TP Wired or Wireless

funkmonkey

Re: TP Wired or Wireless
« Reply #40 on: 26 Oct 2009, 03:19 am »
jwes-

have you tried the squeezebox forums?  way back when I got my TP I found some help there, just by searching other threads.  Wish I could help you myself, but maybe someone there can.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/

jwes

« Reply #41 on: 26 Oct 2009, 03:33 am »
jwes-

have you tried the squeezebox forums?  way back when I got my TP I found some help there, just by searching other threads.  Wish I could help you myself, but maybe someone there can.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Thanks - headed there now

AB

« Reply #42 on: 26 Oct 2009, 03:39 am »
You are trying to create a Wireless Distribution System. I did a quick Google of "Wireless Distribution System Airport Express" and looked at a few links.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/12/14/how-to-setup-wds-between-a-wireless-router-and-an-airport-expres/

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/03/taming-an-airport-express-wds.html

Maybe you can find the info you need from here. Maybe? :scratch:

I plan on doing the same thing at some point but not with the Airport Express.

mikel51

« Reply #43 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:02 am »
I haven't looked at an airport express for a couple of years, but if I remember correctly, the ethernet connector is mostly used for incoming connection to the wide area network.

If you can set it to work the opposite way...to serve music from the wireless network to the transporter, then you have to figure out how to get the correct IP addresses...you need the IP address of the server and the IP address of the transporter---you may have to enter them manually during network setup.

lcrim

« Reply #44 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:13 am »
jwes:
Try thinking of the wired network as a hub and spoke arrangement.  The wireless router has ports on it for ethernet cables. (The Yankees just won the pennant!)  That router has a cable that connects it to your ISP, that could be a cable modem or a DSL device.  All the other cables lead to the devices, PC's or TP or whatever.  That wireless router also connects to your wireless devices.  So that is your hub. 
Try that and let us know.

jwes

« Reply #45 on: 26 Oct 2009, 02:04 pm »
OK, thanks guys, success!   :thumb:

Didn't change the configuration, but rather how the new Airport Express was how introduced.  What remains the same:  Internet provider ethernet to Airport Extreme wireless base station; wireless to new Airport Express; ethernet from new AE to Transporter; computer with Squeezebox server wireless to network set up by Airport Extreme and Airport Express.

What's different and now working:  I now set it up as a WDS, but luckily using the much easier path because both devices are wireless N.  From the perspective of the Mac/Airport network, this is manifested in changing how the Airport Express was introduced.  At first it was "join wireless network".  This didn't work.  The new approach was to go first to the Airport Extreme base station and check "make network extendable".  Once that was done, I went to the Airport Express and selected wireless mode was "extend wireless network", rather than "join network" as before.  That's it.

The first indication this worked was that when the TP was still operating wirelessly, the signal strength jumped from the 70's to 100%.  So it was clear that the network was "extended" and it got it's signal from the new Airport Express plugged in right behind it.  Then I plugged in the ethernet from new AE to TP, had to reboot the computer, and set up the TP as an ethernet network.  No problems.  Everything works.  Also, I checked "info" on the settings window, and there is no longer an indication of "wireless signal strength", just to reconfirm that it is using ethernet.  Also, now I'm able to take off the antennae.

Thanks everyone!

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #46 on: 7 Dec 2009, 09:23 pm »
Installed a Linksys WET610N wireless hub to feed my SB3 via ethernet cable and relieve it from its internal WiFi duties. As expected a nice improvement with improved depth, tighter imaging, less grunge, etc... This may be a nice trick for Transport or soon to be Touch users that want to send uncompressed 24/96 files wirelessly. If you have a wireless-N router this could easily solve dropout/hiccup problems. If you are considering purchasing one look at the matching WRT610N. Got the WET610N as a refurb for $55 at the Linksys website. Set-up took less than 5 minutes. Of course, I took it another step and am now powering it with one of my battery supplies--the soundstage seemed to drop back another 10 feet with a lowered noise floor--very cool stuff.
Chris H.

AB

« Reply #47 on: 7 Dec 2009, 10:01 pm »
Cool stuff indeed.  :thumb:

Are you able to stream 24/96 wirelessly without dropouts or rebuffering? Seems so but I need to be sure.  :wink:

Which router are you using? I assume the WRT610N. Correct?

Any problems with the new bridge rebooting too often? I've read there is/was a problem with the WET610N and this.

At the moment I have a WRT400N but have a 610 sitting in its box. The bridge at $55 would be a no brainer. Which is perfect for me...

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #48 on: 7 Dec 2009, 10:47 pm »
Not yet--still doin' the "G" thing. A WRT610N is on my Christmas list.  :xmas:
Chris H.

AB

« Reply #49 on: 7 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm »
Not yet--still doin' the "G" thing. A WRT610N is on my Christmas list.  :xmas:
Chris H.

Curses!

When's Christmas again? Soon?  :?

Wireless G and 24bit here results in rebuffering about every 20 seconds. I would really like to do it wirelessly.

Has anyone succeeded in streaming hi rez wirelessly?

I guess for $55 more I can find out.  :duh:

AB

« Reply #50 on: 9 Dec 2009, 12:02 am »
Here's something interesting; I am running my TP from a new server, an HP Mediasmart EX495. Previously I was running SC from my Windows XP machine.

With the Windows XP box I couldn't wirelessly stream 24/96 or + files without lots of rebuffering. Basically it wouldn't work. But with this new box 24/96 and + files stream fine.

The HP is running version 7.4.1 of SC and sox is chosen as the stream option for wav files in "File Types".

I've played both 24/196 ( sox downsampled ) wav files and 24/196 flac files ( downsampled again) and both play without rebuffering.

I am wondering if I am actually getting a VERY downsampled (not 24bit) stream from sox. Any ideas? Is there a way to see the bit rate the TP is receiving?

Could it be the HP with its 2.5 gHz dual processor and 2 gig of RAM works while my XP machine didn't because of processing power improvements rather than wireless bandwidth limits?

lcrim

« Reply #51 on: 9 Dec 2009, 12:57 am »
The improvements in sound quality in this thread were achieved by turning off the wireless card. The absence of power to that card and whatever electrical noise it was generating probably accounts for the sound improvement.
By using the wireless card you are essentially ignoring the point of this thread.

AB

« Reply #52 on: 9 Dec 2009, 01:34 am »

If I can stream hi rez files wirelessly then I can use a WAP/bridge to shut off the TP in board radio.

If I can't stream hi rez wirelessly then I will be forced to stream via wire.

It appears I can stream hi rez wirelessly. Or maybe not?

That's my issue and concern.

Audioclyde

« Reply #53 on: 12 Dec 2009, 08:26 pm »
I tinkered with my setup, essentially configuring like jwes--Apple wireless network, with AE in music room, music files & Sqeezebox software on Mac Mini in  music room, with ethernet from AE to MW Transporter (previously I used the Transporter in bridge to wireless mode and had it connected by ethernet to the Mac Mini).  I thought there was slight improvement, but started having frequent rebuffering (especially with 24/96 files).

So I hooked the Transporter back to the Mac Mini via ethernet and this time had the MW Transporter 'join' the ethernet network (i.e. had to manually input the various addresses in Trsptr setup).  I hear a definite increase in SQ (compared to my original setup), and of course no rebuffering issues this way.  I have given up the internet radio capability, but frankly I seldom used it and didn't find many stations with sufficient SQ to enjoy very much.

Randy