A new Open Baffle project (lots and lots of pretty pictures)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: A new Open Baffle project (lots and lots of pretty pictures)
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2009, 09:10 pm »
Yea, I had intended to have a little more curve to the corners. Not sure if I was going as wide as a 3/4", but definitely more than what I have now. It's not "sharp" per se, just a gentle pass with a belt sander is all.
My router died with a couple inches to go on the last baffle while I was doing the "nest" for the Augie is why I stopped where I did.

There's soooo much more I had planned for these, but now it'll be later down the road.
One of these days I'll start the project back up again and finish them like I envision.

Bob

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2009, 12:47 am »
I had to mount the SqueezeBox and hook the power cable to see what it looks like.
There's no sound yet but, damn......that's just cool.  aa

Words cannot express.... :notworthy: :notworthy: :thumb: The location of the SB3 is just genious I tell you :D

Anand.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 29 Apr 2009, 12:53 am »
Thanks Anand!
Imagine if I had a Transporter.  aa :icon_twisted: aa :icon_twisted: aa

You know, I actually find myself mesmerized by the swinging needles. But the SB3 was "way" on the left side of my room.
After extended listen sessions I found my neck hurt. Unlike most guys that have their audio stuff at "12:00", I'm not so fortunate.
So, this was the solution to my little problem.  :rotflmao:
Plus, I like to be a little different anyway.  :wink:
Thank you for the complement Anand.

Bob

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:49 am »
Those are beautiful..... :drool: :drool: :thumb: :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:16 pm »
Coming from a guy that makes some pretty beautiful speakers himself, that means quite a bit.
Thanks Perry!  :thumb:

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2009, 06:48 am »
I'm just trying to figure how the bass drivers are being fed. Is it the LF signal from the receiver, or are there plate amps feeding off the left and right speaker signals?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2009, 01:01 pm »
Hey John,

Here's how the HawthorneAudio drivers are being run in the system:

The 15" Augie circuit is:
- Harman Kardon AVR 645 [sub-out] to...
- Behringer DCX2496 to...
- Plate amp (single 240watt amp running mono)

The 15" Coaxial circuit is:
- Harman Kardon AVR 645 right and left [pre-out] to...
- Jolida 202a tube amp (40 wpc)

The quad 15" Augies in Infinite Baffle is:
- Harman Kardon AVR 645 [sub-out] to...
- Behringer DCX2496 to...
- Legion Sound 800 watt (bridged mono)

That's the way thing stand as of now. But soon, the compression tweeter will have it's very own amp (good friend loaned me an Adcom 535) making the speakers tri-amped.  aa

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2009, 03:06 am »
I didn't realize you had an IB as well  :o So the Augies have the same signal as the IB? Why would they not come off the L+R signals?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2009, 03:39 am »
Yea, there's an IB.  :rock:

No, the Augies don't get quite the same signal as the IB. The Behringer takes care of that.
The content that comes out of the H/K AVR [sub-out] all goes to the Behringer DCX2496.
At that point, the twin Augies in OB get content that's 40Hz to 80Hz. (most of the "bass" as far as music is concerned).
The four Augies in IB get content from 40Hz down to their natural roll off.
No EQing is done anywhere, the DCX only does crossover duties and speaker (driver) selection for what I'm wanting to hear.

The plate amp is a mono output only. If I had a second plate amp, I would run the OB Augies Stereo (my ultimate dream).

Here's the future:
The DCX has six output channels.
Two of the channels will be for the coaxial compression tweeters
Two of the channels will be for the coaxial mid-woofer
One channel will be for the mono OB Augies
One channel will be for the mono IB Augies.

I'm pretty close to that, just not quite there yet (notice there's not enough channels to have the OB Augies in stereo)  :(

The nice thing about the DCX being remotely controlled by my PC (sitting at "second row, center seat") is that I can control "who get's what". So I can make the coaxials run down to 50Hz and the OB Augies run down to whatever they can, and have the IB turned off.
Or....I can be silly with it and boost the gain to the IB Augies by 10dB and run it up to 100Hz to meet the coaxials and leave the OB Augies off.
Or...whatever combination of gain, crossover setting and mixture of drivers you want depending on your mood or the content being played (light jazz at a reasonable volume or "War of the Worlds" with content <5Hz@100+dB).
All of my 'moods' are labeled and saved as files in the Behringer folder on my PC that allow me to switch between them using no more than four mouse clicks.

But yea....I've got an IB.  aa
The throat of the IB is in the center of the cabinetry immediately below the home theater screen.
Here's a couple photos from the gallery in my signature:

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2009, 10:17 am »
Oh, OK, I got it :)

What do you see as the pros/cons of open baffle for center channel? You don't see them very much... or am I just out of touch  :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2009, 02:29 pm »
I've not found any cons to an OB center channel.
Actually, they say for an accurate front sound stage the left, center and right drivers should be of the same manufacturer and same alignment. The pros are everything you'd come to expect out of OB. I listen to very little multichannel music, but the OB center give movie dialog a nice realistic depth and feel to it. There's a few guys running OB centers. But looking at an organizational tree with Audiophiles at the top, Open Baffle next, and Home Theater below that, and then having it all in the same room is a niche in a niche, in a niche. So there's not a lot of us.  :lol:

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2009, 02:59 am »
I notice you have OB surrounds using the 10" drivers. A niche within a... :) Do you think these were worth it? If you had your druthers would you go with identical or more similar speakers for the surrounds as well?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2009, 03:25 am »
The 10" rear surrounds are the same coaxial design (and brand) as the bigger 15" brothers in the front of the room.
Given it to do all over again, I'd buy the same drivers but would have a different shape for the baffle.
The idea was kicked around to use this driver in a sonotube type alignment, however the driver would be on top, pointing up in an omni/radial fashion. Complete with one of the 360 degree "funnels" on top to help disperse the sound, enveloping the listener from behind. The tube could even be stuffed to get as close to I.B. as possible.

An I.B. coaxial in omni alignment for rear surround duty.  aa

I lack the space on the rear wall to have something 12" in diameter sitting on the floor. However, that probably wouldn't stop me from trying it some day. Just because it feels like a worthwhile project.

Bob