Gain

PLMONROE

Gain
« on: 19 Apr 2009, 08:10 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I have a problem. I can't seem to bring myself to part with my 70s long enough to send them to you for upgrading to 70.2s! Ok, Ok one of these days, I promise.

For right now I need to know what is the gain of my 70s at full power into 4 ohm and 8 ohm loads, please. I am actively biamping my speakers with a humongous 500 watt ss on the bottom and the 70s on the top and I need this data to balance things out. Thanks.

Paul

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Gain
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009, 03:09 am »
Hi Paul,

The gain of the amp is the same no matter if you are powering a 4-ohm speaker or 8-ohm speaker.  For the Signature 70s (with built-in volume control), I believe it is 30dB.

With the Signature 70.2 (these do not have built-in volume controls), the gain is normally set to 24dB.  However, for those using a passive preamp, we have offered customization of the gain to 30dB.  We can even customize the gain of your Sig 70s if needed...

I am actively biamping my speakers with a humongous 500 watt ss on the bottom and the 70s on the top and I need this data to balance things out. Thanks.

What is the gain of your 500 watt amp?  If it is lower than 30dB, you can use the built-in volume attenutors in your Sig 70s to effectively lower the gain of the Sig 70s so they closely match that of your 500 watt amp.  You can even make it so the gain of the Sig 70s is a little lower (if you want less top-end) or higher (if you want more top-end) to best fit your speakers, room, etc.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best regards,

Vinnie

PLMONROE

Re: Gain
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2009, 12:44 pm »
COOL!  :thumb:
Thanks Vinnie.

Paul