Budget starter amp for Tekton FE167 speakers

jk@home

Re: Budget starter amp for Tekton FE167 speakers
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:52 pm »
Thanks Jim. Time to start shoppin :green:

knut_the_viking

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:43 pm »
I am very happy with my Tec-on Model 55 integrated tube amp, driving a pair of Tekton 4.5

I purchased mine via
http://www.teconaudio.com/
The special deal is still on; $398 with free shipping.

Several of the online audio magazines have reviewed it favorably

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:46 pm »
That was the other amp I was trying to think of.  Have heard lots of good things about this one too.

-- Jim

knut_the_viking

« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2009, 05:54 pm »
You may be able to get an in-house trial, even.
Check with Pierre, he's a good guy.

jk@home

« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2009, 06:48 pm »
That's a nice looking unit for the price. Do you feel it has plenty of power to drive your Tekton?

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2009, 07:06 pm »
I am very happy with my Tec-on Model 55 integrated tube amp, driving a pair of Tekton 4.5

I purchased mine via
http://www.teconaudio.com/
The special deal is still on; $398 with free shipping.

Several of the online audio magazines have reviewed it favorably

Interesting.  
Its bigger brother puts out 8wpc. in class A. 
But no USB.

acresm22

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2009, 07:20 pm »
The Tecon DOES look interesting. Here's a review that matched it with several Fostex-based single driver speakers, and also shows a pic of the Tecon and Glow side-by-side:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=3&artpage=3795&articID=852

jk@home

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2009, 07:25 pm »
The 6moons "review" or more appropriately "product introduction" is kind of strange...like something else was going on there :?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/tecon/55.html

But this looks like a great candidate, thanks.

knut_the_viking

« Reply #28 on: 17 Mar 2009, 07:34 pm »
That's a nice looking unit for the price. Do you feel it has plenty of power to drive your Tekton?

I think it drives my speakers just fine.
The combination isn't the last word in bass slam for AC/DC or stuff like that, but I haven't run out of power yet.
I find that my Tektons need a little volume to open up, but that threshold isn't 'loud' or anything.

acresm22

« Reply #29 on: 17 Mar 2009, 09:00 pm »
FWIW on the power issue, I have a pair of Atelier First Horns (use the Fostex FE126e I believe) that I drive with a Music Reference 13em7 2.5 watt amp and an Axiom passive pre. Plenty of juice in a fairly large living room. I doubt you'll feel underpowered with either the Glow or the Tecon.

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 17 Mar 2009, 09:39 pm »
I second the suggestion for a used Melody/Onix SP3.  They are absolute bargains.  They sound darn good and look really nice.  I think they are so cheap because so many folks bought 'em, so there are plenty on the market.  A friend of mine bought one for around $400 shipped (shipping is no small cost for a 56lbs amplifier).  You can't build much for that.  I've exceeded that budget on my current amp project, and I'm using mostly salvaged, nearly free parts.

If you listen to intimate music fairly nearfield, you might check out the Bottlehead S.E.X. amp.  They sell some assembled, and might even have one in stock.  Though very low powered, you can't find a cheap commercial amp that is as thoughtfully designed.
Bottlehead S.E.X.

Finally, if you are interested in a super cheap but good sounding option, look at Parts Express's reproduction of the original Sonic Impact.  It's $40.  It doesn't sound as good as the Onix, but depending on your source and cables, you may never know the difference.
Dayton DTA-1

pj

jk@home

« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:33 am »
If I went with the S.E.X. amp, I'd go for the kit. I make my own interconnects, this system has silver Homegrown Audio IC-8s/4s, terminated with silver WBT Nextgens/Homegrown LOKs. Plus I've dappled with a few component mods.

I have flirted a few times with building a Foreplay pre, always had a slight issue with the "mounted in your granddaddy’s cigar box" look :icon_lol: Damn if I can find any negative comments in regards to Bottlehead, and they do have an excellent support forum. And if it breaks, I can fix it!

Other than the Decware kits that are "plank" mounted (my cat say's I can't go there), is the Bottlehead kit the cheapest route to a true SET amp?

strider

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:39 am »
The Vista Audio amp in Chadh's post from the first page of this thread is available as a kit as well.

Another I've looked at is the Tubelab Simple SE, which comes as just the PCB. Lot's of support on diyaudio.com from both the owner of Tubelab and the fanatics in general.

You'd need to build/source a chassis for both.

jk@home

« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:57 am »
Looks good. Do you know a source for a "close to" dedicated chassis?

strider

« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2009, 01:33 pm »
The guy whose build I followed last used a Hammond chassis, looks like it turned out real well. I didn't see if he noted exactly which one it was, though. I'll see if I can find out for you.

Here's the link to the thread he started on diyaudio:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138527&highlight=

strider

« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:42 pm »
He used the Hammond 1441-32, which is 17x10x3. Bought it off Ebay for about $36 plus shipping.

chrisby

« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2009, 05:42 pm »
The Bottlehead S.E.X. integrated is a great sounding /bang for buck unit, with excellent instructions and on-line community support.  However for those that like to flavor from their "spice rack" the design is quite limited for possible tube rolling.

FWIW, I've heard both the Kingrex/PSU and the Glow(earlier version) on an FE127 design with which I'm intimately familiar, and found Glow more musical.

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:36 am »
I didn't know if you'd be willing to do a quasi-scratch build, but the SimpleSE would be a great option.  I'm currently working on a variation of Eli Duttman's "El Cheapo".  Massive Thread Here, Schematic Here.  It was sort of inspired by chrisby's (if he's who I think he is), in that it uses a bunch of salvaged parts (mine has a wilder power supply).  I know the SimpleSE would be much easier due to it's PCB based nature, but after all the chassis work and parts layout planning of my current project, the S.E.X. looks awfully attractive.  I do like all the problem solving, but it takes more time than you'd think.

jk@home

« Reply #38 on: 19 Mar 2009, 11:05 am »

I know this is going to sound bad, but for me, the downside of the projects like that is the "learning curve". On other words, how many hours am I going to have to sit in front of the screen, reading thread after thread, before it sinks in (this is a personal problem :D) But I'll check it out.

At least the Bottlehead kits look as if they are "hold your hand", complete projects w/ parts and instructions. Said to take a couple evening (which will be more in my case).

What I want to know is where's all the used Bottlehead gear for sale?

jrebman

« Reply #39 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:59 pm »
JK,

Pretty rare to see Bottlehead gear for sale, especially the s.e.x. amps.  There's a reason for that, and it's a good one ;-).

One good thing about that kit is that if you decide you really like the amp, then you can upgrade the iron and do a few other tweaks and take it's performance up several notches.  It's a very cool little amp even though it's been years since I heard one.

Also be aware that it doesn't have a bottom cover, so putting it in a place where it can't be disturbed and the cat and little kids can't mess with it would be a good idea.  Or just make a ventilated bottom plate for it.

-- Jim