Californication

Norway

Californication
« on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:40 pm »
Don't know what it is with me and HiFi products from California. A couple of years ago I wasn't even aware of Channel Islands Audio. But faith led me to choose a little known VDA-2 DAC (little known here in Norway at least). The result was so impressive that when I found a pair of demo used D100's I bought them instantly and have been very pleased with both the DAC and the mono amplifiers ever since.

Then just about a month ago I found a pair of speakers that I just HAD TO BUY! They are called Sonist and made by a dude called Randy Bankert. He lives and produce these speakers in California as well. So once again my intuition (and ears) bring me to California for high quality HiFi products.  :lol:

I've had some silly problems using a Squeezebox as a digital source for the VDA-2 lately. Problems I only solved yesterday, so I will try to tune back in to give an impression how the D100's sound on these "tube friendly" speakers when I have had some more time to listen.

Håvard

USAudio

Re: Californication
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2009, 06:42 pm »
SlimDevices is based in California, so you're being consistent.   :wink:
My early SqueezeBox3 was actually made in California but I believe they're all made in China now ...   :(

Do you like the Red Hot Chili Peppers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abrKM1Z_te8
:green:

Norway

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2009, 06:11 pm »
Five moths with new speakers and even more equipment from California. 8) Bought a Kingrex T20 Class T amplifier and was very impressed with this small amplifier and how it sounded together with my Sonist's. This lead to a purchase of a small 2x4.5W EL84 single ended amplifier called Tecon Model 55. Although this amplifier is produced in China the company is based in Palmdale California.

Anyway, sound wise I would say that the Kingrex T20 is the best all-rounder. It makes almost anything sound good with deep, solid bass and smooth, relaxed highs. The Tecon is plenty fun. Deep bass and lots of punch when used with Russian long-life 6p14p-er tubes. Especially CD's with music from the 70's that sound a bit flat and boring on many amplifiers can be brought to life again with this amplifier. Then again, once in a blue moon I stumble over a CD where it just becomes too much fun. This is the game of tube rolling I guess...

The CI Audio D100's sounded quite boring when the speakers were new. This has changed a lot over time, but the D100's still are the most "correct" of the mentioned amplifiers and when I use them I prefer to connect a Eastern Electric MiniMax BBA tube buffer between the preamp and D100's. I have a feeling that this give a little boost to the bass/punch. They are completely neutral and never loose control no matter what I play, and of course they play with a higher level of control at really high volume. Still, they are more laid back in the lower frequencies than both the Kingrex and the Tecon on the Sonist's and sound best on recordings with good quality and high level of dynamics.

knut_the_viking

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2009, 11:10 pm »
So the Tecon amp is able to handle a pair of Sonist speakers?
Interesting... Since I happen to have the Tecon already, and starting to get serious about beginning to consider thinking about evaluating new speakers.

I have a Sonic Impact Super-T amp that I sometimes use with my Tekton speakers, but have to say I prefer the Tecon.

Knut
(Also Norwegian)

Norway

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2009, 11:52 pm »
Yes, at the moment the Tecon is connected to my Sonist's and have no problem producing more sound than I feel comfortable with. The Sonists can be used with SE amps down to 2W, so the Tecon's 4.5W is more than adequate. I actually got the idea of buying the Tecon for the Sonist's from demo setups used by Randy Bankert where he use the Glow Amp One.

I am also using t-amp's from time to time, a set of modified Kingrex T-20 in bi-amp. After the mod I felt like the Tecon and Kingrex were quite similar, but I have found that the Tecon need to get properly warm before it really show what it is good for. After about 30-40 minutes the bass response has increased noticeably and the treble settle down. Also I found that Russian long life 6p14p-er tubes increase the fun factor of the Tecon. Very dynamic and punchy.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2009, 01:45 am »
We have a KingRex T20U with the optional analog supply. A nice amp but no match for the diy RH84s (broadly similar to the Tec-on in that it is an SEP EL840. KingRex are Taiwanese. Tec-on is Chinese AFAIK.

dave