Are there really folks that prefer CD's sonically?

TONEPUB

Re: Are there really folks that prefer CD's sonically?
« Reply #80 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:57 pm »
Having a great CD player and a great turntable, it depends on the mastering...
I've heard better presentation on both, just depends on the recording.

Alonski

« Reply #81 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:26 pm »
I agree with Jeff... it completely depends on the recording and mastering. However, in my experience, if the recording is superb and your system is revealing, it always sounds far better and more musical on vinyl.

Due to a tremor in my hands, I have more reason than most to gripe about the "inconvenience" of analog. The tools of our obsession -- record cleaning machines, splshing fluids, brushes, heavy disk stabilizers, anti-static guns, even the manual tonearm lifter can be challenging... but to my ears, so very worth it. Nothing makes me smile like putting stylus to groove and having Miles Davis show up in my living room.

Alón

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #82 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:46 pm »
Okay gents - let's just call computer audio a much misunderstood sub-section of high fidelity - due to whatever reason.

Bob, please don't explain it further :(  :wink: I got me a handful with the current explanation(s) at hand.

John

Well John, now you know why I apologised early on for talking about computer audio in the Vinyl Circle. aa

Browntrout, if you're ever around Vermont you're more than welcome to stop in and listen to my " somewhat" silent HTPC computer audio source that sits on top of my 6' rack and judge for yourself as to the quality. I'd cherish the opportunity personally. :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin

toobluvr

« Reply #83 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:36 pm »

If you investigate this thread it's not difficult finding various posts describing the rapture they've experienced while listening to their Modwright Transporters. You'll find similar expressions of ecstasy in the Empirical Audio circle.   

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56360.msg617985;topicseen#new
-Roy

Over the years there have been many pieces of gear that have been described this way by either pro reviewers and / or actual owners.

I have owned some of this gear and never experienced either the ecstacy nor the rapture referred to above.  Oftentimes it is simply "flavor the the month" stuff being hyped by the "fan boys".  The fervor dies down and the gear fades into obscurity.

Not saying this particular piece of gear falls into that category, or that it is not very good.  Just saying that descriptions of orgasmic delight are kindof strong, and sometimes found to be more hyperbole than accurate, so they don't hold much sway with me.

Kirk57

« Reply #84 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:40 pm »
toobluvr-

Completely OT, but noticed your avatar...is that a real photo?
Man, that is a big shark!

Kirk

mcgsxr

« Reply #85 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:43 pm »
I guess I prefer CD's sonically - I don't own anything else (assuming you consider PC front end to be CD).

I used to spin vinyl as a DJ, but at present have a 1 source system, and that is all FLAC via Bolder SB3.

Sounds good to me!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #86 on: 13 Apr 2009, 07:35 pm »

If you investigate this thread it's not difficult finding various posts describing the rapture they've experienced while listening to their Modwright Transporters. You'll find similar expressions of ecstasy in the Empirical Audio circle.   

-Roy

Over the years there have been many pieces of gear that have been described this way by either pro reviewers and / or actual owners.

I have owned some of this gear and never experienced either the ecstacy nor the rapture referred to above.  Oftentimes it is simply "flavor the the month" stuff being hyped by the "fan boys".  The fervor dies down and the gear fades into obscurity.

Not saying this particular piece of gear falls into that category, or that it is not very good.  Just saying that descriptions of orgasmic delight are kindof strong, and sometimes found to be more hyperbole than accurate, so they don't hold much sway with me.

What does hold sway with you?

toobluvr

« Reply #87 on: 13 Apr 2009, 07:45 pm »

-Roy

What does hold sway with you?

Hearing it for myself.
Certainly not over the top descriptions.  Seen it too many times.  Many times from guys who a month later have moved on to a different piece of gear, and are describing it the same way.  And a month later, it is something else again.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #88 on: 13 Apr 2009, 07:56 pm »
toob,

So, from your point of view,  there's no point in reading reviews on this forum to get info that would help with a prospective purchase. How do you determine what you buy if not from surveying opinions on forums? Have you ever purchased gear without first auditioning it? I know that many small audio outfits allow a return policy but it's still a big hassle to haphazardly audition a variety of gear let alone shipping costs.

-Roy

toobluvr

« Reply #89 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:06 pm »
toob,

So, from your point of view,  there's no point in reading reviews on this forum to get info that would help with a prospective purchase. How do you determine what you buy if not from surveying opinions on forums? Have you ever purchased gear without first auditioning it? I know that many small audio outfits allow a return policy but it's still a big hassle to haphazardly audition a variety of gear let alone shipping costs.

-Roy

Oh...I use pro and owner reviews all the time.  But just to help me assemble a short list.  I just meant that I am not hugely influenced by ga-ga and over the top descriptions of the latest and greatest.  A very strong consensus over a period of time has a greater influence on me.

And I do buy gear unheard all the time...almost exclusively.  If something interests me, I just buy it and try it out in my system.  Buy it at a good price and there is very little risk of loss on resale if it doesn't work.

I guess I was just venting a little bit at the whole Pied Piper and fan boy mentality that I see a lot of on here. 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #90 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:24 pm »
That's exactly how I use reviews....are you really me, trubluvr? aa :icon_lol:

I like using AudioReview.com myself (tho it seems like less reviews there over time) or, if it's widely available commercial item at Amazon.com (the review of an item).  It gives you a good cross-section of references to draw from in assessing a unit - sound unheard :|

They almost always ferret out the gear that tends to be defective or some ergonomic issues.

John

Oh...I use pro and owner reviews all the time.  But just to help me assemble a short list.  I just meant that I am not hugely influenced by ga-ga and over the top descriptions of the latest and greatest.  A very strong consensus over a period of time has a greater influence on me.

And I do buy gear unheard all the time...almost exclusively.  If something interests me, I just buy it and try it out in my system.  Buy it at a good price and there is very little risk of loss on resale if it doesn't work.

I guess I was just venting a little bit at the whole Pied Piper and fan boy mentality that I see a lot of on here. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #91 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:26 pm »
toob,

-Roy

OK, you and I agree. :thumb: I purchase gear using similar methods. Yes, there are fanboys on almost all of the Manufactures forums. It's a treacherous audio jungle out there. :evil: One must be the shrewd buyer or get eaten alive.  :wink: :lol:

Whoops... we're getting WAY off topic.

toobluvr

« Reply #92 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:39 pm »

Yes Siree Mr. Chair guy!  I use the same sources.

I tend to pay more attention to tons of comments over a period of time from actual owners and users.  I also look at the rest of their systems and previously owned gear to get an insight into their "ears" and preferences / priorities.  From this, I am usually pretty good at figuring out if it is "for me" or not.   Much more helpful than pro reviews.

I do read audio boards but tend to be cynical and mistrusting of hyperbole and excessive excitement about the "latest and greatest".  I've seen too much blather like that over the years on gear that ultimately just isn't good enough to have any staying power.   

:roll:

If something withstands the test of time, there probably is something of note there.  Ultimately, the test of time separates the wheat from the chaff, and will get my attention.

Otherwise I just shrug my shoulders and say.....we'll see.

:dunno:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #93 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:49 pm »
toobluvr...
Oftentimes it is simply "flavor the the month" stuff being hyped by the "fan boys".

Yeah....can't trust those "Fanboys"...their a motley crew John.... :jester:

toobluvr

« Reply #94 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:58 pm »
toobluvr...
Oftentimes it is simply "flavor the the month" stuff being hyped by the "fan boys".

Yeah....can't trust those "Fanboys"...their a motley crew John.... :jester:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Any top 20 hits?

JoshK

« Reply #95 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:18 pm »
Ultimately, vinyl appeals to my aesthetics, but most of my music collection is issued on CD only (post '90).  New issue LPs tend to cost 50% more than CDs mitigating any cost benefits.   Also, LPs make it hard to add music to portable players unless they come with the CD or mp3 downloads.

mjosef

« Reply #96 on: 14 Apr 2009, 03:39 am »
One HUGE thing that should be noted is that Vinyl is an experience best enjoyed in smaller rooms.  It doesn't have the dynamic range (no matter how we try to bend reality with new cartridge or table it cannot be changed) and doesn't 'charge' the room as digital technologies do.

:lol: Sorry Chair Guy, but I don't agree with that statement...I have been to enough parties in the 70's and early 80's in very large spaces, some of them outside spaces, and felt the pounding basslines and piercing horn-blasts to dislodge loose fillings...this at a time when vinyl ruled the Land.
I dare say it may be the undersized speakers or power amps that fails to 'charge' the larger spaces, not the source.

As for the CD vs LP bonger, imo there are many cds that equal or surpass their LP counterparts, and many that don't. CDs got their appeal, just like vinyl does...pick your poison.
Of course, since I grew up with vinyl, it will always have a special place in my emotional disposition. But faced with the current option at the counter, cd or vinyl, I most likely will buy the cd.  aa

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #97 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:12 am »
Well mastered CD's as well as SACD's certainly are a step up over the vast majority of poor sounding CD's out there, but vinyl still rules from a purely "real" sounding standpoint.

mjosef

« Reply #98 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:15 am »
Like Morpheus said in the Matrix..."what is real? Do you think that is air you are breathing right now"   aa

TONEPUB

« Reply #99 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:47 am »
I agree with Jeff... it completely depends on the recording and mastering. However, in my experience, if the recording is superb and your system is revealing, it always sounds far better and more musical on vinyl.

Alón

My system is incredibly revealing.  I just managed to buy a really good cd player.  I'm pretty much of the mind that exceptionally well recorded vinyl sounds a click or two better, but most times the CD is just as good.  Certainly good enough that I don't want to bother with vinyl anymore unless it's really amazing.