outstanding Classical Music on CD or LP?

Art_Chicago

outstanding Classical Music on CD or LP?
« on: 18 Apr 2009, 01:05 am »
Hi, all!
I am just curious if there is an interest in putting together a list of "outstanding classical CDs/LPs"?
While I enjoy rock and jazz, I'd like to start a list for the classical music that was performed and recorded well. Also, just looking at "50 great and great sounding classical albums..." from TAS #187, I am somewhat puzzled why there are 4 records of Bela Bartok, and only 2 by Bach and Mozart (each), 1 by Beethoven and 0 by Vivaldi.  In any case, I do not mean to stick only to a certain period or a style. Both performance and sound quality should be great!
Please respond and maybe we can come up with a nice list!

aa
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2009, 02:08 am by Art_Chicago »

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: outstanding Classical Music on CD or LP?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2009, 02:44 am »
My 2 classical favorites both sonically and performance wise.

Leila Josefowicz plays Tchaikovsky & Sibelius Violin Concertos with Sir Neville Marriner (Conductor) & Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
 http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Violin-Concerto-D-Sibelius/dp/B0000041BQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232910259&sr=8-5
A Window in Time: Rachmaninoff Performs His Solo Piano Works
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Time-Rachmaninoff-Performs-Piano/dp/B000009RCS

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:20 am »
Telarc. Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis (Vaughn Williams?)

Lyrita.  Ancient Aires and Dances

Sheffield.  Wagner's Forest Murmers

Reference Recordings.  Church Windows (Resphigi)

Beethoven's Pastoral Symhony

Dvorak's Ma Vlast, especially The Moldau.  If you want see a painting of the life cycle of a major river coming out of your speakers, this is it.  A revelation when I first heard it in Music Appreciation 101

And if you can find a mint original LP. Reiner's Shaded Dog RCA of Sheherazade.  Lovely music with luscious strings.

If I misspelled anything or got the composers wrong, it is very late, I am exhausted, and my music collection is all in boxes right now.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2009, 05:20 am »
You might take a look at the list posted by AC member Tyson.... :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=57156.0

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:38 pm »
Thanks a lot, everybody, it is a good start.
You might take a look at the list posted by AC member Tyson.... :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=57156.0

will take some time for me to go thru it, the list is quite extensive :thumb: Hope we can keep it updated.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2009, 02:23 am »
Bach's choir repertoire should get more attention, and there are two modern conductors that are a must have, IMO.
Philippe Herreweghe and Collegium Vocale on Harmonia Mundi - J.S. Bach-Magnificat 1990 and
 J.S Bach- Oster-Oratorium 1995.
The latter is nearly perfect in terms of sound quality.
Do not have Herreweghes' St Mathew Passion and Mass in B minor yet, but they should be worth buying.

Ton Koopman and Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra and Choir-- complete cantatas on Erato. I own Vol 5, and it sounds great. Koopman has recordered a lot of Bach's work; his interpretation and the sonics are praised internationally. All of them are worth it, IMO.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2009, 04:19 am »

If you enjoy piano concertos I'd recommend - Chopin, The Four Ballades/Sonata No.2 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 35. Emmanuel Ax, pianst, on RCA Red Seal. An '86 release made in Japan that has outstanding fidelity.

And the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread was Tyson's listing which lonewolf noted.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2009, 12:57 am »

If you enjoy piano concertos I'd recommend - Chopin, The Four Ballades/Sonata No.2 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 35. Emmanuel Ax, pianst, on RCA Red Seal. An '86 release made in Japan that has outstanding fidelity.

And the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread was Tyson's listing which lonewolf noted.

ArthurDent,

Thanks for Chopin's music  :thumb: As for Tyson's list, I joined the AC in a few months after the last post on his thread.  And I was ignorant to search for "classical" thread  :oops:
However, I should say that there is no "final" reference list for music.
As I mentioned above, the list was pretty shy on vocal/choral music, and I cannot stop buying it as it sounds divine through the SongTowers.

I have a quite few gems not mentioned previously; these 4 CD's were recorded by Musica Numeris studio (by Nicholas Barthomelee and/or Nicholas de Beco) for Alia Vox, Virgin and Harmonia Mundi.

Haendel Water Music/Fireworks Jordi Savall/Le Concert des Nations AliaVox (best version for my ears)
Vivaldi La Viola de Gamba in Concerto Jordi Savall/Le Concert des Nations AliaVox
(both recommended by BrianM  :thumb:)
Vivaldi Concerti per mandolini Biondi/Europa Galante Virgin Veritas
Heinrich Shutz Sacred Choral Music Herreweghe/Colegium Vocale

I also enjoy Corelli's opus 6, 12 concerti, by Pinnock/English Concert. I do not know if LP sounded better, but the CD lacks final clarity and dynamics, IMO. I wish it was re-recorded now. Any recommendations on Corelli will be appreciated. Thanks.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2009, 07:49 am »
I stopped by a Borders bookstore this evening....their running a red tag clearance on many Cd's (in store only)...now at 50% off. It's worth checking out....Classical and other music. :wink: