Re: Legato USB-SPDIF converter is ready
« Reply #60 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:08 pm »
Duly noted.

Pat

joeling39

« Reply #61 on: 8 Mar 2010, 01:35 am »
Hi Pat,

Put me on the waiting list if I'm not there already.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Audioclyde

« Reply #62 on: 8 Mar 2010, 03:24 am »
Hi Pat,

OK, I understand why the Legato has been developed for standard redbook CD 44.1; but what about some fool like me that has most of his library upsampled to 24/96 (and likes it  :o); is there any way to get a Legato with a 96kHz clock?

Thanks!

Randy

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #63 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:48 am »
Joe:

I believe you are on the waiting list, already. If not, you are added.

No 96 kHz, period. Sorry, bub. Two problems that prevent making a special unit.

1.) Getting the crystal, for the clock, to operate at that frequency. Sure, there are outfits that will make one. But not just one. Usually, they want 1000 pieces to make a special frequency. Yes, you will see catalogs, with them listed. But, that is not a frequency that you can easily get.

We have looked at some, as part of our consulting business. All the ones we were sent weren't something we would recommend to our clients. The best were only so-so. Some were dreck.

2.) Would require the firmware to be changed. Like any thing else, it can be done, but at a price.

So, no custom units.

Pat

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
« Reply #64 on: 19 Mar 2010, 08:53 pm »
Hi Pat,

I've heard some great things about this product. Congrats.

Item (1) is not as big a hurdle as might seem. I recently had 500 (min order size) crystal oscillators fabbed in China to make a custom clock for my Alpha DAC. Very tight specs. I think total cost was <$100.

Item (2) - the software - is another matter entirely.  <g>

Best,

Bob

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:26 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, we have looked into the cost of getting the 11.2896 MHz crystal, at different frequencies, from our supplier. It is substantially higher than $100. They are in the catalog, so not custom. However, good crystals do cost a bit more.

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
For those of you who want pictures.............
« Reply #66 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:02 pm »
Working on that. In the meantime, a cheap scan of the front and rear panel.

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 27 Apr 2010, 09:30 pm »
Not that most of you will care, but here is a link to the laser engraving doo-hickey that made our panels.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/fibermark_series.htm

A note for those of you who are overseas, and still waiting:

We would prefer to ship all of the US back orders, first. Mainly if there is a snafu that you won't have to pay $$$$ to send it back.

It could happen. We would rather not, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for you patience and understanding.

Yes.............pictures...........stil l working on it. All the ones I took look like I took them. Capisce?

BTW, we see that someone is selling a new USB-SPDIF doo-hickey that claims to have the lowest jitter output available. Gee, hate to disappoint them, but they don't. (Yes, we have measurements to back that up. Just don't ask us. I am too busy getting the troops inline to ship orders.)

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:44 pm »
You just had to ask.............didn't you? You guys.

Pat

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:00 pm »
Not that most of you will care, but here is a link to the laser engraving doo-hickey that made our panels.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/fibermark_series.htm

Pat

We use this exact one now...I hate it!  I much prefered the Trumpf that I used in the past.  It was 3x the cost though.  http://www.us.trumpf.com/

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:08 pm »
Seems the cost is the appeal of this model. Somehow, $50k isn't cheap in my book. Almost as much as those Wavecrest analyzers everyone seems to like.

I don't know how any of these work, but the guys who made our panels have experienced some problems. Of course, it happened while making ours! (I should have known it would happen.)

Pat

tonyptony

« Reply #71 on: 28 Apr 2010, 11:24 pm »
You just had to ask.............didn't you? You guys.

Pat

Heh heh heh. :weights:

BTW, are we thinking before or after Lone Star for me at this point? Just curious now that it sounds like the wheels are turning.

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #72 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:23 am »
After. Gives you time to prepare!

Since you brought it up......yes, one day I will post some measurements on how the various tricks we do the SB3/Duet look on the Wavecrest.

Translation to everyone else: May come up with a less expensive version.

BTW, the folks that make our expensive BNC connectors are getting much worse to deal with. The U-byte might be history, as a result. They are the only folks who make it. I know that you know who I am talking about. The outfit that took them over is becoming to RF connectors as TI is to ICs. Not bueno.

So, part of the new, less expensive mod may mean using a cheaper BNC connector. Maybe not. Depends on whether I can obtain a large quantity, from a third party. Should know by the end of the week.

Pat

tonyptony

« Reply #73 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:42 pm »
Since you brought it up......yes, one day I will post some measurements on how the various tricks we do the SB3/Duet look on the Wavecrest.

Translation to everyone else: May come up with a less expensive version.

Pat, my unit is already on the bench but I think this is a great idea.

Given how the price of the source technology is getter cheaper by the season, I think having a "you pick your bang for the buck" couple of options is a smart idea. Yes, some of us will want the absolute best you can crank out - which already is pretty fairly priced. But also offering an optimized soultion could garner a lot more enthusiasts. Having the data to back it up helps, of course. :lol:

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #74 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:57 pm »
Yes, but it does not make sense to offer both. Too many different parts to carry. (Mostly because the SB3 draws 0.83A, @ 5V.)

This really belongs in the Duet mod thread, so let's pick this up there, ok?

pat

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 18 May 2010, 08:40 pm »
Since some of you are spending more on a USB cable than you are on a Legato, we are experimenting with a special USB cable, to go with the Legato. We plan on sending out some protos to the guys who bought the $$$ cables, and we shall see what they say.

If they say  :thumb:, then we will include it with all future units.

But the price will have to go up, out of obvious necessity.

As one of them said: "Just explain that you are controlling the vertical and the horizontal."

Great. We just became SECAM fascists!

"You get no knobs, comrade. We know what is best."

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 23 May 2010, 12:58 am »
Initial reports are favorable on the proposed USB cable. One suggestion is to call it the "I-Byte". Sounds funny, but not sure we want the joke pointing in our direction!

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 16 Aug 2010, 12:34 am »
I know this will irritate folks, overseas, who are still waiting on us to clear our US back-log, and start export orders. But............

We have more than one US customer order a second unit. They have all tried the popular USB-SPDIF converters, and sent them back. Yet, bought two of ours. I guess that is a good sign.

Found a slight bug in the Channel Status block data. There is an "undocumented feature" in the TX chip. Only affects 1%, at best, of the DACs you guys may own. Problem fixed on upcoming PCBs. Just pretend that was 100% of the delay!

Pat