Neko Audio D100 - TONEAudio Magazine Review - Exceptional Value Award 2009

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
TONEAudio Magazine has just published their review of the Neko Audio D100, and awarded it one of their Exceptional Value Awards for 2009. aa

"...the DAC to beat for reasonably priced digital excellence."
- Jeff Dorgay, TONEAudio Magazine
Read the full review.

For more information, visit Neko Audio.

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009, 03:31 pm by NekoAudio »

EDS_

Wes,

What's the best way to feed your DAC with a USB signal from a Mac? 

Smashing review by the way.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Thanks, EDS.

There are lots of inexpensive USB -> S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) converters available. Send me a PM if you'd like a list of some in different price ranges.

But, if your Mac is relatively new, there's a good chance it also includes optical minijack support. Apple lists this as "Audio line in/optical digital audio output (minijack)" in their tech specs. In which case all you need is either an optical cable that includes minijack support (usually by popping off the normal connector at one end) or to get a minijack adapter.

Mike82

Congrats on the review and your efforts!

EDS_

Thanks, EDS.

There are lots of inexpensive USB -> S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) converters available. Send me a PM if you'd like a list of some in different price ranges.

But, if your Mac is relatively new, there's a good chance it also includes optical minijack support. Apple lists this as "Audio line in/optical digital audio output (minijack)" in their tech specs. In which case all you need is either an optical cable that includes minijack support (usually by popping off the normal connector at one end) or to get a minijack adapter.

Hi Wes,
Thanks for the response.  My MacBook has the analog/digital minijack you mentioned - my luck with optical has been poor in the past.

Ill do some research.....

Thanks again,
Ed

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Hm. I've been using the minijack on my AirPort Express without any problems for a few years now. But someone did just tell me about a problem using optical out from what I guess is the built-in sound card on his PC motherboard. He was experiencing lots of noise in the signal when outputting higher than 44.1kHz, until he opened it up and shielded the audio circuit.

Good luck with your search. :)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
I love Jeff's reviews because they are so easily read, as opposed to some lunar-type reviews which are so wordy they almost require an aspirin to get through. 

Congrats!  Transformer coupling is underutilized & underapreciated, as your DAC apparently proves.  The best preamps I've heard empoyed transformer-coupled outputs.       

NewBuyer

...Transformer coupling is underutilized & underapreciated, as your DAC apparently proves.  The best preamps I've heard empoyed transformer-coupled outputs.       

Completely agree, on both counts.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Maybe the desire to maximize profit margins is the only reason output transformers are not more commonly employed in tube designs.  Good transformers are costly.  A reliable source/designer of some of the most costly tube components extant (also troubleshooters of Intel's Pentium 4 before release) designed their own transformers.  Their rejected transformer designs were employed by a well known tube company in their most costly signature products. 

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Thanks guys, for the congrats. :)

BTW - I'll be at Cam Jam 2009 in Los Angeles at the end of May, in case any of you are interested in stopping by to check out the D100.

santacore

BTW - I'll be at Cam Jam 2009 in Los Angeles at the end of May, in case any of you are interested in stopping by to check out the D100.

I should be there. Looking forward to hearing it in person.

NewBuyer

Maybe the desire to maximize profit margins is the only reason output transformers are not more commonly employed in tube designs...

And also non-tube designs as well...