My candidate for champion of the low-price wars

Val

My candidate for champion of the low-price wars
« on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:25 am »
I have a new favorite among super budget (as in real cheap) speakers, the new British Roth Audio OLi1 bookshelf speakers. For only $150 you get a tiny and beautiful pair of bookshelf speakers, real bookshelf speakers because not only there is no boom when placed against the wall, but this real-world placement results in a LS3/5A-like upper-bass bump that makes believe they reproduce deep bass, something their little 4-inch woofers can't do, of course. When placed on stands away from walls, there is no deep bass to speak of, so a subwoofer is required, but then all its virtues multiply to leave you aghast at how it does so much for so little.

Together with a NAD or Rotel integrated, these would make the perfect first system for a young student or a great office system for a music lover. And if you can live without the self-powered piece of garbage of the month, I'm sure they would also excel as computer speakers, or even as home theater speakers in a small room, as they already come with simple, non-adjustable wall hangers.

The OLi1s are a whiff under 9.5 inches tall, 6 inches wide and 7 inches deep, with a nice finish of glossy black top and bottom and satin black curved sides in high quality vinyl that looks and feels like real wood veneer, maybe it is. Very heavy for the size and just as solid as my ACI Sapphire XLs when subjected to the knuckle test. And on top of all that, they have a 88dB sensitivity and can handle 100W!

As I write this, Branford Marsalis' Trio Jeepy sounds spookily real through them, giving me great doses of the stuff we audiophiles love: detail, neutrality, smoothness, frequency response evenness, great imaging and soundstaging, even weight and slam on Gabriela Montero playing Bach's Toccata in D minor at the piano. They are true giant-killers and it was a pleasure to deal with the American dealer, HIDEF Lifestyle.
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2009, 01:56 am by Val »

mcullinan

Re: My candidate for champion of the low-price wars
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:44 pm »
Thanks for this! Prices of high end audio manufacturers have been getting OUT of HAND! Maybe Im crazy, but it seems to be a 30-40 percent jump since last year alone. Not sure why everyone is charging so much for products that arent game changing. Its more than just an attitude or jumping in at a price point. I keep reading reviews on value and the product costs 2K-3k. I see expensive, and still you are really not getting that much.
Of course I own one of the most expensive speakers, perceptionwise, but I did not purchase at full price either.
Hopefully there are more real world values out there like these.
Mike

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:44 pm »
Nice to read an enthusiastic review of an inexpensive speaker for a change. I agree with mcullinan....this hobby is getting increasingly expensive by the hour.

Mike19

• Carbona, not glue.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2009, 09:10 pm »
Suggested inflation fighter:

Used (there are no new ones) pair of Spica TC-50s. Standmounters, 2-way, great sound. These go for about $225 a pair which is the same price new back in 1988 when I bought mine. I wish I still had them. Does need a sub, but a good 8" will do.

Mike

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:06 pm »
EPOS ES11, all the rage in the early 1990s, and while old, still magical.  Can be had used at between 350 to 400 range, as of late the price of these ever older speaker is creeping up and up.  The walnut cabinet and finish made in the UK is astonishing.  Bought and sold 2 pairs, the most stupid thing I ever did. 

Val

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:26 am »
I am familiar with both the Spica TC-50 and the Epos ES11. I recommended the Spicas to the son of my best friend for his first system; the Epos I remember well when it destroyed my B&W Matrix 805 in a side-by-side comparison.

This is speculation, but I think the Roth would win over the Spica and maybe the Epos would still compete because of its natural presentation due to the barebones crossover.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:39 am »
The What Hi*Fi review is here..... :thumb: