Question for RWA DAC owners.

tbabb

Question for RWA DAC owners.
« on: 22 Mar 2009, 05:27 pm »
I'm considering a RWA DAC, but have not had a DAC before.  I have a VPI Analog rig and have given up my digital pursuit after tying the higher end Cary CDPs and a Highly Modified Sony SACD Player. Both were pretty good digitally speaking, but always felt the Analog was closer to the music. Eventually I got rid of the digital.

Now I am considering getting back into Digital, now that computer + DAC can surpass most CDP I think CDP is dead, so Computer to DAC is the route I'd like to pursue.

Now for the question - Those of you that have ended up with RWA DAC, what did you replace or try before ending your search with the RWA.  Can you elaborate on your comparisons?

Thanks!

No Disc
Tim

wilsynet

Re: Question for RWA DAC owners.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:28 am »
I owned or auditioned a number of DACs before settling on the Isabellina.

Benchmark DAC 1, Electrocompaniet ECD-1, AudioSector USB, iRoc USB, Bel Canto S300IU.  Also the Citypulse, Zhaolu, and probably a couple of other entry level DACs that I forget now.

Like many other NOS DACs, the Isabellina is somewhat laid back.  But unlike many other NOS DACs it has both great micro and macro dynamics.  It's resolving, but not ultra-resolving, and what it gives up in a little detail it makes up for in PRaT.  It's relaxed and smooth and an awful lot like the turntable I have.

I heard a VPI Scoutmaster with a Sumiko cartridge this weekend.  I didn't spend very much time, but from what little I heard, there wasn't much to distinguish the two.  The VPI had better high frequency extension and sound stage depth, and the Isabellina was more dense and had better soundstage width.  But all of these could have just been differences in speakers, room acoustics and associated equipment.  I'd have to bring the VPI home and have an extended audition to really have a reasonable and informed opinion.

I have a JVC QL-Y66F with Dynavector 10x5 cartridge.  Some of the guys in the vinyl circle (ChairGuy in particular) quite like the QL-Y66F and consider it a giant killer, comparing favourably to $2K+ turntables.  I don't have enough experience with turntables to really say one way or another.  I've stuffed the turntable with 7lbs of modeling clay, sprayed sound dampening rubber paint on the bottom, have a nice turntable mat, add brass weights and and it sits on vibration absorbing feet on a spiked Ikea LACK table on top of another Ikea LACK table.  So really, all the tweaks I could muster without breaking the bank.

When comparing the JVC QL-Y66F to the Isabellina, and mainly I find that the biggest differences are in the quality of mastering.  A lossless rip from a well mastered CD is very comparable to the original analog recording on vinyl.  For example, when I take, say, a Norah Jones CD and compare it to the 180 gram vinyl pressing of same album, there's very little to choose from between the two.  On the other hand, when I compare Brubeck's Time Out on vinyl to the CD version, the vinyl is night and day better than the CD.

My comparisons haven't been overly extensive or rigorous, but that's what I've found so far.  It would be interesting if I had a $3000 turntable to compare the two, but funds don't allow for that kind of investment right now.  Your mileage may vary of course ...

tbabb

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:08 am »
Thank you for you feedback. As I said, I don't have much experience with DACs, at least not those that work with computers. You observations do help, at least being able to know what to expect with the RWA DAC.  My intention with giving background about my analog setup was not to compare digital with analog, or anything like that.  I just don't want to go through 10 DACs to find one that is world class.  My analog setup has been tweaked and far surpasses what you can get with the off-the-shelf VPI.  It's ironic that I got my analog tweaked to perfection, only to find my digital lagging behind. 

My Scoutmaster has all the bells and whistles, and is coupled to a a thick maple block with massive brass triple-points. The motor and flywheel combo is mounted on a separate maple platform to remove that as much as possible from the mix.  I've got a lesser known Monster Alpha Genesis cartridge modified by Van der hul.  The Monster Alpha was designed by Hisayoshi Nakatsuka, of ZYX fame.  The Alpha is feeding  Bent Audio MU step-up transformers, which go into the Wright Sound preamp.   The bottom line is I know it's going to take a good DAC to make me happy. 

Thanks again for your feedback.  Some pics of my setup. http://gallery.me.com/iamtimbabb#100024

No Disc

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:41 am »
NICE system tbabb

Now, let me just say this
* there is no point for you to seek a DAC which will sound like your analogue setup - you already got one.
* but, if you seek the connivance of digital source and reproduction of computer files without the usual edginess and glare associated with many of today's CDPs, DACs and the media itself - then YES, Isabellina might be for you.
Isabella is build into my Isabella preamp and it is used with my MacBook Air through USB/iTunes and as a external DAC for my Consonance Droplet CDP ($3200) ............ which is silly but true. Droplet is pretty good stand along CDP, however with Isabella/Isabellina it just opens up (soundstage wise, inner details) and enriches somewhat dry reproduction (in A/B comparison that is). (I also owned Paradisea NOS DAC. It wasn't bad but I preferred my Droplet still. Planed to use it in 2nd rig but sold it eventually)

With 30 days to try it in your own system, i can not see how can you loose.
Try it, listen, keep it if you like it, return it if it is not your cup or tea.
it is that simple.

*It was awarded the most "ANALOGUE" product of the year by 6 Moons for a reason.*

Mariusz :thumb:
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2009, 06:14 pm by Mariusz »

Jim C

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2009, 06:10 pm »
I am not an expert on DACs but have listened to Benchmark, Bel Canto and entry level Audio Note stuff, among others  before going with RWA .

During this past Rocky Mtn Audio Fest, Vinnie was flexible enough to play the same source material in his demo room simultaneously thru both a Scheu turntable and a Macbook (lossless, error free, etc) via his Pre-Amp/ DAC combination. He switched back and forth (sort of an impromptu blind test) without me seeing which source was active at any given point. To my ears, they were very close. There was almost no difference in sound quality other than the omission of some pops and such one sometimes hears with vinyl.

I was looking for a system that would approach the sound of a vinyl based source and tube sound with the convenience and lesser long term cost of digital (I didn't have a great deal tied up in a vinyl album collection and wasn't enamored with the additional "care and feeding" of vinyl if I could achieve a similar sound with a different approach). Up to that point, I was shopping higher end CD players because I had not yet heard any computer/DAC combinations that measured up to the kind of vinyl sound I was seeking (admittedly a very personal thing).

I found the RWA Isabella with DAC and Macbook to be just what I was looking for. The preamp and DAC coupled with the 30.2 amplifier was compelling enough for me to set aside the notion of tubes for now.

I also found that the added convenience of instant access to one's entire music library to be quite liberating and this enticed me to listen more than I had in the past ( others may find they miss the ritual of the vinyl album selection, cover art reading, cleaning etc- each to their own). I currently have an all RWA/WLM system with Macbook source and have not looked back or had any buyers remorse - I am in fact enjoying listening to music more than ever. While I still generally play thru entire albums when listening, the freedom and ease to navigate around my music library at will or just listen to a few songs or selected playlist of my own liking has added a new dimension to my music listening.

I don't see this as an "either or choice" between digital and vinyl, rather an "addition to" that let's one enjoy the hobby in even more ways.

'Hope this helps.

Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2009, 02:26 pm »
Hi Jim C, Mariusz and Wilsynet,

Thanks for your posts!

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

If you are looking to hear digital sound as close as possible to vinyl, and have the ability to interface to
a computer for your music server, I am confident that the Isabellina will bring a big smile to your face.  :D

Quote from: Mariusz
With 30 days to try it in your own system, i can not see how can you loose.
Try it, listen, keep it if you like it, return it if it is not your cup or tea.
it is that simple.

Exactly - and I am working on a new production run of Isabellinas and should have them ready in just a couple of weeks.  :hyper:

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm »
I had a Wadia 830 with factory P upgrade (second power supply), with Oritek X-2 IC (~$500). I compared this directly to Isabella's internal DAC (Isabellina) using inexpensive coax cable from DVD player, and now USB via Apple Macbook.

The Wadia is gone and my system has never sounded better. RWA puts more flesh on instruments and vocals. Tone is very natural. And the system is very easy to listen to.

I recommend anyone with your interests take advantage of Vinnie's 30-day money back guarantee and give it a try. Vinnie has a great ear, and his 'off the grid' approach produces beautiful sound. But ya got to hear it for yourself in your own listening room.

Kent