Help! Hard drive full.

Len_Dreyer

Re: Help! Hard drive full.
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2009, 01:48 am »
Robin,

Make sure you know what type of drives your 750GB drives are: ATA or SATA. The drive enclosure I posted is SATA. You want all three to be the same.

Len

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2009, 01:53 am »
Would this 1.5T Seagate be what I'm looking for as a simple ( :duh: ) internal hard drive switch? If so, how "simple" is "simple"... really?

Cheers,
Robin

Depends...is your current HD a SATA drive?

If it is, it is as simple as swapping out the old one, installing the new one, running a diagnostic tool to recognize and format the drive, and reboot.  You can than copy over your music files from your external drive that you use for backup.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2009, 02:03 am »
Would this 1.5T Seagate be what I'm looking for as a simple ( :duh: ) internal hard drive switch? If so, how "simple" is "simple"... really?

Cheers,
Robin

Depends...is your current HD a SATA drive?

If it is, it is as simple as swapping out the old one, installing the new one, running a diagnostic tool to recognize and format the drive, and reboot.  You can than copy over your music files from your external drive that you use for backup.

George

I don't have a clue George & Len other than I have two 750G Seagates, 1 internally and the other in an exterior hard drive,,, all setup by Cellar Cinemas. How could I possibly find out if they're both SATA? I will say that the 2nd exterior hard drive has a 40G Seagate that use to be my primary drive. When I upgraded the 160g secondary to a 750G, Cellar Cinemas used the 160G as my primary and slipped the 40G HD into one of his exterior casings. Does that all sound like SATA,,,, if nothing else it would seem all the hard drives are the same.

Cheers,
Robin

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2009, 02:11 am »
Robin,

Use this page to help identify what type of drive you have. The connectors are different.

Len

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2009, 02:33 am »
Robin,

I'm thinking you probably have the older ATA drives (I'll be confronted with the same upgrade problem very soon). Here is an adapter that will let you use the Seagate SATA 1.5TB drive if you have an ATA motherboard. I have a call into a very knowledgeable friend to see if he has any specific recommendations and I will pass them along.

Len

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2009, 02:54 am »
Len, it looks like I'm using SATA afterall. I went to Device Manager and found Seagate ST3160023AS & ST3750640AS, googled them and they're both SATA. I'll need to open up the HTPC and figure out which hard drive is which but if it's as easy as George says it is, this should be a pretty sweet upgrade that will keep my library growing,,,, til I can either find another job or until my 401K dries up. :duh: Thanks for all the good advice guys. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2009, 03:08 am »
Robin,

Looks good but your first drive listed is a 160GB, so doublecheck what your 2nd 750GB is and then your set.

Len

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2009, 03:17 am »
Robin,

Looks good but your first drive listed is a 160GB, so doublecheck what your 2nd 750GB is and then your set.

Len

The trick will be to pick out the 750G once the top is popped. I've never even looked at a hard drive before so I'm just hoping both hard drives will be marked. Then I'll need to figure out how to replace one. That's when I'll be looking over them instructions you provided Len and I bookmarked. aa I still have about 32G left so I have time to do the research. It was recommended that I leave 10G on the hard drive so I'm actually down to 22G. But I'll tell ya just $130 for another 750G that'll give me 1.5T for my library and 1.5T for library backup is damn cheap considering those expensive HD storage options. This will definitely get done soon. 8)

Cheers,
Robin