Bad Recording does ruin music for me

geezer

Re: Bad Recording does ruin music for me
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2009, 06:32 pm »
Here's a copy of a post of mine elsewhere in AC. It's also relevant here.

[I dislike] Wagner, because there are too many too long segments when the whole orchestra and all the singers are blaring away at full volume. I like more texture in music. Painters often say you need to have the darks if you want to show the lights. It's the same in music. I like the fffs embedded among the ppps, and most times either a single instrument, or at most a single section of the orchestra, should clearly dominate.

I dislike most popular music for the same reasons.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
It would seem, judging from the comments on relevant threads on pro forums, that this is a matter of concern among mixing and mastering engineers, and has been for a few years.

At the moment there seems to be starting a trend back to less compression, with some mastering engineers posting (excitedly and proudly, if I'm not mistaken) that they were able to master their latest with no compression, and posting details.

Anyway, I believe at this point that the whole notion needs to be sold to the clients (musicians and producers) that to create excitement, the best route is less compression not more, because the consumer can turn a less-compressed recording up louder than a more compressed version without reaching equipment (amplifier and speaker) limits.

All this arose partly through the persistent notion that the record with the highest average levels would "pop out" more in on-air rotation and "fool" the compressor/limiter/leveler chain at the station. The reality is that these devices are smarter than is being allowed for and they will bring a less-compressed recording with lower average (rms) levels pretty well up to the levels of the hyper compressed ("spanked") competition.

Another factor contributing to this is the easy and cheap availability of very powerful compressors to all and sundry. The proper use of a compressor is as much an art as any that of any other piece of sound-influencing equipment, and good skills can take 10s of years to develop.

I feel I'm still learning tricks with compression after 25 years of scrupulous attention to the minutae of the task. I had a small a breakthrough today, come to think of it.

bummrush

« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2009, 09:45 pm »
Small breakthroughs are where its at.

werd

« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:13 pm »
This is the reason I could only listen to the new Metallica album only once before I sold it for a buck.

Hi Ian

The last  Metallica recording is horrid, apparently they compressed it severly for radio playback and mp3 or something like that.
If you like this album try ripping it from guitar hero, it doesnt suffer from any of the playback issues of the cd.... sounds way better

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 12:14 am by werd »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:29 pm »
How do you rip from a video game?  :scratch: :dunno:

Bob

Stu Pitt

« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2009, 03:33 am »
I was wondering the same thing.

werd

« Reply #26 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:35 am »
How do you rip from a video game?  :scratch: :dunno:

Bob

Actually sorry that is not exactly how i wanted it to sound. They data mine the wav files off the disc.  Just go to the pirate bay and dl the wave files from there.... here's the link  http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4833921/Metallica_DM_GH__Metallica_24_96_raw_rips

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #27 on: 14 Apr 2009, 11:55 am »
Aahhh cool. I understand now. Thanks for that.

Bob

p.s. Nice pair of blond twins in their banner ad too.  aa

low.pfile

« Reply #28 on: 5 Jul 2010, 05:45 pm »
Another one....

I was surprised yesterday listening to a Massive Attack song that had big heavy low bass that caught me by surprise while just listening to background music while reading. Having a new pair of Devore Nines I said "wow, what a big difference"  The Nines do reach deeper, so I wasn't surprised, but I noticed the overall level of the song was much higher than the songs that preceded it (I was listing to a mixed smart playlist in itunes). So I got up and checked out which track and it was the new version (2006) of a song from 1991. Then I played them both and heard the difference. So I brought the two into Audacity to visually check the levels and voila...compression. I have seen worse but it is quite apparent as you see above.

Napalm

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2010, 02:55 am »
How much of a factor is radioplay these days anyway?  I haven't discovered a new band via FM radio in AGES.

All radio stations have their own compressors/limiters and they run everything through them.

It's just some idiot sound engineer that started a trend and the other idiots followed.

Nap.

TONEPUB

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:35 am »
Hi Ian

The last  Metallica recording is horrid, apparently they compressed it severly for radio playback and mp3 or something like that.
If you like this album try ripping it from guitar hero, it doesnt suffer from any of the playback issues of the cd.... sounds way better

The LP doesn't sound as bad as the CD either.  A little touch up with the Manley Massive Passive and it's actually playable!