New Samsung LED TV

Kevin Haskins

Re: New Samsung LED TV
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2009, 03:27 pm »
I checked the Pioneer Kuro and they come with 50", 60".  I like the 60"  but it is way over my budget. 

Check the Panny plasmas. Damn near as good as the Kuros and a lot less expensive.

Good suggestion Dan.

While even the newest Panny plasmas won't match the performance of the Kuro, they are supposed to be very nice.

George

I'm buying a 42" X1 for a thin flat-panel speaker project.   Price was very important to me because frankly I'm not much of a TV watcher.

My goal is a simple speaker assortment (Left, right, center & a Shiva sub) that integrate nicely with the flat panel in size and appearance yet have traditional high-end performance capability.   I'm using LM4780 amplifiers for my prototype so every monitor is active and I'm going to CNC aluminum enclosures for the speakers.    I'm also integrating a master volume control for an easy remote and I'm designing it around the Oppo Blue-Ray player that outputs 7.1 analog and does SACD, HDCD etc.....     That way I have two boxes and one simple remote.     I absolutely despise complexity.   :lol:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2009, 03:30 pm »
Aluminum enclosure?  What about ringing? :scratch:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #22 on: 7 May 2009, 03:41 pm »
Aluminum enclosure?  What about ringing? :scratch:

Aluminum is great if damped.   It is stiff, so high resonance relative to MDF and easy to damp in small enclosures.   It is expensive though, especially when you mill standard stock rather than design an extrusion.   

I'm doing this for myself so I'm not going to design and tool an extrusion for one project.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 7 May 2009, 03:43 pm »
Of course we'll need photographs Kevin.  :wink:

Bob

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #24 on: 7 May 2009, 04:11 pm »

Bob

Of what?   :lol:   

I have to get my machine going first.    I'm waiting on an attachment for a hoist to lift the mill onto the stand.    I'd like to be cutting parts but I've been building subwoofers and amplifiers and not had time to play with my precious new toy.   

I tell you what though..... I'll make some video of the machine at work once I make sure I'm not cutting vices and crashing the head into things and such.    :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 7 May 2009, 04:19 pm »

Bob

Of the CNC'd aluminum enclosures for the speakers you spoke of (once they're built of course).
But video would be even cooler!   aa

Bob

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #26 on: 7 May 2009, 04:36 pm »

Bob

Of the CNC'd aluminum enclosures for the speakers you spoke of (once they're built of course).
But video would be even cooler!   aa

Bob

Ok... I bought some of the PE RS100s because the are small and sexy.   The OD on the frame is less than 4" which was my self-imposed limitation for the size of the baffle.   Since I need nine of them for the LCR speakers, price was important too.   I'm going to use a small 3/4" Aura tweeter, and the design is going to be an active/passive 2.5 way (plus sub) with one of the RS100s acting as the sole midrange.   

GHM

« Reply #27 on: 7 May 2009, 05:02 pm »
Man I was checking out these TVs last weekend!!!! Best picture I've seen from a television period!! Congrats on the purchase. I'm eying the New 55 inch Vizio LED. For 2 grand...it will be hard 2 fault! I already own a plasma and a back light LCD..neither compare to the Samsung! I don't watch much TV, but I love movies and 360 XBOX.  :lol:

There's no doubt in my mind that LED is the future of televisions.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 7 May 2009, 05:11 pm »
Thanks Kevin. That is a sexy little driver.
Sorry for the OT.  :oops:

Bob

Levi

« Reply #29 on: 7 May 2009, 08:25 pm »
Thank you for the complement.  I can't wait to get my LED tv calibrated!   

There is always room for improvement, I am sure in 2yrs when it is time to upgrade again they will have bigger and better LED panels.

Man I was checking out these TVs last weekend!!!! Best picture I've seen from a television period!! Congrats on the purchase. I'm eying the New 55 inch Vizio LED. For 2 grand...it will be hard 2 fault! I already own a plasma and a back light LCD..neither compare to the Samsung! I don't watch much TV, but I love movies and 360 XBOX.  :lol:

There's no doubt in my mind that LED is the future of televisions.

Levi

« Reply #30 on: 8 May 2009, 01:35 am »
tvyankee helping me do a wall mount of my LED TV.

Finished wall mounted 55" LED TV.  I highly recommend Dave (tvynkee) to do your AV setup. 

The Samsung LED TV is so thin it is only 2.5" from the wall to the face of TV!  :thumb:

Thanks for looking.

--Levi

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #31 on: 8 May 2009, 02:13 am »
Sweet looking picture Levi,,,, congrates. :thumb: Quite noticable definition improvement over the plasma straight out of the box. Will you be getting a professional ISF-calibration Levi or one of them diy calibrations?

Cheers,
Robin

Jon L

« Reply #32 on: 8 May 2009, 03:00 am »
How about 55 inches ... LED tech ... and only  $1999

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10133231-100.html

I will get that Vizio when it ships in June, hopefully at Costco at even more discount.

It even has 240 Hz refresh rate and "USB input that can play back MPEG-2, H.264, WMV9 Video.."  I hope that means I can stick my USB hard drive with H.264 Blueray file and just play  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #33 on: 8 May 2009, 03:13 am »
Thanks Robin.  I have the video mode to movie settings for now.

Jon, that Vizio is the best bang for the buck.  If you get it from Cosco's; warranty is the best.

I am going to get a pro ISF calibration when I have over 100hrs on them.

Here is a picture with regular HD TV broadcast.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #34 on: 8 May 2009, 03:20 am »
I highly recommend Kevin Miller Levi,,, 5 years ago Kevin recommended to me Jim Doolittle of Boston who's done 2 calibrations on my Sony.

Cheers,
Robin

WerTicus

« Reply #35 on: 8 May 2009, 03:21 am »
that's an actual image not a photo shopped image on top of the tv?  that's amazingly bright and contrasty.

Levi

« Reply #36 on: 8 May 2009, 03:35 am »
I planned to use either Kevin or Chad for an ISF calibration.  Kevin lives near me and tvyankee said he is good.     

Wer, yeah that is an actual image and not photo chopped. ;) It looks like it has dept.  Freaky!

SET Man

« Reply #37 on: 8 May 2009, 04:54 am »
Finished wall mounted 55" LED TV.  I highly recommend Dave (tvynkee) to do your AV setup. 

--Levi

Hey!

Somehow this picture reminds me of "The Price Is Right" game show when the model is presenting the prize, except that those models on The Price Is Right are much prettier than Dave. :jester:

Anyway, congratulation on your new TV Levi. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #38 on: 8 May 2009, 05:04 am »
Hey Buddy.  Yeah Dave is showing his flat panel installation.  This is how it should be done nice, clean and no wires exposed.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #39 on: 8 May 2009, 05:09 am »
Very nice Levi.....enjoy the show !! :beer: