best 15'' driver's for the job(0-300hz)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: best 15'' driver's for the job(0-300hz)
« Reply #40 on: 18 Mar 2009, 09:33 pm »
But I feel a pro amp is ideal to drive these kinds of big woofers.
I agree. That's what I'm using.

Bob

dmiller

« Reply #41 on: 18 Mar 2009, 09:41 pm »
Hey Bob, in researching Dayton, I saw you sold some woofers out of a sub. several months ago. Those units had pretty good specs for OB. Did you consider using those Dayton in OB?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 18 Mar 2009, 09:49 pm »
Yea I did (think about it), but never got around to it. At the time, there was something about the specs I didn't like for OB, but can't recall what it was.
Funny you mention that sale ad I had, the buyer paid me for the enclosure and drivers months ago, but still hasn't picked them up.  :duh:

Maybe if I can find the time I could install them in the spare Augie baffles I have, wire them up and play some test tones.  :icon_twisted:

Bob

Telstar

« Reply #43 on: 18 Mar 2009, 10:52 pm »
dmiller,

I cannot find that woofer on Dayton website. But I found a nice 12-incher that can compete with the Peerless 315 if the price is right.

QT305-4 12" Quatro Specifications

* Power Handling: 250 watts RMS/500 watts max
    * VCdia: 2-1/2"
    * Le: 2.5 mH
    * Znom: 4 ohms
    * Re: 3.50 ohms
    * Frequency range: 25-200 Hz
    * Magnet weight: 56 oz.
    * Fs: 27 Hz
    * SPL: 93.6 dB 2.83V/1m
    * Vas: 4.24 cu. ft.
    * Qms: 10.5
    * Qes: .37
    * Qts: .36
    * Xmax: 10 mm
    * Dimensions:
      Overall Diameter: 12"
      Cutout Diameter: 11"
      Mounting Depth: 6"

dmiller

« Reply #44 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:01 pm »
I think I found it at the bottom of classics. The one above is interesting too:

DCS380-4 15 " Subwoofer 4 OHM Specifications

* Power handling: 250 watts RMS/350 watts max
    * Voice coil diameter: 2"
    * Le: 2.30 mH
    * Impedance: 4 ohms
    * Re: 3.1 ohms
    * Frequency range: 20-500 Hz
    * Fs: 20 Hz
    * SPL: 92 dB 2.83V/1m (89)
    * Vas: 9.70 cu. ft.
    * Qms: 4.00
    * Qes: .50
    * Qts: .44
    * Xmax: 8.5 mm

dmiller

« Reply #45 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:07 pm »
There's also the 18" version that looks pretty good:

The Dayton Classic 18" Subwoofer is an excellent general-purpose subwoofer that works well as a replacement in powered subwoofer systems, or for new system design and construction. For the utmost versatility, the parameters are suitable for sealed or vented enclosures. The heavy-duty cone, wide-roll rubber surround, and long linear excursion ensure excellent low-bass performance. Specificaitons: * Power handling: 300 watts RMS/450 watts max * VCdia: 3" * Le: 2.96 mH * Impedance: 4 ohms * Re: 3.2 ohms * Frequency range: 22-500 Hz * Fs: 25 Hz * SPL: 94 dB 2.83V/1m, 91 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 9.90 cu. ft. * Qms: 5.64 * Qes: .51 * Qts: .47 * Xmax: 8.25mm * Dimensions: A: 18", B: 17", C: 6-7/8".

dmiller

« Reply #46 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:08 pm »
deeleted

dmiller

« Reply #47 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:15 pm »

x2 for the Hawthorne Augies, very nice drivers.  I use them in my DIY OBs in my 2 channel room:

Ed's design is my inspiration. No problem with 18" in this design, IMO.

miguel42

« Reply #48 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:27 pm »
looks like I'm down to the final pair..
hawthorns silver iris ob Augie's or AE's ob15's(when i can get a reply)
looks like a bit of a tough one,having not heard either ?
any thought's !!!!!!!  'dont forget they are crossing over at 380 hz'
thanks mike..

ebag4

« Reply #49 on: 18 Mar 2009, 11:34 pm »

I was thinking about your DIY speakers Ed. I still think they're sexy.  :wink:

Bob
Gee, thanks Bob   :oops:.... :lol:

[/quote]

I'm glad you like them.  FWIW, the 15" Augies can produce more bass than I need in my small space (10.5'x12.5'x8'), the level is barely turned up on the amps.  They each have their own 100 watt sub amp and are crossed at 200 Hz.  The baffle they are in is approximately 18" high and 28" wide, although with the curved baffle they appear to be about 24" wide.  Best of luck with the build.

