D200's + Shakti Stone = Blissful tunes

gme109

D200's + Shakti Stone = Blissful tunes
« on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:42 pm »
I've had the D200's and the Shakti Stones for quite some time now, but hadn't done much experimenting with placement. After all there aren't too many places to place the Stone. I had started with the obvious place, placing one on top of each amp. And yes they made a subtle but nice improvement. Not as dramatic as my previous amp, a Spectron Musician II, but worth the effort never the less.

So the other day I decided to try placing them under each amp. This brought about what I would consider a dramatic improvement in the sound. Suddenly everything took on a much more relaxed and analog like sound, with a blacker background unearthing new low level details. So I'm assuming that there is probably more EMI and RFI sensitive circuitry closer to the bottom of the amps, coupled with the fact that the power cord, interconnects, and speaker cable are now closer to the Shakti Stone as well. In any event the improvement is awesome, and things were sounding pretty damn good to start with.

Wondering if anyone else has experimented with using Shakti Stones on their D200's?

rockadanny

Re: D200's + Shakti Stone = Blissful tunes
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:02 pm »
Do you know what is special about these stones?
Size, shape, and/or material?
Or are they stone slabs?

Regalma

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2009, 08:38 pm »
They are RF absorbers. Presumeably designed for certain frequency ranges. Absorbers like these are used extensively in the microwave industry, my field. But they don't cost this much.

He claims if you use them on spark plug wires it will increase your horsepower. Don't know, haven't tried them.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2009, 09:11 pm »
I put my Nikon D200 on top of my amp and it improved the resolution of the sound much more than my D-70 in the same place.

whubbard

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm »
I personally enjoy my D-80 more.

I'm doing everything I hate as a facilitator with that comment.  :duh:
But it's worth the laugh...and you started it thunderbrick!  :roll: