if I only had my Systems Engineering homework done!  This weekend is going to be fun.  Thanks, Danny, for the opportunity to evaluate them.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #201 on: 19 Sep 2010, 07:52 pm »
Just curious how they are sounding or if they have moved on???

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #202 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:54 pm »
Did this tour stop? If not does anybody who has heard them have anymore feedback? Thanks!!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #203 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:56 pm »
These tours don't stop!   :o 

I know the N1X's are still going as I had them two people ago. 

So to your question...how does one get on the tour?  Send an email to Danny at info@gr-research.com and let him know.

Danny Richie

« Reply #204 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:58 pm »
They're still out there....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #205 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:27 pm »
They're still out there....

I wonder how many thousands of miles they have.   :scratch:

TomS

« Reply #206 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:49 pm »
I heard them at dpd's in Ft. Wayne last week sounding very nice  :thumb:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #207 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:52 pm »
Just curious how they are sounding or if they have moved on???

Ed - the N2X was at Shadowlight's in NJ back a year or so, I heard them then vs. Onix Ref 1s, the N2X has a very, very nice presentation. I hope you get a chance to hear them.

I was going to build one of Danny's kits as a result, but then stumbled over a pr. of Onix Ref 3s in the nice Piano Maple finish, and I had Skiing Ninja xover upgrades installed, less work for me.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #208 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:57 pm »
I'm on the tour list so eventually they will come my way, I was just curious how the tweeters sound mostly- are they smooth sounding or do they have an edginess to them? Thinking about either building a pair of N2X's or tweaking some JBL's I have with the NEO3 tweets.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #209 on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:27 pm »
Unfortuneatly, most the impressions got posted on the now defunct AV123 board, here's all there is on AC;

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61643.0

I do recall I preferred the N2X ribbon over the Ref 1 Vifa tweeter, the Ref 1 was very forward and fatiguing after an hour. The N2X was neutral, pleasant highs, you could listen to it all day.

And I have a house full of speakers with Vifa tweeters, a complete Rocket HT package of 5 speakers, plus the Reference 3s. You'd think I could take it.  :scratch:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #210 on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:47 pm »
Thanks Gene..thats what I wanted to know if it was fatiguing or not, smooth and listen all day are a good thing!!
Have a safe trip!! :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #211 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:30 pm »
I've just finished building a pair of N2X's using the PE curved cabinets.
My other term of reference are a pair of Salk HT3's and a pair of Criterions from Danny, both using the G2 ribbon tweeter.
The N2 tweeter is smooth to listen to and not at all fatiguing, both spkrs using the G2 have a touch more top end 'airiness' than the N2's and can sound more aggressive with badly recorded material.
For me the strengths of the N2's are the seamless integration of the two drivers and the natural vocals coming out of the M-165X woofer.  Coupling these strengths with the smoothness of the Neo-3 makes a speaker that's great to listen to all day long.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #212 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:47 pm »
Philistine- Thanks for the info, that is also my plan at some point-PE cabinets and N2X drivers in conjunction with my current subwoofer, it will be my first DIY of any type have any tips??

dvenardos

« Reply #213 on: 24 Sep 2010, 06:57 pm »
The N2X are super detailed and clean, blew away my stock av123 strata minis which are very good speakers. You would have to spend a lot of money to get a better speaker.

I'm on the tour list so eventually they will come my way, I was just curious how the tweeters sound mostly- are they smooth sounding or do they have an edginess to them? Thinking about either building a pair of N2X's or tweaking some JBL's I have with the NEO3 tweets.

Philistine

« Reply #214 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:33 pm »
Philistine- Thanks for the info, that is also my plan at some point-PE cabinets and N2X drivers in conjunction with my current subwoofer, it will be my first DIY of any type have any tips??

My tips:

When you order the PE cabinets also order the polyfill...
I sent the baffles to the Skiing Ninja to cut out - Sean did a great job and knows the exact layout for the two drivers.
One of Danny's posts talks about removing part of the bracing inside the cabinets to minimize reflections.
Crossover - I did the first one my way, the second one following Danny's sticky on crossover building.  Danny knows best :duh:
I used JPS wire, difficult to work with so don't use it (I believe Danny has his own wire now).
I got the Cardas binding posts, I believe Danny uses the Electra Tube connectors - don't use the Cardas.

That's about it, the build is pretty straight forwards.  The curved PE boxes look good and are great value but are probably the weakest link, I would love to try the stacked baltic birchwood ply.......

I have an old REL Storm 111 sub, this matches the N3's perfectly and makes the combo really sing.

Good luck with the build..........

Philistine

« Reply #215 on: 25 Sep 2010, 01:55 pm »
Forgot to add:

I bought the Sonicap bypass caps, and also connected the tweeter shunt resistor across the driver terminals in order to simplify the crossover build.

brother love

« Reply #216 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:54 pm »

I bought N2x's from a fellow AC member, which incl. No-Rez & Sonicap upgrades (but no platinum bypasses ... yet).  Danny has truly hit on something magical w/ this bookshelf speaker coupled w/ the B & G Neo3 pdr planar tweeter. I have never heard a better high end frequency sound ever. Cymbals sound like cymbals. Bells, piano, etc. are so lifelike & musically accurate.  Very smooth, no listener's fatigue whatsoever.

From Sean aka Skiing Ninja: "There is no doubt that the GR Research Neo 2X is a marvelous loudspeaker.  In fact, it is so well balanced, it is our benchmark bookshelf loudspeaker."  http://www.skiingninja.com/GR-N2X-Ready-to-Play-p/grn2xfull.htm

With any higher level speaker, it shines w/ better front end electronics & source material.   The N2x's are no exception.  I've run them w/ the Virtue Audio One.2 & Virtue Audio M-451 Sensation (w/ Dodd tube buffer & Sonicap upgrades) int. amps.  CD player has been Oppo BDP-83SE & Virtue Audio M1 Piano.  The N2x's REALLY shine.  Best off axis sound of any bookshelf speaker I've ever encountered.  They do need a sub though.

I told Danny that he hit a grand slam bookshelf speaker-wise w/ the N2x's.   :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #217 on: 14 Oct 2010, 03:52 pm »
N2X's landed in PA. (Oct 14)...wow!! Dynamite bookshelves..clean, involving and really more dynamic than I would have thought. I'm gonna enjoy these, will post more after some time with them. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

NeilT

« Reply #218 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:07 pm »
N2X's landed in PA. (Oct 14)...wow!! Dynamite bookshelves..clean, involving and really more dynamic than I would have thought. I'm gonna enjoy these, will post more after some time with them. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now you are gonna have to build something.
That same pair forced me to build some OB7's. :icon_lol:
Have fun,
Neil

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #219 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:59 pm »
NeilT--thats the next project-some form of N2X- but need to find the cash first, may take awhile...its all good!!! :thumb: