10/2 Romex for a DIY extension box?

JDUBS

10/2 Romex for a DIY extension box?
« on: 4 May 2009, 12:35 am »
Guys

To make a long story short, I live in an apartment and there is too much stuff on one of the circuits.  I would like to get my system off of this main line and think I can do it via long(ish) extension cord (like 30ft or so).  Romex 10/2 seems pretty cheap and I can just put a male A/C plug on one end and a 2-outlet box on the other.  From the two outlet box, I'll run one outlet to another power strip for my amps and the other outlet to my balanced power conditioner that I built for my source-related components.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks!
Jim

whubbard

Re: 10/2 Romex for a DIY extension box?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2009, 01:08 am »
Can you not just wire an outlet from the breaker?
I feel that would be the better solution...

-West

JDUBS

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2009, 01:17 am »
West, would love to, but can't really make modifications to the place given its a rental.

-Jim

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2009, 01:46 am »
Why not just do a quad outlet box on the end...that would give you four outlets, you should be able to run everything off that...no need for an additional power strip which would add two extra points of additional contacts.
What you are proposing may not look great but with careful assembly it should be safe. It will be tough terminating that solid core 10Ga. wire into a plug. Easier with stranded cable.
Maybe you can find a 10Ga. extension cord and simply replace the molded connector with a better plug.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2009, 02:19 am »
Why not just do a quad outlet box on the end...that would give you four outlets, you should be able to run everything off that...no need for an additional power strip which would add two extra points of additional contacts.
What you are proposing may not look great but with careful assembly it should be safe. It will be tough terminating that solid core 10Ga. wire into a plug. Easier with stranded cable.
Maybe you can find a 10Ga. extension cord and simply replace the molded connector with a better plug.

Thanks mjosef!  What you said got me thinking.  I have a Wiremold L10320 (the Naim recommended one) that has 9 outlets.  A quad box wouldn't give me enough outlets for my system but this should.  Maybe I can replace its input wire with a 10ga extension cord.  This would at least save me from having to use another extension cord.  I'd feel better about running 10ga vs. 12 or 14ga. just considering the distance in question.

-Jim

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2009, 02:23 am »
There you go, just rewire a longer cord to the Wiremold. Home Depot has 10Ga extension cords, $40.+  for a 50 footer.

whubbard

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2009, 03:00 am »
Just basically turn the 9 outlet box into a 30' extension cord...
10/2 Romex will work perfectly for this.

Maybe you could remove the outlet and make a wire to wire connection for this dedicated box?

-West

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2009, 03:08 am »
.... Maybe you could remove the outlet and make a wire to wire connection for this dedicated box?....

Against electrical code.

whubbard

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2009, 03:18 am »
.... Maybe you could remove the outlet and make a wire to wire connection for this dedicated box?....

Against electrical code.

Oh the things I've done against electrical code... :icon_twisted:

JDUBS

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2009, 12:13 am »
Guys, just an update.  I bought a 50' 10ga extension cord from HD.  Its actually pretty nice and really easy to work with.  I hacked off the female side an added a Wattgate male iec to it.  The actual cord length is 25' from the outlet to the PS Audio Juice Bar II I'm using.  I like the way the JB II handles electrical flow from outlet to outlet, so I went with that.  Plus, when I took the stupid Wiremold apart, I found that the wire is only 14ga....I thought I had read somewhere it was 12ga?.

Also, I measured the voltage at the wall outlet and at the outlets of the JB II and there is zero change in voltage.  I love 10ga wire.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this solution!  Thanks all for the recommendations.

-Jim

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2009, 09:44 pm »
Did you hear any difference in the sound with the new cord?