----TT for good old Rock and Roll ------

2bigears

----TT for good old Rock and Roll ------
« on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:15 am »
:D  all you vinyl guys please advise here on a tt for playing old rock.thinking on trading in the P9 on a big name.lot of tables on the Gon right now.if you only play this type of music is there a realistic ceiling on the tt you should get ?? thinking of a good VPI  or SME,something along those lines.... :D

mcrespo71

Re: ----TT for good old Rock and Roll ------
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:41 am »
:D  all you vinyl guys please advise here on a tt for playing old rock.thinking on trading in the P9 on a big name.lot of tables on the Gon right now.if you only play this type of music is there a realistic ceiling on the tt you should get ?? thinking of a good VPI  or SME,something along those lines.... :D

You do realize that the P9 is one of the best tables for rock made, right?  It certainly is much quicker than any VPI I have heard, though I have not heard SME's enough to comment.  IMO, this would be a mistake.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:42 am »
Don't know personally from a P9 but for rock and roll it's all abour PRAT. That means a direct drive TT by all accounts. Lots of them about these days, like rebuilt Lenco's and Garrard's and old Technic's.

Bob

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:50 am »

If you really want some opinions from people crazy about rock music, I'd post this on pink fish forum.  You are more likely to get far more people to weigh in.  Also, to BobM's point, the P9 is a PRAT machine.  I've not heard a table with a quicker transient attack.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:54 am »
 :D  i was wondering if this question was moot.if Rega is good enough for R&R,what cart does that old music justice ?? got a Dyna XX2 on it right now.some say the 17D2 or 3 works or sounds better.or,the big Dyna,but that's 2 or three grand ?? :duh: :D

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:10 am »
:D  i was wondering if this question was moot.if Rega is good enough for R&R,what cart does that old music justice ?? got a Dyna XX2 on it right now.some say the 17D2 or 3 works or sounds better.or,the big Dyna,but that's 2 or three grand ?? :duh: :D

The Dyna XX2 is fine.  What is the rest of your system?  You already have a RAWKIN front end.  Don't let audiophile nervosa make you green with envy.  There are some things your P9 won't do that the bigger tables can (huge soundstage), but no table I've heard has a more propulsive attack for rock than the P9.  This includes other PRAT favorites like the Well Tempered, Roksan, or Linn.

Seriously, go onto pink fish forum if you want to know what people that live on a steady diet of R n R use.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:16 am »
 :D   the pre is a VAC Sig Ren 2 with a KW750 amp,SP Tech Revs speaking to me.i have to admit,the looks of the big-boy tt's draw one into the abyss.... :lol: thks for the words as it's real easy to 'over-do-it' in this sport.... :D

JakeLA

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2009, 08:53 pm »
I don't understand this talk about PRAT or one table having faster transients than another.   If two tables are running at the same speed, how can one sound faster than the other? 

rayr0683

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2009, 06:24 pm »
That is plain bull.  Its not the table so much that makes its transient attacks, its the cartridge, etc...proper setup, speakers..etc...i have a VPI HW19 MK.IV and have tried various cartridges, this is where the difference comes in.  Cartridges like the Dynavector 10X5, or even the 20X5, if you wanna go there, are nice and fast, cartridges for rock.  Same with other mC Cartroidges, like the Audio Technica's  OC9, the 440ML is excellent in this regard, and inexpensive.  As for MM cartridges, the AT440ML, and the Nagaokas from what Im told are great rock music cartridges.  I can only speak for Sumiko MC's and Audio Technica's....I have a Grado Signature TLZ, which would be similar tro the Grado Sonata of today, and this was good for rock, but not as good or quick as the AT440, or the OC9....the Dynavector 10X5 sounds great with rock on a VPI Scout.  Speakers have much to do with this as well, how quickly the cones can respond.....and as for the Amplification, Id stick with Solid State, or a Hybrid preamp, with solid state Amp.  Rock is my main music as well, and I have had Technics, TEAC and some other DD Japanese tables, but none compare to the VPI.  BTW my VPI is on a suspended subchasis...Sprung....Not the way of todays tables.....I think this makes mine somewhat more airy, quicker as well.

Ray

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2009, 10:48 pm »
I think the table can really only affect the transient attack and so called PRAT in one of two ways.  1) it changes the speed, rotation or affects the constantivity of the rotational speed or 2) it affects the resonance frequency in a way that yields a subjective affect on the "PRAT".

I think I read somewhere that Regas had a "tendency" to always run a bit faster than accurate.  That would yield a quicker sound in the most literal sense.

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2009, 10:59 pm »
That is plain bull.  Its not the table so much that makes its transient attacks, its the cartridge, etc...proper setup, speakers..etc...i have a VPI HW19 MK.IV and have tried various cartridges, this is where the difference comes in.  Cartridges like the Dynavector 10X5, or even the 20X5, if you wanna go there, are nice and fast, cartridges for rock.  Same with other mC Cartridges, like the Audio Technica's  OC9, the 440ML is excellent in this regard, and inexpensive.  As for MM cartridges, the AT440ML, and the Nagaokas from what Im told are great rock music cartridges.  I can only speak for Sumiko MC's and Audio Technica's....I have a Grado Signature TLZ, which would be similar tro the Grado Sonata of today, and this was good for rock, but not as good or quick as the AT440, or the OC9....the Dynavector 10X5 sounds great with rock on a VPI Scout.  Speakers have much to do with this as well, how quickly the cones can respond.....and as for the Amplification, Id stick with Solid State, or a Hybrid preamp, with solid state Amp.  Rock is my main music as well, and I have had Technics, TEAC and some other DD Japanese tables, but none compare to the VPI.  BTW my VPI is on a suspended subchasis...Sprung....Not the way of todays tables.....I think this makes mine somewhat more airy, quicker as well.

Ray

I'm with Ray on this one. I have 6 tables with the Audio Technica AT440MLa on them. They all for the most part sound the same. Some tables with better arms or platters may have a bit wider soundstage, but the pace timing and sonics are all virtually the same. Therefore, the cartridge (IMHO) has more to do with the sound then the rest of the chain (assuming it's not a 39 dollar Montgomery Wards table).

Wayner

andyr

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2009, 11:01 pm »
:D  what cart does that old music justice ??

Ortofon Kontrapunkt 'A' (but the 'C' is the one to go for if you listen to classical ... according to a mate of mine who owns both).  :D

Regards,

Andy