Shielding

JohnR

Shielding
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2003, 10:02 am »
Your wish is my command. ;)

_scotty_

Shielding
« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2003, 05:49 pm »
The bolt can touch the copper on the bottom and there won't be a problem.  The bolt and the mounting plates are at ground potential already, what doesn't exist is a complete circuit of conducting material that passes through the center of the toroid.  This is what we are trying to avoid.  The bottom of the chassis and the top mounting plate already soak up the the hum field radiated in those directions.  The direction in which the field radiates farthest is straight out of the toroid from its' sides.  If you construct a band of copper that is a little taller than the transformer and surround the transformer with it you will stop most of the hum field.

PJ

Shielding
« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2003, 03:29 am »
Try steel.

It offers the best absorption and good reflection characteristics.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
Shielding
« Reply #23 on: 12 Dec 2003, 03:41 am »
Ever consider trying Stillpoints ERS?  Alot of people in the Circle have tried it, some swear by it.

Full disclosure:  I am a dealer for it, but post the question on ERS in two channel and you will get plenty  of information and opinions.

Cheers!

WerTicus

Shielding
« Reply #24 on: 12 Dec 2003, 04:03 am »
Well i have already bought the copper pj...

Thanks for the offer cryotweaks but im much too much DIY to buy something! :)  I forged this copper from my own mine! or plantation (im not sure where copper comes from)

and thank you scotty for saving my amp from death! ill let everyone know how it goes ...

- ill do the upgrade tomorrow :P

WerTicus

Shielding
« Reply #25 on: 12 Dec 2003, 10:14 am »
Okay well i did the shielding just then...

The ac hum used to be just audable from 5 metres (listening position) and now its only just audable from 3... which isnt as good as I was hoping actually... but its an improvement non the less.  

Actually the right channel's ac hum is audable from only 2 metres so i might see how perhaps I missed a little bit on the left channel and fix it up.

Also i think ill go back and double up on the copper everywhere anyway then i imagine the ac hum will be only audable with my head against a driver!

Ummm... otherwise the detailing seems improved i instantly noticed a improved clairy of instruments when lots were playing at once. And i heard a couple in the background i never knew were playing before that sorta faded into the noise of all the action.

so... yay.. i suppose it will be worth it considering i have heaps of copper left over for doing at least two more amps ....

....all for 30 bucks :P (aust)

word of warning ... cut copper sheets are razor sharp and will make you bleed (trust me!) ;)