Best,
Ed

pedroskova

« Reply #50 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:15 am »
thanks mike..

The AE is superior in every way on paper, and has a good reputation.  It also would allow you to experiment with crossovers well above 300Hz, which could prove useful while prototyping.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:50 am »
I cannot find that woofer on Dayton website.
I think I found it at the bottom of classics.
If you guys are talking about my Dayton's, Here's a link to the Parts Express page with specs.

Bob

Telstar

« Reply #52 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:50 am »

Yes, it's a nice looking baffle. :)

Unfortunatley, I dont have the floor spacing to go over 40cm (it would cover the rack). So it's 15" max, while the 12" is very temping for aesthetic reasons.

doak

« Reply #53 on: 19 Mar 2009, 07:31 pm »
thanks mike..

The AE is superior in every way on paper, and has a good reputation.  It also would allow you to experiment with crossovers well above 300Hz, which could prove useful while prototyping.

What's the price on the AE TD-Dipol???

Anyone have a link to info/data?

Doak

miguel42

« Reply #54 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:46 pm »
finally made the choice to go with the ob 15's only to find out not available until end of may !!! (if all goes well)...i don't suppose anybody has an extra pair lying around or is john open to a bribe..
mike

pedroskova

« Reply #55 on: 20 Mar 2009, 12:36 am »
Well, that's the price to be paid for choosing essentially handmade products instead of batch-made products from China. Granted, you may not care whether it's made in the U.S., but it warms the cockles of my heart that this is still possible. In the meantime, the added delay could work to your advantage because it will allow you to think and rethink your initial assumptions. You may end up learning something that makes you change directions with regard to other drivers, etc..

...just trying to find a silver lining here.  :wink:

Sjef

« Reply #56 on: 1 Apr 2009, 08:49 am »
I see a lot of recommendation for the Hawthorne Augie everywhere. In fact that's why I also bought a pair about a year ago to see if they would perform better in OB then my vintage JBL woofers do. Unfortunatly I'm very sorry to say that they don't. They don't even come close,they can not be used up to 300Hz that's for sure, they sound very muddy that high up. I would not use them any higher then 80Hz or so and even then with at least 24db/oct crossover otherwise it starts to sound muddy again very soon. The JBL provide much more punch and are playing very effortless compared to the augies. When you are using a good woofer in your system you will notice that the whole spectrum will benefit. When I use the JBL's as subs up to 80Hz the system gets more ease, more air, lows, mids, highs all sound better, imaging improves a lot. With the Augie's this never happened. Very sorry to say this but all I want to say is be carefull with other peoples recommendations it just might not be your cup of tea.

ebag4

« Reply #57 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:28 pm »
I see a lot of recommendation for the Hawthorne Augie everywhere. In fact that's why I also bought a pair about a year ago to see if they would perform better in OB then my vintage JBL woofers do. Unfortunatly I'm very sorry to say that they don't. They don't even come close,they can not be used up to 300Hz that's for sure, they sound very muddy that high up. I would not use them any higher then 80Hz or so and even then with at least 24db/oct crossover otherwise it starts to sound muddy again very soon. The JBL provide much more punch and are playing very effortless compared to the augies. When you are using a good woofer in your system you will notice that the whole spectrum will benefit. When I use the JBL's as subs up to 80Hz the system gets more ease, more air, lows, mids, highs all sound better, imaging improves a lot. With the Augie's this never happened. Very sorry to say this but all I want to say is be carefull with other peoples recommendations it just might not be your cup of tea.

I would have to say you need to look elsewhere for your issue if you say the Augie can't be used even at 80 hz.  I have been using my Augies up to 200 Hz with outstanding results for close to 3 years now, in fact they have been my bass driver of choice in my last 4 builds.  But you do offer some good advise, "be carefull with other peoples recommendations it just might not be your cup of tea".

Best,
Ed

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:43 pm »
 :whip: :lol:

ebag4

« Reply #59 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:57 pm »
:whip: :lol:

Alright Bob, perhaps that was a little abrupt, it was the first post I read today  :lol:.  But seriously, have you EVER heard anything coming out of an Augie that could be remotely classified as "muddy"?  I know I haven't, musical, clean, articulate, yes...but muddy, never.

I probably need more caffine, feeling a bit grumpy today. :wink:

Best,
Ed