Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle

Gearguy

Re: Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle
« Reply #40 on: 8 Nov 2019, 12:21 am »
Greetings!

So glad to find the Circle and the tube aficionados. I will soon have a modified ST70 Dynaco I will feed from a Schitt DAC, a turn table and old PAT4 preamp as needed. I really like using both analog and digital... I use my Hasselblad w/film and edit/print the scans digitally. Best of both worlds.

I'm contemplating building GR XLS speakers. Question: will 35 wpc be ok for moderate listening levels in a small room? A good sonic match?

Thank you,.

SET Man

« Reply #41 on: 8 Nov 2019, 01:53 am »
Greetings!

So glad to find the Circle and the tube aficionados. I will soon have a modified ST70 Dynaco I will feed from a Schitt DAC, a turn table and old PAT4 preamp as needed. I really like using both analog and digital... I use my Hasselblad w/film and edit/print the scans digitally. Best of both worlds.

I'm contemplating building GR XLS speakers. Question: will 35 wpc be ok for moderate listening levels in a small room? A good sonic match?

Thank you,.

Hey!

Welcome to the Audio Circle and especially to the tube circle. I think you probably the first one to mentioned tube and Hasselblad film camera together on the first post, that's cool man  8)

Well, I'm running SET amps with Fostex 6" single driver speaker and I have Hassy 500C/Ms with 50mm f4 T*, 80mm f2.8 T*, 150mm f4 all chrome and 3 120 backs. Mostly B&W, I can't seem to get B&W from my current digital cam Sony A7II the same way I get from film still.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the speaker you've mentioned, but I'm sure someone here can comment on that one. Selecting speaker is not easy, you have to factor in how big is your room, how loud you listen, and of course how is your budget.

Buddy

Gearguy

« Reply #42 on: 8 Nov 2019, 01:12 pm »
Thanks Buddy! I appreciate it. Tube audio can provides the "sump'in sump'in" in the same way film does.

mick wolfe

« Reply #43 on: 8 Nov 2019, 04:28 pm »
Greetings!

Thank you,.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Don't know what modified ST 70 you have, but modern versions of the ST70 like the AVA Ultravalve and Latino sound much stronger than their 35-40 watt ratings. The GR speaker mentioned looks to have typical tube friendly specs for a small 2-way as well.

Gearguy

« Reply #44 on: 12 Nov 2019, 02:34 am »
Thanks Mick.

Just ordered Peter Rawlins' flatpack XL-S cabinets, and will build out the GR speakers soon.

Parallel project is a Raspberry PI/DAC streamer.