Sand for the VR-4jr Bass Module

DARTH AUDIO

Sand for the VR-4jr Bass Module
« on: 18 Apr 2009, 07:00 pm »
What kind of sand is used to fill the bass module of the VR-4jr? What stores carry the sand?

Thanks,

Gary

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Sand for the VR-4jr Bass Module
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2009, 07:26 pm »
Not sure about the sand but I'm thinking lead shot is more commonly used.  You might try China as they seem to have an abundance of it :lol:

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
I used lead shot which is available in gun shops, call the shop before driving across town because people are stocking up.

Sand is available in any big box home remodel store like Home Depot, look for play sand.
Building supply or lumber yards also carry bags of silica sand which is finer then play sand so probably it is denser.

Since I had left over silica sand after setting brick pavers, the sand went into the cavity along with the lead shot.

Wayne

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2009, 08:32 am »
Dear Gary,

Don't use sand in your VR 4 jr bassmodule.
The best you can use is lead shot. Can be found in diveshops too.
The little lead shot is 1, heavy and 2, the little balls are eliminating resonances.

Good luck.

Cor

VSA_JOE

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2009, 05:47 pm »
Don't use sand by itself, you can use what we call a bladder bag, which is just a bag shoved into the lead chamber, then the sand would be filled into that bag and closed, that way there will be no mess.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2009, 07:21 pm »
..and keep any sand away from your vaseline :lol:

audiogarry

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2009, 09:18 pm »
The last time I was at Gander Mountain which is an outdoor recreational store, they had some large copper colored (steel I think) shot available that looked like it would work very nicely. I transferred the lead shot from my VR-2's to my VR-4 Jr's about 3 months ago and the wife was not happy.  :evil: I thought I didn't think spilled too much but when I ran the vacuum over the rug you could tell how much didn't make it into the VR4 Jr's.  :o

NB_Dude

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2009, 01:15 am »
My VR4jr came with sand in them as they were a demo of my dealer and he had put it in himself.  If I read this correctly, I should be removing the sand and placing lead shot in it instead ? I doubt he used a blatter and I probably wouldn't be able to get every grain out...

PS- what size lead shot is reccomended, i found a supplier on the web that will ship to Canada if can't find it locally)

many many thanks for any insight,

Paul