Pre-amp, amp your using with your Single Driver, informal poll

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A as the pre, Svetlana SV811-10 SET monos for PAs, Fostex FE168 Sigmas...

BillB

I have a pair of Jordan JX92s

I have used:

amps:

Onix SP3, Sonic Impact T-amp, SI T-amp with upgraded PSU, Winsome Mouse, Sure T-amp, Monarchy SM-70 Pro (current alt.), DIY 6T9 SE amp, Virtue two (loaner), Glow one (loaner)

preamps:

VTL Deluxe American, Burson Discrete preamp, Aikido 24v, DIY 6J6 preamp, Foreplay I (loaner)

I like the T-amps with tubes...if you can't tell, but pure class A has a little something that the digital amps cannot provide.

Bemopti123

Niteshade Audio F2A amplifier gain controlled via EVS Naked Ultimate Attenuators into a pair of Zhorn Garuda with 8" MKI Fostex 208 Sigmas (with the whizzer.)

No need of a preamp but it is a pain to stick my large head into the back to check the volume pots. 

Will add a preamp later, but so far had no need. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I have Omega Super 3 XRS speakers crossed over around 60 Hz to a 10" XBL^2 Sub in a sealed cabinet that goes down to the mid 20s or so, it is powered by a 250W plate amp with a 24 dB/Oct. x-over.

Using an Anthem Pre1... the original with a phono stage and separate 5ar4 rectified power supply. It has 29 dB of gain, using 4 6922s in a mu-follower circuit. I will eventually build a preamp to replace it... maybe....

Amp is a Tubelab Simple SE (see avatar), but I used a driver tube (JJ ecc99) with a lot less mu and double the plate current than what it called for (12at7 I think). I've used new TS 6550s and a few EL34s in it so far. It works best with no feedback and triode strapped output tubes (instead of UL). I spent about $7-800 in parts on it.

I have a Trends, used a few different power supplies, and changed out the input resistors in the signal path. It's not even close to the Simple SE amp, I wouldn't try another digital amp after hearing the difference between the two. Without the tube preamp, the Trends gets a little irritating... I would def. use a tube pre if you're going to try to use a digital amp. Personally, I'd use a pure class A SET with a very clean tube preamp, works for me....  but the Trends or similar is a good temporary measure if you can't afford a good amp right away. 

rhing

This drives a pair of Fostex FX-120 drivers installed in Jordan-Watts bass reflex monitor enclosures.

Please post a pic if you have one.

Thanks,
Jeff

Here you go:

roscoeiii

Re: Pre-amp, amp your using with your Single Driver, informal poll
« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2009, 12:46 am »
Ampwise, I'm using a First Watt F1, which ONLY works with full-range speakers. That's because it is a current source amp. The difference in sound with this amp is immediately noticeable, particularly in terms of frequency response on the lower end. Nelson Pass, the amp's designer shows the effects of the F1 on a huge array of full-range drivers in this link:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt/firstwatt.html

The diagrams on the change in frequency response with F1s begins on the third page.

I am driving an Audio Nirvana Super 12 driver in an DIY box with the F1 amp and the combo sounds incredible.

Having settled on that, now I'm obsessing over the perfect pre-amp for the F1-Audio Nirvana combo. Currently have an Audio Alchemy DLC with a newly acquired Power Station 2. But the lack of non-remote controls is an issue and sound-wise, while instruments sound better than on my Outlaw 1050 used as a pre, the DLC does not do as good a job of precisely localizing the vocals (with the 1050, I could point to a point in space where the vocals were coming from, not so much with the DLC). So I'm thinking about other pre-amp options. The main contenders at this point (and in my price range) are the Adcom GFP-750 (which can be run in active and passive gain mode) and the NuForce P8. If anyone has heard either of these (or even better both), I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Mariusz

« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2009, 02:04 am »
I am using Aura Note with Omegas in my basement workshop.
Sounds pretty good near field despite some issues which I haven't pinpoint yet.
Obviously RWA is another choice.
You might see some really exiting products coming out from the RWA stable but it isn't really announce or even confirmed yet.

On the budget - I would look into Glow Amp-1. (it works with some and not so with others)
Friend of my loves his with SD speakers which are somewhat similar to what I do.
Modifying power supply and some cap rolling will bring this little sucker to another level.
It might be even possible to have this shrimp run on batteries.
Wouldn't that be something?

Mariusz :thumb:

chrisby

« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2009, 04:10 pm »
amps vary from time to time, but most recently:

audio rig (room is pretty tiny- L-shaped, just over 200 sq ft and only 8ft wide, but over 20 ft long )

iMac/iTunes (lossless files)> Airport Express (Toslink out) > Citypulse DAC* > Wright Sound Mono7 / Bottlehead Paramour IIs/  DIY EL84 P/P (El Cheapo variant)/ modified Jolida 302  > Fostex FE127E or Hemp Acoustics FR4.5

no single combination is outstandingly "better" than the others, but the Wrights /FE127E is the one I listen to the most

*optical & Coax digital + line level inputs, full remote function - very easy to like, and quite reasonably priced @ $445 US, but not quite enough output to drive the low input sensitivity Mono7 amps to full power

since I have no inclination to relocate my gear to get the computer close enough to the DAC, I chose not to spend additional for a USB input on the DAC

video rig (different room = 340sq ft)
Motorola HD cable box > generic 70's mini SS amp ( NEC or such?) > FE127E

After getting tired of trying to get anymore than 2.0 channels of audio working in a room that is dictated by the wife's minimalist design aesthetic, as well as the mediocre sound quality of any affordable HT  gear, I just gave up.

jrebman

« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2009, 04:39 pm »
Speakers are Horn Shoppe Horns and Cube, and custom F120A Fonkens with Audio Kinesis Swarm subs.  Horns use Vaughn Carina amp with soon to arrive EVS modified Oppo 980 and Havana dac -- no preamp necessary with this setup.

Fonkens using Eastern Minimax preamp into Wright Sound Mono 7s.  Source is currently Audio Sector NOS dac or Havana, but will soon enough be a high-res USB dac.

Bedroom system (under construction) Bottlehead s.e.x. amp, some yet to be determined cans, and zigmahornets -- again, no preamp necessary.  Source will be some sort of NOS dac -- probably the Audio Sector or HotAudio Dac Straight Gold.

-- Jim

chrisby

« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2009, 06:51 pm »
Jim - if you haven't already arrived at the same info, George confirmed for me that the best location for a safety ground from an IEC jack on the Mono7's would be at the RCA input/chassis ground , rather than the high voltage center tap. 

When I tried that I actually got a bit more "hash" overlayed on the background hum, so I'd be interested in your findings.  BTW, have you settled on a tube complement other than what they came with? This is my first 300B amp, and the stock EH outputs are  very microphonic: I'm hesitant to spend silly coin on other flavours if that's a common characteristic of the type. 

cheers

lcrim

« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2009, 07:26 pm »
I hadn't seen this thread until now.  I have a system in my bedroom w/ aDecware Select SE84CS or Trends TA 10.1 driving a pair of  Parker Audio Model 95 MK II's which while not single driver, they are 95 dB efficient.  In the living room is a Glow Audio Amp One driving a pair of Omega Compact Hemps which are single driver and quite efficient also @ 96 dB with an old Adire Rava sub.
I have had numerous tubed preamps at various times in both systems.  For some time now I have used both systems w/o the gain of a tube preamp, switching sources w/ a switch box (fromDecware.)
All amps have passive attenuators.  It took me awhile to find out that there was just too much gain in these systems using an (active) preamp.  Simpler is better. 

marc mc

« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:47 pm »
Jadis Defy pre / VAC PM90C mono blocks driving my Coral Beta 8's.

marc mc

jrebman

« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2009, 06:33 pm »
Hi Chris,

My amps came with JJs, not EHs and I'm having no issues with microphonics -- or anything else for that matter.  The JJs are built tough and sound decent, so no complaints so far, but I know there is better out there.  Had to cancel my order for the Shuguang 300Bzs, but may try the carbon plate sophias when I'm a bit more flush.  I've got a line on some others too, but I'll wait to see what happens there before I say anything about it.

Decided to move the 'Steens and mono7s to the office -- I need the added efficiency and volume I can get out of the Horns in the living room.

As for the IEC ground wire, I'm a bit confused -- did you say you got better results with the ground lug of the rca input or the center tap?

I'm probably going to wait until I have another amp built before I dive into the mono7s, and I also want to talk to Bud about the next level up in OPTs -- the 'Steens can certainly take advantage of any upgrades -- though as I said, I wouldn't complain about anything.

Back to 300bs, Richard, T-head said he liked the Sophia mesh plates as well.

Talk to you soon,

Jim

chrisby

« Reply #33 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:50 pm »
Hi Chris,

My amps came with JJs, not EHs and I'm having no issues with microphonics -- or anything else for that matter.  The JJs are built tough and sound decent, so no complaints so far, but I know there is better out there.  Had to cancel my order for the Shuguang 300Bzs, but may try the carbon plate sophias when I'm a bit more flush.  I've got a line on some others too, but I'll wait to see what happens there before I say anything about it.

Decided to move the 'Steens and mono7s to the office -- I need the added efficiency and volume I can get out of the Horns in the living room.

As for the IEC ground wire, I'm a bit confused -- did you say you got better results with the ground lug of the rca input or the center tap?

Actually, I was possibly premature in that evaluation - I should have known better, but used only a test clip lead while searching for the quietest node - the dirty and poor mechanical connection probably made things worse.

I'll try again this weekend with proper soldered connections. 

Do your amps have Bud's pigtail Ground Pools attached?

I'm probably going to wait until I have another amp built before I dive into the mono7s, and I also want to talk to Bud about the next level up in OPTs -- the 'Steens can certainly take advantage of any upgrades -- though as I said, I wouldn't complain about anything.

Back to 300bs, Richard, T-head said he liked the Sophia mesh plates as well.

Talk to you soon,

Jim

actually, it looks like Eddie may be finishing my next amp within the next few weeks  :wink:, so I'll have an embarrassment of riches, and choices, choices .....  :thumb:

jrebman

« Reply #34 on: 24 Apr 2009, 06:43 pm »
Chris,

Don't know about the e-pools, but since George had to go pick them up from Bud before he shipped them to me, I'm sure something's been tweaked :-).

Bud also said that any step up from the current OPT will be a whole redesign, new cores, etc., which he can't take on right now.  As I said, nothing to complain about anyway.  He did offer a couple other suggestions though -- pretty much in line with the things you andI have been discussing.

I'll be interested to hear what the ground wire does, or where it does better.

Back to building...

-- Jim

jk@home

« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2009, 12:15 pm »
After getting tired of trying to get anymore than 2.0 channels of audio working in a room that is dictated by the wife's minimalist design aesthetic, as well as the mediocre sound quality of any affordable HT  gear, I just gave up.

The most liberating upgrade I have done recently was to finally separate my music system from the HT/living room. Thanks to a side effect of becoming an empty nester, I acquired a spare room for my SD music system, where WAF doesn't apply.

And now that I'm free from any audiophile obsessions in the HT setup, I replaced my Aragon amps driving Paradigm Studios with Mackie pro amps (3-FR1400s), hidden in a hallway closet, driving long speaker cables. Heresy I know, but the dynamics, the "sizzle and boom", are just though the roof. For rental movie playback, VERY satisfying now (and fairly WAF  :green:).

chrisby

« Reply #36 on: 26 Apr 2009, 06:34 pm »
Chris,

Don't know about the e-pools, but since George had to go pick them up from Bud before he shipped them to me, I'm sure something's been tweaked :-).

Bud also said that any step up from the current OPT will be a whole redesign, new cores, etc., which he can't take on right now.  As I said, nothing to complain about anyway.  He did offer a couple other suggestions though -- pretty much in line with the things you andI have been discussing.

I'll be interested to hear what the ground wire does, or where it does better.

Back to building...

-- Jim

Well, soldering   a short #20 jumper from the IEC socket's ground tab to the RCA chassis ground tab was all it took to quiet things down.

BTW, at George's suggestion, to achieve a bit more input sensitivity (since the CityPulse DAC is rather low on output) I rolled in an old pair of 6SL7's to the driver position - huge improvement in dynamics and soundstage as well as gain.  The little FE127En are just singing away

Still trying to decide about the outputs - I tried a pair of Shuguang (stock from Grant Fidelity 300B) - I much prefered the EH's.  It's not like there's no shortage of choices when it comes to new or even NOS 300B, but it would be very easy to get big time spendy.

and as you mentioned,  Bud has made some other excellent suggestions for component upgrades.

cheers

TerryO

« Reply #37 on: 26 Apr 2009, 07:47 pm »
Nothing elaborate here, I use an HH Scott 299 (no suffix) integrated amp with my "Hi-Tweek Black Box Nearfield Monitors."
Not fancy, but does sound pretty good.

Best Regards,
TerryO

jrebman

« Reply #38 on: 26 Apr 2009, 09:18 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for the report.  Sounds great, and really glad to know about the 6sl7s as I may eventually like to run these straight from a dac and dispense with the preamp altogether, but I'll just have to see what sounds best.

I will be getting some demo beta SE monoblocks in the next couple of months and I'll probably hold off on mods until I get to hear the new amps, which are supposed to be spectacular.

Then again, not sure what the price will be and if I'll like them any better, but they won't use 300bs.

Thanks for the experiment.

-- Jim

chrisby

« Reply #39 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:09 am »
Chris,

I will be getting some demo beta SE monoblocks in the next couple of months and I'll probably hold off on mods until I get to hear the new amps, which are supposed to be spectacular.

Then again, not sure what the price will be and if I'll like them any better, but they won't use 300bs.

Thanks for the experiment.

-- Jim

sounds interesting,  and FWIW, using something other than 300bs isn't necessarily a detriment in my book -  :o