<pokes head in, looks around>

Rocket

phonostage acquisitions
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2003, 12:12 pm »
Hi,

I haven't read the stereophile review of the perreaux sxv-1 at this stage.  i'm sure there are much better phonostages available, at the price of the sxv-1 if there was a better product i'm not sure if it would be that much better, but who knows.

I compared my perreaux sxv-1 with a musical fidelity xlps and i thought they were comparable sonically.  they are both similiar in pricing.

If you want an entry level phonostage a nad pp1 is okay for the dollars.  Like i said previously i had a pp1 and compared it to my very old cambridge audio integrated amp and it didn't sound very good imho.  

there is nothing wrong with the rest of my system.

best wishes

rocket

michael w

« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2003, 06:37 am »
Maybe nothing physically broken but some gross incompatibility between your system and the NADs.

Your comments that they sounded terrible is at odds with others who have used the NADs.

cheerio

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2003, 12:03 pm »
michael,
that's kinda nasty talkin' about Rocket's NAD's!!   :D  'Specially when saying his NAD's are incompatible. I had a former girlfriend who said my nad's were incompatible and my 'nads had to GO.

michael w

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2003, 12:36 pm »
LMAO !!!

:lol:

NADz  maroon

:P

Tonto Yoder

Re: phonostage acquisitions
« Reply #24 on: 23 Dec 2003, 02:29 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi,

I haven't read the stereophile review of the perreaux sxv-1 at this stage.  i'm sure there are much better phonostages available, at the price of the sxv-1 if there was a better product i'm not sure if it would be that much better, but who knows.

As I mentioned in e-mail, Michael Fremer's mini-review was a mixed bag, but keep in mind that he's used to some awfully good phono stages (with accordingly high prices).  He DOES call it "an ideal entry-level phono preamp" if it's matched with a warmish cartridge like a Grado Platinum ($300US).  Maybe even one of the lesser Grados would be a good match somewhere down the line?? Or Van Alstine's Longhorn??--
http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/other_equipment/cartridge.htm

Rocket

phonostages
« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2003, 07:59 am »
Hi Tonto Yoder,

Thankx for all the information you have provided to me.

I have checked out the link to ava and i am wondering if you have ever heard this cartridge or if any others have heard it.

It certainly is in the affordable price range which i would like to pay.  i have a budget of $300au/$200us.

regards

rocket