3B SST Squared - first impression

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 3B SST Squared - first impression
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2009, 10:19 am »
is there a lot of difference between the 3B SST and the 3B SST2?   One of the other threads i.e. on the 4B does not show a lot of difference.  I assume going down the line there is only so much you can change at each of their price points.  i.e. a 14B or the 7B would be able to absorb more of a change than the 2B or the 3B since the price point is a lot lower for them.  You can't expect all the changes from the higher priced models be included in the lower priced models.  If there were, the higher priced models would become redundant.

Hi Mitcho,

Correct most of the changes are in the SERIES amps like the 14B, 7B and less as you move down.
3B SQ changes are:

3B SST-2
NEW POWER SWITCH AND MICRO SOFT START
INPUT RF FILTER
HIGHER INPUT IMPEDANCE
INPUT CAPACITOR CHANGE
FEEDBACK CAPACITOR CHANGE
FULLY BALANCED IN BRIDGED MODE
LOWER THD AND NOISE

james

mitcho

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2009, 12:50 pm »
I figured that was correct.  I was told all the changes that were in the 28 were in the 3B.   Made no sense to me as why then would I buy the 28 unless I needed the added power.   The added power would not be enough to justify the additional cost if that was the only difference.   

I would assume then, there is a small difference in sonics between the SST and the SST2.   More of a difference between the other series ie a SST vs ST or ST vs LP etc.  rather than the most recent.  The noise floor was already some of the best, so I gather it's a subtle difference.  The refinement possibly could be a little bit better as well.

The circuit seems to be basically the same with minor improvements in parts (caps) which always makes a subtle change/ improvement in sonics.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2009, 01:13 pm »
I figured that was correct.  I was told all the changes that were in the 28 were in the 3B.   Made no sense to me as why then would I buy the 28 unless I needed the added power.   The added power would not be enough to justify the additional cost if that was the only difference.   

I would assume then, there is a small difference in sonics between the SST and the SST2.   More of a difference between the other series ie a SST vs ST or ST vs LP etc.  rather than the most recent.  The noise floor was already some of the best, so I gather it's a subtle difference.  The refinement possibly could be a little bit better as well.

The circuit seems to be basically the same with minor improvements in parts (caps) which always makes a subtle change/ improvement in sonics.

Yes I would say that is a fair assessment.

james

mitcho

« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2009, 04:40 pm »
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 12:11 pm by mitcho »

dirk

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:50 pm »
I'm waiting for the shipping date... normally the delivery time was 3 a 4 weeks...

mitcho

« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:53 pm »
yes.  I would imagine since it's a new product/ line, it takes awhile to get it.   They would not have a supply of them on hand.  Plus when the new line starts up, there is such interest everything gets backed up.   thanks

dirk

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:55 pm »
yes.  I would imagine since it's a new product/ line, it takes awhile to get it.   They would not have a supply of them on hand.  Plus when the new line starts up, there is such interest everything gets backed up.   thanks
When do you get yours ?

mitcho

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2009, 11:22 pm »
no
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 12:11 pm by mitcho »

dirk

« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2009, 07:12 pm »
Back online....  :P
How is the production going ? (3b-sst2)

mitcho

« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2009, 11:53 pm »
did you get yours?
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2009, 05:21 pm by mitcho »

dirk

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jun 2009, 09:30 am »
did you get yours?
This week he arived at mafico.
I made a apointment for next week, with my dealer.

dirk

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jun 2009, 06:22 am »
did you get yours?
Hi,
Yesterday i installed the 3b-sst2... and compared to my previous advance acoustic maa-406 it sounds much more controled and musical(fuller). On paper they are both 150 W but the the bryston sounds so much better. NO sharp edge, more spacious... and the second day it keeps getting better...

mitcho

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jun 2009, 06:37 am »
did you get yours?
Hi,
Yesterday i installed the 3b-sst2... and compared to my previous advance acoustic maa-406 it sounds much more controled and musical(fuller). On paper they are both 150 W but the the bryston sounds so much better. NO sharp edge, more spacious... and the second day it keeps getting better...

excellent.  Glad you like it.  It sounds like an excellent amp.  It should still improve as it stabilizes and also breaks in further! :thumb:

rpmartins

« Reply #33 on: 16 Feb 2012, 06:10 pm »
H RMURRAY,

I think we have been able through the 'first and last watt' design philosophy of the new "SQ" amplifiers to make all the amplifiers sound extremely similar.  I think the 28B proves that. So think of it like an engine in a car - it can be a 4 or 6 or 8 cylinder engine but the quality of those engine's are identical.

james

Hi!
This is my first post.
Found Audiocircle when searching for Bryston info and i´m amazed with the good opinions concerning the audio quality for itself, but also the service assistance and the participation of Mr. J Tanner.
Without possibility to hear Bryston stuff before buying, I´ve a BIG doubt: 3bsst2 or 4bsst2?
Probably I´m going to buy a pair of ProAc to use in a 24m2 room, but I must hear some models of this and other brands first.

The above quote (James Tanner´s) makes me think that I don´t need 300W to drive most of mainstream speakers in the market and If I go for the 3Bsst2 I don´t loose quality and I save money for a future component.

Is my conclusion correct or 4bsst2 is a "no brainer" and I´ll be thinking of an upgrade very soon if I choose the 3bsst2?

As I read on another topic, I don´t need balanced outputs so, the preamp will surely be a BP-6.

I´d appreciate your input, because I´m buying amplification like a deaf person. :?
Thank you.